Coin Roll hunting coming to a stop?

Arisaka

Elite Member
Went into the bank today to bring back my box of dimes got the usual teller nicest one there has never had a problem exchanging them for me so she wasn't trying to give me the run around she said they had a meeting over it that there not supposed to keep giving them out that because every time someone takes one out they have to order a new one so I might have to get them in smaller amounts. She said that they said there a bank not a coin collecting business. I understood and just asked for my money back because I don't want to get her in trouble.

What do you guys think will banks stop coin roll hunting?

Same thing happened to me at my bank. They had a "meeting" with the management and decided they'd start to charge $6.00 a box. I was doing three boxes a week. $24 a week to hunt is too rich for my blood.

yup

its a sad fact that it seems the only people who are suppose to have access to money are those with already to much. at least we dont have a chip in our brains yet!

The old adage folks.........."Nothing lasts forever."..... In some of your lifetimes, metal detecting will become a thing of the past. Coin Roll Hunting is peaking. Banks have figured out a way to make a profit from it. The tv shows and idiots in general have given detectorists a bad name. "Arkies" hate you all. The price of the really good machines will soon outweigh the possible gains. You will see the companies going out of business in the next 2 decades. I am gong to invest in a company which will mass produce Hari-Kari knifes. The end times are upon us folks...............................Now if only the Jayhawks can whoop Kentucky,s ass tonight, then I will start feeling more cheerful.......................

I tried at this a week ago with no luck at all sorted through over 2,200 coins just to find a handful of canadians ya even the one teller said to me oh we roll them ourselves and if we see silver we take it out how lovely i might add so ill stick to finding my silver in the ground!

I tried at this a week ago with no luck at all sorted through over 2,200 coins just to find a handful of canadians ya even the one teller said to me oh we roll them ourselves and if we see silver we take it out how lovely i might add so ill stick to finding my silver in the ground!
Even the blonde bank tellers have wised up.......

Couple things people need to realize about coin hunting that make it better for themselves and the rest of us doing it.

1. Always be polite
2. Don't order too much - let them dictate what they think is a good amount
3. NEVER bring your coins back to the same bank. I don't care if they take them or you think they don't mind. It's bad form, period.
4. Try spreading out your dumps - especially if you're in an area where you can dump into a machine. Bring the coins with you in a bag for that reason.
5. Pick up and drop off coins when it is most convienent for the banks - if you have the option. One bank asks me to dump on Wednesdays - no problem.
6. ALWAYS take care of your tellers. I bring them a $20 dunkin donuts card on occasion, maybe a box of candy now and then. Costs me way less in gas to be able to dump here then to spread it out. Remember, it's no skin off their back to order you coins or take them back in a dump - if you make it easy for them.
7. When they are giving you coins - always take everything they have. For instance - don't cherrypick rolls of halves. Tellers hate having half dollars, IKEs etc. If they have them, buy them all, even if you know it's someone elses dump. It makes them happy and they remember everything.

There are lots of other things to think about but those are some quick ones

That is awesome advice, thanks!!

I don't do much CRH, I buy a roll or two of halves at my bank. I think they roll them themselves since I have not found anything good. I got a 40% silver from a different bank, but that is it. I am thinking that if I buy only a few rolls at a time from them, it's not only no problem for them, but your doing them a favor by getting them out of the bank.

I spend my halves or run them thru coinstar with my other change.

Just something to consider....

Actually, I know a guy whose wife works at a local bank and he says the teller grab all the silver they can.

The old adage folks.........."Nothing lasts forever."..... In some of your lifetimes, metal detecting will become a thing of the past. Coin Roll Hunting is peaking. Banks have figured out a way to make a profit from it. The tv shows and idiots in general have given detectorists a bad name. "Arkies" hate you all. The price of the really good machines will soon outweigh the possible gains. You will see the companies going out of business in the next 2 decades. I am gong to invest in a company which will mass produce Hari-Kari knifes. The end times are upon us folks...............................Now if only the Jayhawks can whoop Kentucky,s ass tonight, then I will start feeling more cheerful.......................

Maybe it's time I move to Montana, live in a tree and declare myself an independent country. :darnconfused:

bank tellers would have to be crazy not to. Have you seen how much they are payed? It's pretty bad.

Couple things people need to realize about coin hunting that make it better for themselves and the rest of us doing it.

1. Always be polite
3. NEVER bring your coins back to the same bank. I don't care if they take them or you think they don't mind. It's bad form, period.
4. Try spreading out your dumps - especially if you're in an area where you can dump into a machine. Bring the coins with you in a bag for that reason.
5. Pick up and drop off coins when it is most convienent for the banks - if you have the option. One bank asks me to dump on Wednesdays - no problem.
6. ALWAYS take care of your tellers. I bring them a $20 dunkin donuts card on occasion, maybe a box of candy now and then. Costs me way less in gas to be able to dump here then to spread it out. Remember, it's no skin off their back to order you coins or take them back in a dump - if you make it easy for them.
7. When they are giving you coins - always take everything they have. For instance - don't cherrypick rolls of halves. Tellers hate having half dollars, IKEs etc. If they have them, buy them all, even if you know it's someone elses dump. It makes them happy and they remember everything.

I second that and have followed all those tips with great success. My buy bank even told a guy looking for halves that there is already a guy who gets them (that's me. :)) Treat your banks well and it will delay the inevitable. This hobby will not last forever. Keep them happy and it will last a little longer for you than the next guy.

Great post Yacorie. People also need to realize that everytime a bank orders boxes for you, it costs them money to do so. I think #3 should be labled the "golden rule".

1. Always be polite

I always buy from one bank and take them back to another, they have a coin star with no charge if you have an account. I know the teller at the bank where I get them from, that helps.

Maybe it's time I move to Montana, live in a tree and declare myself an independent country. :darnconfused:

Come on out, but most of us dont live in trees any more, and yes we are independent as he##:laughing: I live in the country of Bill:lol::lol:

KT definitely hopes NOT! The King just started this phase of the hobby in Jan of this year....And has already cleared more silver in halves than He could have ever recovered in 10s of years of MDing... He agrees with the above statements that you need to be very polite, be an active and easy to get along with customer, use a different dump bank and get along with all at both banks.

KT has one fellow CRHer who has beening doing it since his wife passed 5 years ago....He and I do not compete because he hunts principally pennies and nickels and KT hunts halves....the folks at the dump bank really seem to like both of us and are most pleasant. I even learned where the extra bags for the coin machine are and have one pulled for the teller when they come to empty the halves! The other fellow even helps the ladies carry the coin bags back inside the secure area for them! :lol::lol: The teller who usually helps me at the machine when needed, always asks me what I find and sometimes I bring a coin or two in some flips to show him. I also bring them some donuts about every 3rd week, at both banks to let them know how much I appreciate them! I find bank employees really like jelly filled donuts! :lol::lol:

There has been no talk of any changes in the system and I even have the head teller concerned enough to call me if I have not ordered my standard 4 boxes by 2 pm on Mondays!

its a sad fact that it seems the only people who are suppose to have access to money are those with already to much. at least we dont have a chip in our brains yet!

Yet.... is the correct word.... but with all the corporate greed and stupid governmental control !!!!.... I'm starting to get one helluva chip on my shoulder...:mad:

Back
Top Bottom