back from the mountain

pryan67

Forum Supporter
Spent 6 hours at the ski resort near me...5 of which were spent hunting (the other hour was eating lunch and cooling off in the car).

Didn't find anything "amazing" to most people, but ended up with 3.54 in clad, one child's ring, a piece to a combination lock that freaked me out (it looked like an engagement ring at first glance), and some locker key tags from where they used to rent out lockers in the 1940's...two of them complete with the key still attached (I gave one to my friend that was with me). I also found a 1958 wheatie...my friend found a 1932 wheatie, some other change (don't know how much) and two small bells that look like brass...not sure what they were doing on a ski hill....

Attachments

• IMG_0696.jpg
    IMG_0696.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0697.jpg
    IMG_0697.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0698.jpg
    IMG_0698.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 275
Cool finds - nice ring, and decent clad total. I'm always happy to find wheat cents, too.

I've thought about trying to detect at a ski resort near me - I wonder how many of those coins were lost in the snow?

Nice hunt - HH!

It’s great you guys got to give it a shot! One thing I can say is....if an old place is known AT ALL,its been hunted to death,no matter HOW much someone doesn’t think so. Hunters have been in our position for decades,and the same or similar thoughts about where old coins could come from have gone through everyone’s mind. Even an out of the way place,a PRIVATE place,a well hidden place...doesn’t matter,its been searched to some degree or another.
I ran across an older out of the way country church that I got permission to hunt a few years ago(still go back from time to time) and have found SO little that the only conclusion I can draw is that it’s been picked clean. Mathematical odds do not allow for a church to hold basically NOTHING after 150 years,not even being poor or small congregation or anything else...it doesn’t happen,UNLESS!....someone beat me to it.
It sounds like someone may have beaten you guys to the punch. But you never know,and that’s why you have to investigate when you can!

It’s great you guys got to give it a shot! One thing I can say is....if an old place is known AT ALL,its been hunted to death,no matter HOW much someone doesn’t think so. Hunters have been in our position for decades,and the same or similar thoughts about where old coins could come from have gone through everyone’s mind. Even an out of the way place,a PRIVATE place,a well hidden place...doesn’t matter,its been searched to some degree or another.
I ran across an older out of the way country church that I got permission to hunt a few years ago(still go back from time to time) and have found SO little that the only conclusion I can draw is that it’s been picked clean. Mathematical odds do not allow for a church to hold basically NOTHING after 150 years,not even being poor or small congregation or anything else...it doesn’t happen,UNLESS!....someone beat me to it.
It sounds like someone may have beaten you guys to the punch. But you never know,and that’s why you have to investigate when you can!

Very true...someone may have climbed the fence to get on the property, since it's locked....but it's 130+ acres, so we didn't even scratch the surface...didn't grid anything out, just randomly swung our coils in a couple different areas. I'd LOVE to take a few years and grid out a couple of the hills but that won't happen :)

I don't feel bad about not finding anything old...I would have liked a ring or two though, but we didn't detect the most likely places for that (where people line up for the chair lifts, top of the hills, etc).

Back
Top Bottom