Hickory $5.50 per Cord, but That's not the Point..

5 mile

Forum Supporter
Was reading online newspapers, this ad from 1898. This particular paper goes back to 1895. I can do a keyword search too, scanning the entire paper and it will highlight that article where that word appears.

These can be a good source of information, although not for firewood, but a lot of information that cant be found elsewhere, social gathering locations, churches, fairs (not all were held at fairgrounds), ghost towns, old business locations, names of people etc.

Attachments

• IMAG0613[1].jpg
    IMAG0613[1].jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 312
Cool! It just goes to show you, in perspective, when we find an Dime or Q from that era, how much value/work went into earning that..! Sheesh! Thats a lot of work for $5.50! Delivered! Hickory is hard and heavy!! No chainsaws around then either! Or cars! A guy really had to sweat to earn a nickel!

When a guy finds old 1800's silver, it represents a real tragic loss back then to somebody! Good Post 5Mile!

Cool ad. I enjoy reading the old papers, especially the ads. And Mud is right, the coins found from the 1940's back bought a lot more. Of course it took longer to earn them as well. A dime could be an hours worth of HARD work. No push button jobs back then. Just think what a 10 or 20 dollar gold pice was worth back then, and how long it took to earn that much.
Now don't get me wrong, I know that gold and silver isn't just jumping out of the ground and into our pockets, and that we have a considerable investment in our equipment, time, and effort. Just remember what those coins were worth back then, and maybe be a little more thankful than we are sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom