Several old pieces, any information is appreciated.

Fooleeze

Here are pics of several old pieces I pulled from a property. I would love any information about them to help understand if it's worth me to keep hitting the site.

The first is a not quite oval iron ring measuring about 4 inches the long direction.

The second looks like an old brass / copper bowl of some kind. Hard to measure the size, it's so mangled, but I'd guess it would be around 5-6 inches in diameter.

The third photo, on the right, clearly a suspender clip, how old would this be? It also appears to be brass. The piece on the left looks like some kind of buckle, also brass.

The fourth photo, are these clock parts? They were found in the same hole. Appear brass again.

The last is a button, the first I've found. I thought it was brass, but it's certainly worn. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• IMG_20180707_211924.jpg
    IMG_20180707_211924.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_20180707_211945.jpg
    IMG_20180707_211945.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_20180707_211631.jpg
    IMG_20180707_211631.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_20180707_211614.jpg
    IMG_20180707_211614.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_20180707_211739.jpg
    IMG_20180707_211739.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 543
Last edited:
It looks like most of your items are already identified.
It's hard to say just how old they are, probably around 1900.
Where were you hunting?

Yeah, I've got guesses, but was hoping someone would be able to give any more specifics if they are available. Like "Oh, that's an old xxx button made in the late 18yys."

Tt's a home that was built around 1920 here west of Akron, OH. The house was recently demolished. The property was between an 1800s cemetery and an 1800s homesite.

It looks like most of your items are already identified.
It's hard to say just how old they are, probably around 1900.
Where were you hunting?

In your third picture the item on the left is a buckle shield. It is used on horse equipment to keep the horse's tail from getting caught in the buckle. Those were patented in the late 1800s. The other item in that picture is most likely off a woman's garter belt.

Ooh, excellent, thanks. Just found this picture on eBay, looks like a match.

In your third picture the item on the left is a buckle shield. It is used on horse equipment to keep the horse's tail from getting caught in the buckle. Those were patented in the late 1800s. The other item in that picture is most likely off a woman's garter belt.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180708-065842~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20180708-065842~2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 442
It's all old enough to show the site is of worthy age. Should be some old silver around there too.

Yes it is. Silver as well as other older coins, Indians, Buffalo's, etc.

Some of the old rusty and brass stuff is very hard to ID. I have a bucket full from an old farm site.

Keep hitting that site.

That sure looks the same as the one I found. TRUNK HANDLE IT IS! I assume. :)

Hm, could it be something like this?

Your 1st pic reminds me of this trunk handle ..I assume it's a trunk handle anyway.

Attachments

• Trunk Handle.JPG
    Trunk Handle.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 425
  • Trunk Handle 2.JPG
    Trunk Handle 2.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 413
I've found several like that at various sites they are fairly big and heavy duty so I assumed it's overkill for a drawer pull or etc. so I decided it was from a truck or something of that sort.

I'm going to use this piece as my first pass at electrolysis. We'll see how it goes and see if it reveals anything under the crud.

I've found several like that at various sites they are fairly big and heavy duty so I assumed it's overkill for a drawer pull or etc. so I decided it was from a truck or something of that sort.

Well, my first pass of electrolysis went pretty well. This piece was heavily crusted and it took about 5 days total, but it worked!!! I can positively confirm this crusty mess was a trunk or wagon or barrel handle of some kind. Here are the before and after.

Attachments

• IMG_20180708_190636.jpg
    IMG_20180708_190636.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_20180713_110722.jpg
    IMG_20180713_110722.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 274
Great job cleaning that handle.
What steps did you do after removing from the electrolysis bath?
All the stuff I have done is black. How did you get the dark brown color?

The process I used was pretty close to the videos below. I didn't scrub with steel-wool afterward, but only because this was really just my test item. But this was pretty much the process I used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W13T55YQRCA&t=7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrJfF7mWgiw

I posted these same results in the 'cleaning' section. . .
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=2975377#post2975377

Great job cleaning that handle.
What steps did you do after removing from the electrolysis bath?
All the stuff I have done is black. How did you get the dark brown color?

Thanks for posting links.
He did not state what was used for electrolyte.
Sodium carbonate or sodium Bicarbonate?

It may be the electrolyte or wire brushing that makes the difference in final color. I'm going to brush the stuff I did more.

I used Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda (Bought at WalMart). It is Sodium Carbonate.

That 'brown' color you're looking for may be more the coloring of the photographs. Mine is still pretty dark.

Thanks for posting links.
He did not state what was used for electrolyte.
Sodium carbonate or sodium Bicarbonate?

It may be the electrolyte or wire brushing that makes the difference in final color. I'm going to brush the stuff I did more.

I used Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda (Bought at WalMart). It is Sodium Carbonate.

That 'brown' color you're looking for may be more the coloring of the photographs. Mine is still pretty dark.

Thanks for answer.
I have found this week a very technical paper of cleaning finds and covers electrolysis in detail (I'll post a link in a thread). I have been using baking soda which only raises the pH to 8 whereas Washing soda can take pH to over 12. Seems that the higher pH is helpful for iron electrolysis so I need to hit the store for some washing soda.

I have a thread on my finds from the 1800's farm but haven't yet posted pictures of cleaned iron. I am going to try wire brushing more to see if that helps.

Anyway, your handle looks great.

Back
Top Bottom