Carolus IIII 8 Real

tommyb

Carolus IIII 8 Reale

I live in indiana, and visited a location in which i had already found some artifacts dating in the 1860's. Within five minutes of arriving i found the coin about 5 inches deep. I was surprised to find such a large coin, and was puzzled as to what it could have came from. I was wondering what it is worth and how it could have got in northern indiana. It is in decent condition, but the date is somewhat hard to read. I believe it is 1801 or 1807. Oh, I can't figure out how to post pics either.

I have a camera, but i am horrible with it. I need to know how to post them with a camera

Nice find Tommy :wow:
Don't know if its true, but I heard they used old silver up to the early 1900's
I'll bet they passed it as a dollar.

I would love to see a picture too.
When you click on the reply button, look for [Manage Attachments] button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive.

Sorry couldn't get it as close up as i wanted. Also i haven't cleaned it because i didn't know if it had numismatic value.

Attachments

• P3250101_edited.jpg
    P3250101_edited.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 378
backside 2: Where's the backside of the coin. It won't upload

Last edited:
hopefully the third time is the charm

Attachments

• P3250103_edited.jpg
    P3250103_edited.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 367
Wow I do hope it is the real thing because it looks to be a Spanish Reale and looks to be in pretty good shape for the age of the coin. Yeah do not clean till you get it looked at by a pro.

Way to Go by the way. And Happy Hunting.

Now i am confused

Were there counterfeit coins made in the early 1800's or were replica coins made at a later date? I was somewhat surprised to find a 1801 coin at a location where i had only found 1860's items.

I've had several happen that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Like a 1855 large cent in EF shape in a yard from the 1880's. I figure either it was lost long before Dodge City(1871) was founded, which is a possibility since its on the Santa Fe Trail, or it was lost by another collector. Possibility a collectors kids playing with dads collection?

I've also found a silver 1/2 reale, which I still don't know the date, in our local park(1883).

Minted in Mexico City, btw. As for numismatic value, asking price for nearly mint ones is 250-300 US$, so I'd say this coin has pretty low value. Say 10 dollars or so, although this is just my guesstimate. I guess it could be a counterfeit, but I'm no expert judging that. And sometimes fakes are more valuable than real things.

Voriax

can anyone tell me what it is made out of? It is a goldish substance, maybe copper, and i want to clean it. I don't want to sell it but i want it to look better. Is there anyway to clean it without risk of damage besides the olive oil method?

I found a piece of eight (1/8) of that coin. A bit as it was called. It was used to make change. They say that they were used as legal tender in the US until around the civil war. Mine's really shiny, however I found it and cleaned it with a silver polishing cloth. It is the pillar style just as yours is. Just curious, can you make out any whiting on the rim if the coin? Mine has letters/symbols on it... anyone translate it?

Attachments

• smilled-crop-f.JPG
    smilled-crop-f.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 259
Tncshooter, that edge design is supposed to resemble a Tulip. It is meant to make it easier to spot if the edge has been clipped or filed, which was afaik pretty common practise with coins with smooth rims.

Voriax

Back
Top Bottom