Nickel (Buffalo) hunt - Part III

ToySoldier

Forum Supporter
Yes, I'm still trying to dig a buffalo nickel from this pull tab infested private permission.

I'm up to 67 nickels, including 6 war nickels. I find a few nickels each time I visit the site, but on my buffalo hunt days I favor the nickels and spend more time trying to tease out repeatable nickel signals between all of the old pull tabs.

The coins and junk in the photo below were from yesterday evening's nickel hunt. All of the coins were at least 4 inches deep, and most were around 6". I was digging higher conductor signals if they were showing up as deep, which explains the 1942 Merc and the pennies. The pennies included a 1917 (not double die), 1919, 1929, and a 1930. That's solidly in the buffalo nickel era. Four of the nickels were from the 1940s, including two from 1940, and a 1942 war nickel.

Also below is a chart showing the dates of all 67 nickels dug from the site so far, including 11 total from the 1940s. Except for the recently dropped coin from 2017, the nickels range from 1940 to 1994. It's interesting to see evidence of the prevalence of 1964 nickels that were in circulation. Other than that, the nickels are evenly spread out from 1940 to 1994. No nickels in the past 25 years except for a lonely 2017. None from 1913-1938 either.

This is one of the cleanest hunts I've had. I've spent so much time on this site that I've nailed down a custom program on the Nox and a technique that suits the property. Half of the junk in the photo wasn't the main target and just happened to be in a hole with a coin.

There's got to be a Buffalo grazing in there somewhere!

Parts I and II here:
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=272061
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=272126

Attachments

• buffalo hunt 3.jpg
    buffalo hunt 3.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 427
  • nickel hunt in progress.jpg
    nickel hunt in progress.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 333
That's quite the nickel quest you're on there! Seems like a fair chance for a Buffalo in there too. I can tell you that deep buffalo nickels often give a not so crisp signal. Broken, junky signals; bouncing 10, 11, 12 on a 'nox. Good luck!

Just an observation from my nickel digging experience: a lot of my buffaloes and Vs ring in with a bouncy 11/12 VDI that is consistent as I circle the target. I’ve had some really corroded Jefferson’s with the same numbers, but modern nickels usually come in at 11/12/13, and even up to 14 at times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...I can tell you that deep buffalo nickels often give a not so crisp signal. Broken, junky signals; bouncing 10, 11, 12 on a 'nox....

....a lot of my buffaloes and Vs ring in with a bouncy 11/12 VDI that is consistent as I circle the target. I’ve had some really corroded Jefferson’s with the same numbers, but modern nickels usually come in at 11/12/13, and even up to 14 at times.

Thanks, all. I'm mostly looking for repeatable 12/13, even if it bounces to 14 as I waggle away at the edge of the target. Sometimes the 14 is coming off a nearby pull tab and sometimes it's just the orientation of the coin and the dirt playing tricks. If I skipped the signals bouncing to 14, then I wouldn't have dug half of those nickels, including nearly all of the war nickels. On the other hand, a steady repeating 14 at the center of the target that bounces down to 13 or 12 is no good, at least as far as being a nickel.

In other words, I haven't paid much attention to the 11/12 on this property. On the first few hunts I kept getting skunked with detached beaver tails.

But, if I want a buffalo then I'll take your advice and adjust things. Hopefully that results in a buffalo before I end up with a pouch full of beavers.

Congrats on all the nickels! Did I miss what this permission was or did you never divulge. Sure is a lot of nickels though. Hard to believe you are getting silver war nickels and no Buffs. I bet you find one before it's over. One other thing is I find just about as many V nickels as I do Buffs for some reason. I actually found a couple of V's before I ever found a Buff.

Congrats on all the nickels! Did I miss what this permission was or did you never divulge.

I haven't said. It's an interesting property. One of the owner's concerns about me detecting was other people seeing me out there and having to deal with others asking permission or just assuming it's OK for them and trespassing.

Sure is a lot of nickels though. Hard to believe you are getting silver war nickels and no Buffs. I bet you find one before it's over. One other thing is I find just about as many V nickels as I do Buffs for some reason. I actually found a couple of V's before I ever found a Buff.

Thanks. I hope so! This year I've dug a total of 8 war nickels and no V nickels or buffaloes. I had high hopes and good reason to believe this property would produce a lot of turn of the century coins, and I'm a bit perplexed that it hasn't.

Good luck on your quest for Tatonka. For a long time it seemed the Buff was my white whale but finally got on them. The Equinox was a big help. I concur with others on the comment on Buff signals, I have dug 8 this year and pretty sure they all dipped down showing an 11 in the numbers as do most V nickels, but that tone is pretty clear. I have had a couple deep worn V nickels dip down to 10. War nickels for me have always seem to hold a steady 13 and maybe an occasional 14. What settings do you use ? HH Mark

Back
Top Bottom