nox and the ctx

sube

I have only 2 hunts with the nox instead of leaving the ctx behind and using just the nox take them both with you and check targets between the 2 I have found 3 targets that the ctx would not have alerted me to that the nox had told me there was a coin there or some non-ferrous metal .The ctx gave me a target trace in the same place as the id did on the nox but no audio so I really didn't try different settings with the ctx time was not on my side .

Here's the thing about using 2 different metal detectors, I think people who take them both will understand how to use both detectors better than if you only had one such as why the ctx gives a better target id than the nox on a certain target or the nox finding a target that the ctx gives no audio .Now by using different settings which I did not have time you will be able to dial in each detector for the best response if possible and understand why one detector locates and one does not .

Again these are wild targets with halos of iron and ground minerals and co-located targets intact what better testing ground than air test nail board test and so on . You might not find many coins because of all the checking and setting changes but rest assure that thing between your ears is going to get a PhD in audio id target trace and so on .

Randy aka digger said it best conductive targets don't always lock on with a positive TID number, or provide a consistent audio tone. The beauty of the EQUINOX, as you well know, is it's ability to sort through the trash, separate targets and provide enough information to make us stop and dig. HH Randy

This well also apply to the ctx or any machine now if the 33 inches of snow I got melts I may get out again this year lol. sube

I have only 2 hunts with the nox instead of leaving the ctx behind and using just the nox take them both with you and check targets between the 2 I have found 3 targets that the ctx would not have alerted me to that the nox had told me there was a coin there or some non-ferrous metal .The ctx gave me a target trace in the same place as the id did on the nox but no audio so I really didn't try different settings with the ctx time was not on my side .

Here's the thing about using 2 different metal detectors, I think people who take them both will understand how to use both detectors better than if you only had one such as why the ctx gives a better target id than the nox on a certain target or the nox finding a target that the ctx gives no audio .Now by using different settings which I did not have time you will be able to dial in each detector for the best response if possible and understand why one detector locates and one does not .

Again these are wild targets with halos of iron and ground minerals and co-located targets intact what better testing ground than air test nail board test and so on . You might not find many coins because of all the checking and setting changes but rest assure that thing between your ears is going to get a PhD in audio id target trace and so on .

Randy aka digger said it best conductive targets don't always lock on with a positive TID number, or provide a consistent audio tone. The beauty of the EQUINOX, as you well know, is it's ability to sort through the trash, separate targets and provide enough information to make us stop and dig. HH Randy

This well also apply to the ctx or any machine now if the 33 inches of snow I got melts I may get out again this year lol. sube

Exactly what i posted 2 years ago, ctx will see it in target trace , but no way no how to get it to tone off, i sold it and bought a deus, i now use the nox.

Explain to me why you need a CTX then?
Well I don't think you do.
I've had detectors that have found a deep this or that and at times have done something I thought was amazing.. then I got a Deus where it did alot of things great and was light weight and easy to use. Great detector. Better than probably any I've used.. now the nox 600 and 800 come along.. it matches the Deus or betters it in 98% of everything. There may be that 1 or 2 targets the Deus can hit while wearing a HF coil using a high frequency that the nox may miss if going in the wrong direction. But I see these as very very few targets. Now what the nox does better may be a longer list...beach hunt, water hunt and there are targets the nox finds that the Deus will not hit. Two very good machines so close in what they do.

Explain to me why you need a CTX then?
Don't know yet there's lots of test that were done but I am interested in what happens in the field in my SOIL . Real targets in the wild testing one against the other not air test or recently dug test gardens .

Since there are no in depth test like I explained how can you judge one detector against another I like real facts .

I did a lot of test on the nox had it for over a month but only 2 in the wild hunts I did find 3 targets that the ctx would not alert to but I can't judge it on so small of a test .

I also have seen where the nox is silent on nail and coin hits and the ctx gave me a target trace letting me know there was a target there and the nox did not see .

The nox has it's place and so does the ctx one better than the other would only be guessing now .As far as I am concerned I want to know what the nox does compared to the ctx and it's strong points and weak points only testing well give you the answers in your SOIL not what you read on the forums where some ones soil is different than yours .

One other point the nox well not be as deep as the ctx 17 x 13inch coil verses the 15 x12 so why no 17 x 13 for the nox . sube

Last edited:
Nox and CTX.
To start with to get the most performed out of a Nox model-- one must have 800 model.

Here are some things a person should consider when deciding which to buy.

Price
Big difference.

How deep are your older coins generally.
Some soil types and mineral types and possibly even a gravel layer (depth wise) beneath surface can affect coin depths.

So for 9" and shallower coins Nox may do.
A little deeper CTX will do. (This is how they compare in my soil using clad or silver dime). Milder soil, both may be deeper.
Hunting in iron.
Nox has advantage for speed of hunting.

CTX can do, user will have to hunt reallll slow. Not all targets will be hit with CTX a Nox user will hit. In the gaps a CTX user may hit some thing a Nox user won't hit.

Weight
Big difference between the 2.

If you are into relics, IMO Equinox best choice without a doubt.

I Don't do salt water, so no advice or opinion.

ID of detected targets.
CTX more accurate, remember a user must detect (locate) a target to ID.

A user can be successful with both.

Maybe these 2 scenarios will help.

In cleaner ground where a skilled CTX user has lived with stock coil.

I would pass on such a site looking for higher conductive coins with Nox.
Or said another way, it'll be tough to load your pouch.

In sites with loads of trash and nails.
I would hunt behind a CTX user anyday of the week.

Now, a stock coiled CTX ain't going to get you all what CTX is capable of.
Neither will a stock coiled Equinox.
But Equinox with stock coil, the way it works its coil can act somewhat smaller than reality.

My 2 cents here.
If I was going to go all in with detector(s) purchase.

I would get Etrac with stock coil.
And add an Equinox 800 and stock coil.
Then add a 6" coil to the Nox, and maybe a 8" coil for Etrac.
You hunt a site hard with all the above (after you know what you are doing using), please let me know where you were.

I'll gladly dodge that spot. and go some where's else.

Or I would get Etrac with stock coil.
And add a Makro Kruzer unit and stock coil.
And get a 8" coil for Etrac and a small coil for Kruzer.

Either way you go, you'll definitely have some great detecting capabilities.

Etrac is a better detector for the $$$ vs CTX as long as you don't water hunt.
Why?
Show me a you tube where one is hitting a deep coin (stock coils used) where CTX is hitting and the Etrac is whiffing. Don't think you'll find one. An honest one anyway.

Yeah you'll hear about CTX and target trace. Well, I don't think it adds that much to the unit (as long) as you are skilled using.
Position and behavior of cursor on Etrac is the tell all in addition to tone and its behavior.

Whatever you decide good luck.
The Etrac is a more proven reliable detector too.
Knock on wood here.
Why?
Cause I have one, my third actually.
Had 2 ctxs too.

Last edited:
tnsharpshooter said Yeah you'll hear about CTX and target trace. Well, I don't think it adds that much to the unit (as long) as you are skilled using.
Position and behavior of cursor on Etrac is the tell all in addition to tone and its behavior.
I disagree with this nail east west with coin under the nail ctx gives iron curser in corner and coin id on the 12 line blended might be 12.25 to 12.45 etrac iron only
but ctx well give both .

I have a ? for you and calabash you both seen where the nox would tone and id on a east west hit with the coin under the nail down the barrel nickel id would be 2 to 9 not 13 same for the ctx but you have to have 6 inch at least between the target and coil and the tone is coming after you sweep the target like on the end of the swing right where you would get a response from a nail either side of coil but that 6 inch distance with no tone from the nox the ctx will give target trace giving you a clue a non-ferrous item is there .

I have seen a lot of posters here say that they have trouble pinpointing coins this would be because of how a nail and coin react together say you get a trailing high tone in only one direction coming off a nail and hitting said coin that high tone is coming off the trailing edge of the coil .If you dig where the sound is no dice same as a coin on edge two hits go between now on the trailing hit must go back a half coil length to find target .

One other thing should be mention here how do you sweep my preferred sweep is one inch forward at a time gets that one way coin in either direction or a double sweep sweeping the same path as the first but coming back the other way . sube

Last edited:
Don't know yet there's lots of test that were done but I am interested in what happens in the field in my SOIL . Real targets in the wild testing one against the other not air test or recently dug test gardens .

Since there are no in depth test like I explained how can you judge one detector against another I like real facts .

I did a lot of test on the nox had it for over a month but only 2 in the wild hunts I did find 3 targets that the ctx would not alert to but I can't judge it on so small of a test .

I also have seen where the nox is silent on nail and coin hits and the ctx gave me a target trace letting me know there was a target there and the nox did not see .

The nox has it's place and so does the ctx one better than the other would only be guessing now .As far as I am concerned I want to know what the nox does compared to the ctx and it's strong points and weak points only testing well give you the answers in your SOIL not what you read on the forums where some ones soil is different than yours .

One other point the nox well not be as deep as the ctx 17 x 13inch coil verses the 15 x12 so why no 17 x 13 for the nox . sube

When i compare stock 11 inch coils the NOX wins hands down. I have gotten some signals on my etrac with 8x6 sef coil that nox with stock will not tone on. But that is not a fair comparison since the 8x6 coil is a bit smaller. I am waiting on the small nox coil then i can give a more accurate idea of how they will compare. I believe right now where most of us testers are impressed with the ability of the nox to unmask even with a 11 inch coil.

When i compare stock 11 inch coils the NOX wins hands down. I have gotten some signals on my etrac with 8x6 sef coil that nox with stock will not tone on. But that is not a fair comparison since the 8x6 coil is a bit smaller. I am waiting on the small nox coil then i can give a more accurate idea of how they will compare. I believe right now where most of us testers are impressed with the ability of the nox to unmask even with a 11 inch coil.

I just compared my CTX 11" to my Nox 800 and the Nox *outperformed it. *This was an air test.

CTX (manual 27-30, no descrim, deep on) vs Nox (Park 2, All Metal, 23-25 sensitivity, 4 recovery).

Obviously the CTX 17" might be another story.

Nox and CTX.
. . .
My 2 cents here.
If I was going to go all in with detector(s) purchase.

I would get Etrac with stock coil.
And add an Equinox 800 and stock coil.
Then add a 6" coil to the Nox, and maybe a 8" coil for Etrac.

I agree with this prescription, although I would probably get the SEF 6x8 or even 6" as the second coil for the Etrac. I have the Etrac and find that the Nox compliments it nicely. I like the Etrac's more accurate target ID and depth, but the Nox is great at unmasking even with its stock coil. It's also light, bright (lcd screen), wireless, and fun. If I were starting with just one machine, it might actually be the Nox.

Back
Top Bottom