White's DFX E 950

mdmike01

Anyone have experience with the White's DFX E Series 950 Metal Detector? Looks like it was a great machine. I say "was" because I don't see much current data/info/discussion on them.
Are they outdated in your opinion? Looks like a great machine and can be picked up for a good price.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike

Bought mine new in 2007 for one thousand dollars. Used it for a year. Lots of bells-n-whistles but no depth. I have no experience with aftermarket coils though. Still have it, I use it to find property markers.

Anyone have experience with the White's DFX E Series 950 Metal Detector? Looks like it was a great machine. I say "was" because I don't see much current data/info/discussion on them.
Are they outdated in your opinion? Looks like a great machine and can be picked up for a good price.

Mike

It's a great machine. It has dual (mutli) frequencies, which unlike single frequency detectors, will enable it to work exceptionally well in soil with high amounts of mineral deposits and at ocean beaches. You'll have no problem finding targets as small as stud earings.

As far as price, last year I saw DFX's sell in the range of $400-$600. Now that the Equinox has been released (which is M/F, waterproof, and only $650) it is really driving down the prices of used multi-frequency machines. It is a buyers market. Last week I saw a MINT condition DFX in the original box and plastic sleeves for $350. In april I saw a beat-up one listed for $225. Anyhow, that was just a few references. Take your time to find a clean machine and pay whatever it is worth to you.

DFXWhites

Mike

Great Detector
That detector would read a digit or two higher on the VDI scale on silver
I would recommend getting a DD coil.

check out this blog
http://www.metaldetectors.com/blog/what-a-find-1652-pine-tree-shilling

Bought my first in 2003 and have never been without one since. Great detector and in my opinion still has the best target ID system on the market. I have two still but haven't used either since I got my Equinox 800.

Typical of Whites, the factory programs are very conservative so many believe they have no depth. I've dug many 8" coins with my DFX. Jumpy VDI at extreme depth but it will do depth believe me.

A bit on the heavy side compared to most newer detectors but it's built like a tank. I put on the 6x10 Eclipse and it is one of the best tot lot detectors out there.

It does take a some learning to get the best out of it, but well worth it in my opinion. Best buy out there. You can pick up a good used one for around $300. I've bought them for as little as $150.

I thought my DFX was defective. I read “Digging Deeper with the DFX” I tweaked, ramped and put hours in but still couldn’t get more than 5 or 6 inches depth. I even had it tested at a group hunt. I was so disappointed that I took it back and exchanged for another. No difference. :no:

I thought my DFX was defective. I read “Digging Deeper with the DFX” I tweaked, ramped and put hours in but still couldn’t get more than 5 or 6 inches depth. I even had it tested at a group hunt. I was so disappointed that I took it back and exchanged for another. No difference. :no:

If you use one on the beach with a bigfoot coil it will smoke even the most advance detector built today in the wet or dry sand. Plus with the bigfoot in pinpoint you know exactly where the target is. I own two DFXs and its the only detector i would never sell:lol:

If you use one on the beach with a bigfoot coil it will smoke even the most advance detector built today in the wet or dry sand. Plus with the bigfoot in pinpoint you know exactly where the target is. I own two DFXs and its the only detector i would never sell:lol:
I’m not a beach hunter. Just plain black Michigan soil.

DFX Great Detector

Mike

I still have my DFX
I don't know if this is still true but It is the only Detector that I could tell through the VDI scale, a clad dime or Quarter vs. a silver dime or Quarter.
It would ring up one or 2 digits higher, very cool.

Back
Top Bottom