Coin Roll Hunting Mother load

Bag of nickels.

Finally got the bag of nickels but I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be anything special after only a few minutes at it. One bad thing about hunting bags from a bank is you may get someone else's coin roll hunt dump. Looks like a lot of this bag was just that. Very few older nickels in the entire bag, but i was able to get (3) 1939 nickels from it. (3) from the 40's, and (4) from the 50's. That was it though.

nickels 1.jpg

Fellow Md'ers, you may want to study your coins closely. I'm sure many of you know, but there are some modern coins that can get you a few bucks at a coin shop rather than $.05 at the bank.

2 of the coins were clearly dug coins, and they were both older. One of the 1939's was one of them and I hoped to find that a fellow MD'er had missed the elusive key date 1939-D. I had to scrub the back of the 1939 really well to check for the mint mark, and even then, I needed my 10x magnifying glass to verify there was no "D" mint mark. I'm still not positive, but whoever dug this surely didn't check.

dug nickels.jpg

For those who do not know:
Other than the 1950-D, the 1939-D is the key date of all Jefferson Nickels and is worth about $10 in VF condition. Doubt you could get that from a dug coin, but it's still worth more than a nickel.

Wow pretty awesome there!... I've started hunting the penny rolls (i'm budgeting :lol:). Found my first wheat in one today. The upside is i live in a small town and apparantly I'm the only one that does this at my bank so now the tellers are telling me they will snatch up anything old for me. They told me one teller has something she will give me friday :?: hope its good!

Update:

Stopped by my bank today to get a bag of nickels and the bank teller made a passing comment that they won't be anywhere near as good as the bag of halves I got. She let out a smile and then proceeded to tell me the back story of how those halves got there. She apparently dealt with the couple that brought them in.

A couple in their 40's came into the bank with 2 large bags and several tubes of half dollars. The brought them to this lady and asked if they could exchange them for cash. She was happy to help, and took them all. She then went through them and kept all the tubes of half dollars. She said they were all Uncirculated Franklins and Walkers in mint condition. She said there were too many for her to go through, so she just dumped the rest in the machine. The ones she dumped were the ones I got. She told me that she kept more than she dumped in, so whoever brought these in, brought well over $4,000 worth of silver and got a measly $200+/-

Makes this score even more amazing to me, because the teller knew what they were and simply couldn't deal with all the junk silver coins. HaHa. I told her that i will gladly take any of the coins she doesn't want. I also cannot believe that this couple didn't try to sell them for even half the value. They probably have no idea what they were worth, but I cannot believe they didn't know they are worth more than face value.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom