Coin Roll Hunting?

raider22

hello all, still new to hobby and very addicted lol, i love my Ace 250 and i've come accross some threads regarding coing roll hunting... was wondering if someone could help me understand... is this searching though coin rolls purchased at a bank? Also do you just ask the bank teller for coin rolls of halfs? pennies? ect... very curious about it... thanks for all the help :)

I was wondering the same thing. I think I have kind of figured out the basics, just not sure how you go about doing it. Just buy some rolls and go through them then re-exchange them if you don't find anything? If the tellers know they are worth something, why wouldn't they put them off to the side for themselves or relatives to exchange? Once you find the "silver", do you bring it to a coin shop or melt it down?

As I understand it, CRHing is exactly as described above.

In the forum, we relegate CRH threads to the "What's the Value?" forum.

When getting the rolls ask for machine rolled. They should be in plastic sleeves. These are suppossed to be the coins from "coin star" etc. machines and would naturally hold a better chance at the older coins. Also with the prices of copper, may want to separate the copper pennies from the "zincolns". Found this info at realcentforum.com

But wouldn't the coinstar machine not accept the silver coin, its lighter than our clad coins today, and I don't really think that they programed it to notice silver coins. I could be wrong but why would they, there are no more silver coins made so why program the machine to accept them? It's just seems logical to me, I have a technology background that gets me into trouble sometimes. LOL. It does make sense doesn't it?

When getting the rolls ask for machine rolled. They should be in plastic sleeves. These are suppossed to be the coins from "coin star" etc. machines and would naturally hold a better chance at the older coins.

I have to disagree. The hand rolled coin rolls would have a better chance at getting silver for the reason stated in the above post and the fact that many roll thier old coins and cash them when they need some extra cash. I worked for a armored car company for about a year and most of the plastic sleeve coin are fresh from the mint, received boxed or in bulk bags to be rolled at the vault by machine. Those are good when looking for a "mistake" coin or new issue coins like the presidential dollars or state coins. We picked up coinstar coins in the bulk bags they go into and turned them over to the Federal Reserve banks. I'm not sure what they did with them from there.

I was only putting in what I read. I do not coin roll hunt so I wouldn't know any of what I wrote to be 100 percent true of what I read. Only trying to give advice from another forum I read info on coin roll hunting. I'm sure it's just like anything else, it takes time to see where the good coins are at.

I was only putting in what I read. I do not coin roll hunt so I wouldn't know any of what I wrote to be 100 percent true of what I read. Only trying to give advice from another forum I read info on coin roll hunting. I'm sure it's just like anything else, it takes time to see where the good coins are at.

No offense meant Fire medic, just relatling my thoughts and experiences.

coin stars reject all silver coins. Your best bet are hand rolled coins that "mom and pop" bring in. Loomis boxes of cents are good for many wheat cents. It is basically the luck of the draw..........................

I took no offense. Just wanted to set it right as far as the information I read. Didn't want to lead any one down the wrong path as far as looking for coins. Just wanted to lend info I read. Don't know wether it's good or bad. I'm sure its a hobby that e'one has there own pros and cons about it. As far as the machines accepting or not accepting silver, I really don't want to volunteer any to see if it does:lol:.

I'm currently fixated on searching pennies. I usually go to the bank and ask for $25 bricks. The pennies are usually always circulated & shotgun rolled.

When I get home, I sit down, break the rolls open, pull any pre-82 lincoln, wheats, etc.. out. Throw the Zincolns in a bag and return them to be counted to a different Bank. For example, I receive my coins from Simmons First Bank & return the coins to Bank of America to be counted and deposited, when I am finished.

I've kept track of my finds over the past few months and below are the my results of doing so...

18% are '59-'82 Copper Memorials, .16% Wheats, .02% Indians, with the occasional brass plate Zincoln or 95 Double Die. I tend to go through 7500 pennies a night, sitting in front of the tv. Thats is 1350 copper memorial cents, 12 wheats, & 1-2 Indian head pennies a night. It wouldn't really be worth doing it unless you expect a spike in the spot price of copper or just love doing it like me.

I re-shotgun-roll the '59-'82 Memorials and seal them back in the cardboard bricks with a hot-glue gun. Then I just throw them back for a rainy day hoping copper prices will shoot up.

In the past, my greatest & easiest finds have been searching half-dollar rolls. They are usually hand-rolled and the local banks have very few. I have received solid rolls of proofs, silver, & even barbers that way. The possibility of finding any other silver in circualtion now days is about .01%.

Thanks for the help all!! by the way how much are Half dollar rolls? i seen the Dollar rolls are $25.

I've been coin roll hunting for about a year now, I'm focusing mostly on bricks of pennies, but have done the occasional brick of nickels. For pennies, like another poster said, is to keep ALL the 59-82 copper memorials since they are worth more as copper than as money, and of course keep all the wheat pennies seperate in another container, and toss all the zinc 82-present pennies back into circulation and keep repeating the process. I also want to mention that there are 7 different varieties of the 1982 penny, they can be either copper or zinc, either small or large date and either P or D mint. The mint switched metals halfway through the year 1982, so I find its best to weight each 1982 penny to seperate out the copper from the zinc. Copper wieghts 3.1 grams and zinc weights 2.5 grams.

For nickels, you might get a couple buffalo's or war nickels per box if your lucky and i've even found a couple V-nickels in bank boxes. You also want to keep all early date CuNi jeffersons in good condition from the pre-war years and even through the 50's. I usually keep all jeffersons dated before 1964 (depending on condition) since these years are starting to fade out of circulation, especially in higher grades.

Half dollars are really hit or miss, you can only score really big by being lucky and in the right place at the right time. The only way to find decent amounts of silver is from customer wrapped rolls that are deposited by someone (mostly older folks) who don't know any better from a pile of coins thats been sitting around for decades. You're not going to get much silver from bank boxes that are constantly cycled through the system that have probably been searched through many time already.

I think I am going to try Coin Hunting this Friday when I get my pay check, I'm going to buy a roll of each coin if I can and see what happens.

I think I am going to try Coin Hunting this Friday when I get my pay check, I'm going to buy a roll of each coin if I can and see what happens.

Thats how a coin roll hunting addiction starts, you start off with a roll or two here and there, then its several rolls next time, then its a box, then its several boxes, and before you know it, you'll need a hand cart to wheel out the several hundred pounds of coins you pull from the bank to search through. :lol:

Thats how a coin roll hunting addiction starts, you start off with a roll or two here and there, then its several rolls next time, then its a box, then its several boxes, and before you know it, you'll need a hand cart to wheel out the several hundred pounds of coins you pull from the bank to search through. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: HAHAHA

I'm hooked on coin roll hunting I started with rolls of halve dollars.And did pretty good silver wise,then I started doing a $25 box of pennies a week.Now I'm up too two boxes a week,that's all my eyes can take:lol:.I'm finding the 2009 pennies now,one roll had a 2009 lincoln and a 1916 wheatie in the same roll just luck of the draw.I'll most likely start getting boxes of dime's,once the ground freezes.HH

Back
Top Bottom