Diamonds and Gold

30U Plymouth

Elite Member
Hager (hunting buddy) and I had a great time at a local lake on Saturday. Since we have water hunted for many years...we have been able to find many rings including gold and silver.
You may even recall the big diamond ring that was posted here last year that we found while hunting for a man's lost wedding band.I

Well....we did it again.
This ring was found Saturday and hasn't been appraised yet, but a friend of ours, who knows his jewelry, thinks this one could be in the neighborhood of $10 grand.

Getting appraised soon...Will let you know when I know something.

Diamonds look a little dull in the images because of the silt still on the back of stones.

Attachments

• IMG_0873.jpg
    IMG_0873.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,878
  • IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,787
I found one diamond ring with an oval stone like that. The melter in Texas paid me $100 for the stone.:yes:
Nice ring btw.

Hager (hunting buddy) and I had a great time at a local lake on Saturday. Since we have water hunted for many years...we have been able to find many rings including gold and silver.
You may even recall the big diamond ring that was posted here last year that we found while hunting for a man's lost wedding band.I

Well....we did it again.
This ring was found Saturday and hasn't been appraised yet, but a friend of ours, who knows his jewelry, thinks this one could be in the neighborhood of $10 grand.

Getting appraised soon...Will let you know when I know something.

Diamonds look a little dull in the images because of the silt still on the back of stones.

Given the sizes, I predict this will come in around $1800-$2800 retail depending on how generous the appraiser is, rather than $10K.

Stones smaller than a carat just don't have the $$ power to spike the price. Add to that the current unpopularity of the marquis cut (they were really popular in the 1990s), and it's just never going to hit $10K.

Those side stones are somewhere between 2.1mm, and 2.5mm, leading me to think they're .05carat stones (closer to 2.4mm). 12 of them only equals .6 carats.

the center marquis cut, looks about 8.75x4.25 mm, which puts it at .70 carats.

Add them up and you get a total carat weight of about 1.3. Unless those stones are above VVS1 quality, you're just not going to get the high value appraisal. If the stones are lousy, you might come in UNDER $1800.

The "true" value of an aftermarket ring like that is somewhere around 15% of retail, meaning you might get $270-$420, and that's if you can find a buyer for the used ring.

Wish the diamond aftermarket was as good as the retail, but I suspect you'll be better off outright selling this thing for $400, if you can find a buyer, than to spend the $60-$80 on an appraisal.

If you've got a jeweler friend that can sell it on commission, then you might have a chance of selling it at a higher value.

Good luck!

Skippy

That's a nice one! You get that outta Wappa? I get over there once or twice a year but you guys keep those beaches pretty cleaned up of the jewelry :yes: . Got a nice little 18k band last year but that was about it.

Given the sizes, I predict this will come in around $1800-$2800 retail depending on how generous the appraiser is, rather than $10K.

Stones smaller than a carat just don't have the $$ power to spike the price. Add to that the current unpopularity of the marquis cut (they were really popular in the 1990s), and it's just never going to hit $10K.

Those side stones are somewhere between 2.1mm, and 2.5mm, leading me to think they're .05carat stones (closer to 2.4mm). 12 of them only equals .6 carats.

the center marquis cut, looks about 8.75x4.25 mm, which puts it at .70 carats.

Add them up and you get a total carat weight of about 1.3. Unless those stones are above VVS1 quality, you're just not going to get the high value appraisal. If the stones are lousy, you might come in UNDER $1800.

The "true" value of an aftermarket ring like that is somewhere around 15% of retail, meaning you might get $270-$420, and that's if you can find a buyer for the used ring.

Wish the diamond aftermarket was as good as the retail, but I suspect you'll be better off outright selling this thing for $400, if you can find a buyer, than to spend the $60-$80 on an appraisal.

If you've got a jeweler friend that can sell it on commission, then you might have a chance of selling it at a higher value.

Good luck!

Skippy
What he said. Get the ring polished and cleaned up nice. Then take a good look at the big diamond... if you see anything inside it forget the appraisal.

Congrats on your great find! The thrill of uncovering that must have been exhilarating! Nomatter what it could sell for, it's a spectacular ring, & a sweet recovery. :clapping:

Sadly those are hard to move unless they are Vera Wang or some other famous brand. Even then expect to get 20% of a reasonable evaluation. We visit jewelers all the time with diamond finds. Ask what they go for and you get the 10 grand figure. Ask if they want to buy a 10 grand ring and they won't offer over 400 bucks. Nice find though. Stinks if they get hit with a scoop.

Nice find man! It really stinks about diamonds though, hard to move anything small, i think you'd get the best price on ebay.

A jeweler friend that can sell it on commission says he would price it for around $2000 and my cut would be $1200.

Sounds like I'm doing all the work and the jeweler is getting the riches.
But, $1200 isn't bad for something I found in the water.

Congrats on the Icy chedda! No matter how much you get for it in the end, just remember its all free money anyway :cool3:

Back
Top Bottom