Trouble in 2010 But Counting my Blessings

tabdog

Elite Member
Christmas of 2009 found my body swollen from years of staff
infection. It is extremely painful. It made a hole and started
coming out of my body that Christmas night. Pretty gross stuff!

I spent 3 months (January through March) on antibiotics. I was
unable to go in the sun. The antibiotics kept making me feel
worse the longer I took them. I could hardly metal detect for
three months.

Finally, I got off the antibiotics and started hunting. I hunted
for about three months and now I have come back down with
the same thing, staff. It came out of me again and put me down.

I am again on antibiotics and the outlook is grim. I will be unable
to hunt effectively for who knows how long now, maybe for ever.

But, that three months I could hunt, I found five gold rings and
a cannon primer prick, a 44 cal percussion pistol cylinder, a slave
leg iron, a cannon friction primer and some other first for me.

So, it may be over for me, but I can still count my blessings,

Tabdog

Sorry for your troubles. How does one get a staff infection that lasts so long? Was it from a skin puncture or of internal origin like eating something bad?

I think of skin infection when I hear "staff infection".

Old Town

I'm very sorry to hear about your problems Tabdog, I've always enjoyed
reading your posts, and seeing what you've found.

I do hope you can make a full recovery, and get back outside, doing the
hobby you love.

Sounds like MRSA (I hope not). I'm sorry to hear that you're sick. The pictures of your finds are always fun to look at.

Let's hope your immune system powers up a bit to help the antibiotics.

Good luck,

-- Tom

Hey Tabdog, stop thinking negative...Think POSITIVE, all of us here are wishing you the best, you just have to let your mind trick your body into getting better. We are all behind you. Think WELL. Good Luck!

Best wishes to you Tab...keep your head up, becuase behind every dark night there is a bright day ahead.

Oh man, I am really sorry to hear about whats going on with you. I wish you the best of recovery so you can get out and find some goodies. Good Luck!

I hope you get better Tab. You have given lots of good advice so I want to see you out getting the gold again!

Quick Recovery for more HH

Yen

Hey Tabdog, I am sorry to hear you had a relapse of your staph infection. Staph is a BEAR to get rid of... I dunno what to say, but just hang in there, ok? I'd hate to hear that you had to give up diggin' permanently!

Man that sucks! When I was on antis Doc told me I could get out but to wear lots of clothing and hats. Dont know if that would work for you. Take care and hope you are better soon!

Tabster - Sorry to hear of this. I'll pray the Lord heals you soon. I have always identified with you as we have many similar hunting/finding things in common. I need to relish the moment, for any of us could have a setback.
6 years ago I had heart bypass and could not detect for a couple months so I am in sympathy with you.
Rest up, keep reading our finds to get you ready to go back out soon, Steve in so az

Sorry to hear about this Tabdog. My thoughts are with you, wishing a quick recovery. You are one of the people on this forum who inspire me -- I think of you every time I dig a cursed pulltab :yes:

Sorry to hear of your problem I know what your going threw, I have a disease that comes and goes and can't be gotten rid of .I take 16 different medicines a day and like you I have to watch getting out in the sun that's why I hunt parks a lot when its summer cause I have to remain in the shade as much as I can . Two times last summer I got in the sun to much and ended up in the emergency room its not fun . Hope you get the staff under control soon so you can get back out always enjoy your post and pictures . Get well and our prayers are with you .

Harold

Sorry for your troubles. How does one get a staff infection that lasts so long? Was it from a skin puncture or of internal origin like eating something bad?

I think of skin infection when I hear "staff infection".

Old Town

It was from a doctor coming in my room and slapping a port
into my shoulder. I don't think he even washed his hands!
The port never worked, but they left it in?

Later my arm swelled to twice it's size! It was black on the
bottom and purple on the top!

That is when it started.

That is what disabled me.

Happy Huntin,

Attitude Is More Important Than Fact

Hi TabDog.... There is little anyone can do to change the reality you face. It sounds like you you have reasonable medical care but the original cause certainly is a terrible thing. There is a lot everyone can do to make this chapter in your life a little easier. Those before me have said all I feel and probably much better than I can. I too, suffer from a problem who's cure is questionable. I find it is the mind games that mess me up more than anything else. I urge you to work hard at staying positive. You will swing again and find even more interesting things. And we all hope that is soon. But those times alone, dreaming about those rings and pull tabs (on an early Sat morning of a three day weekend) can be a blessing or a curse, depending on how you choose to look at them. Find a friend that just happens to be a doctor. I know you have them somewhere around Arkie Land. (What a beautiful corner of heaven) Communication seems to help in my situation and perhaps it could/does in yours. You will get better, you will find even more interesting and perhaps valuable goodies on the MD'ing trail. Arkie Land has at least a 55 gal drum of pull tabs yet to be found and collected and your name is on at least a couple of them. You are a friend and counselor to many hundreds of folks on this fourm and each and every one of them is pulling the rope in your direction. Hang in there, follow your responsible medical advice, keep your nose clean and you will be amazed at what this experience will contribute when you are trying to help someone else in a similar situation in twenty five years. Stay safe.

Kevin J. Doyle &
Gunner Girl The Wonder Lab ;)

Sorry to hear about the trouble, hopefully that wont stop you from posting here. When you say its over you mean detecting I hope.
Your knowledge and insight has always been a valuable asset here so keep posting if you can.
Hopefully it will clear up quikly. I am ear infection prone and usually get the "cillin" type antibiotic from my doctor, one time I had a bad one and used this stuff called cipro, couldnt believe how fast it cleared up.
Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom