Strippin for silver- 3 more gets me to 31 FTY along with another first!

MTtrashdigger

Elite Member
Played hooky for a couple hours today and went back to the old strips that have been good to me the last few trips. Stopped at a house that looked promising, let the homeowner know what I was doing, got the green light and went to work. Junk, copper memorials and a couple of clad dimes and began to think the strip had newer fill. Then I dug a fairly shallow 25 signal and it turned out to be a 1944 wheat. Things were looking up.
I always dig solid 13 nickel signals but I don't always dig jumpy 12-14s because 99% of the time they turn out to be pull tabs or beavertails. But for some reason, when I got a fairly shallow 13-14, I decided to dig. I pulled a predictable nickel but this one wasn't nearly as dark brown as they usually are, so I took a closer look and low and behold , I had found my very first war nickel, a 1942. Not 5 feet away, I got another almost identical 13-14, although deeper than the last one, so I dug this one as well. It turned out to be another war nickel, this one a 1945. Now the Equinox is a nickel killer, and I dig a lot of nickels, but up until today, I had never even seen a real war nickel, much less dug one. But today I got two!
Now if that wasn't enough, I went across the driveway and did the last few feet of the curb strip and pulled another beautiful Mercury dime, this one a 1940. Thanks for looking and good luck out there!!

Attachments

• war nickels merc and wheat 8-21-19.jpg
    war nickels merc and wheat 8-21-19.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 232
Very nice MTtrashdigger! I don't think I've dug a war nickel for a month or two here in Western Montana. They are a bit jumpy on the AT Pro too, sometimes 49-54 on the readout, but if down even a few inches I'll dig that signal.

Very nice MTtrashdigger! I don't think I've dug a war nickel for a month or two here in Western Montana. They are a bit jumpy on the AT Pro too, sometimes 49-54 on the readout, but if down even a few inches I'll dig that signal.

Thanks! I dig repeatable solid nickel signals no matter what, but they are usually shallow. The Equinox is so good on nickels, when I get a solid, repeatable 13, I would almost bet my detector that it is a nickel. I have never dug a Buffalo or V nickel , so I don't know what they sound like. But after today, I guess I will be digging more of the jumpy ones.

A couple of the guys I detect with use the Nox 600 and the Nox 800. A deep nickel might jump down to a 12-13 rather than a steady 13, and they are usually Buffs or V nickels with that signal. You are right, the Nox does slay the nickels!

When I get a questionable really deep nickel signal on the AT Pro, I have one of my buds check it with their Nox, and usually it is a 12-13 or a steady 13.

Wow, that's a sweat hunt - and good example of why digging the iffy's can reward! Two war nickels is amazing! I've only found 2 ever :lol:

Congrats!

Congrats on the nice finds. I really need to start curb strip detecting as well.

HD

Thank you for making me look good on my prediction Montana. It sure did not take you long to conquer the 30 Silver coin plateau. Congrats on the War Nickels and the Merc. Trapper

Back
Top Bottom