600 or 800

Are the tone breaks that important if you don't relic hunt though? I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting the 800, or get the 600 with the 6" coil. Some places I hunt have ridiculous amounts of iron in the soil, either nails, or rust halos. My AT Pro I simply set the iron disc to 35 or so...how much benefit would I get from the tone breaks?

I like the idea of the wireless included in the 800, but that's not worth the extra 250 to me, which means that the main difference that I'd use would be the tone breaks.

The tone breaks arent that important at all , but just sayin I have seen where it could be beneficial. You can set the ferrous tones on the 600 , but with the 800 you can adjust the non ferrous as well. When it all comes down to you meshing with the machine , being able to dial it in to your preferences could make a difference. I dont regret the 600 but in hind sight , if I had the extra money , I dont think it would be wasted on the 800.

On the other hand , getting the 600 and spending the difference on the small coil makes a huge amount of sense as well.

As far as the wireless headphones go , thats a pay now or pay later consideration. Paying later can have its advantage short term , but you will almost surely decide wireless is the way to go.

Also , even though I dont know from first hand experience but it has been reported by some that the extra beach and gold settings available on the 800 cab be useful even in some non beach or gold hunting situations. This may be the least important point but its worth consideration.

As calabash and others demonstrated in videos the faster recovery speed available with the 800 can potentially make a difference in a dense target situation even though the 600 is usually plenty fast.

Both models have their benefit in one way or another. Both are a good choice. There is a lot to consider but I dont think you could go wrong with either one.

I have the 800 and really like the adjustability. I can set it so silver and gold come in loud and clear. I can set the volume low or completely notch out pesky bottle caps and zinc pennies if I want too. Unless you want to wear sunglasses at night with the 600, the adjustable backlight of the 800 is great for low light and for total darkness hunting too. I have had mine since February and am having the best year ever finding old coins and relics. I think it's well worth the extra money for all the features. As with almost any scientific instrument, the more features you can get typically equals more user friendly enjoyment. :D

tone breaks are helpful with hearing problems

Are the tone breaks that important if you don't relic hunt though? I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting the 800, or get the 600 with the 6" coil. Some places I hunt have ridiculous amounts of iron in the soil, either nails, or rust halos. My AT Pro I simply set the iron disc to 35 or so...how much benefit would I get from the tone breaks?

I like the idea of the wireless included in the 800, but that's not worth the extra 250 to me, which means that the main difference that I'd use would be the tone breaks.

I have reduced ability to hear higher tones in my right ear. So it helps me to increase the pitch on some tone breaks set for items I am seeking like 3 ringers and also to increase the volume on those same sought after items. I leave the iron at a deep low rumble so I can keep my ears peeled for home sites or other sites indicating human activity. Iron is a good indicator along with ceramic pieces which of course I eyeball. That was the main reason I bought the 800 over the 600. Of course beach and gold modes were a big plus also when it comes to resale value down the road.

But the 800 comes with a learning challenge, trust me on that one.

Back
Top Bottom