xbox freezes up

RelicHound

Forum Supporter
anyone here that owns an xbox with issues? mine randomly freezes up and gets hot. if i send it back how long does it take to get back?

My daughter's Xbox developed the "red ring of death" and had to be shipped back. She found contact info online and received a box in the mail in which to send the console back. It took about 3 weeks to get the console back.

There are several issues with the XBox 360 and Microsoft had to extend its standard manufacturer's warranty. I don't know when you bought it, but get it sent off ASAP. Two to three weeks is about the norm to get a refurbished one back.

Almost half of the 360s that I've encountered put gouges in the discs (we sell the 360 Live at work and I've dealt with hundreds of them), as well as other problems. When people purchase them I always warn them they may have some issues with the console and if they do, they need to contact us immediately.

This will give you some information on some of the problems, as well as a contact number:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems

Good luck!

thanks for the info folks! i set the console vertical and placed on a "fan stand" and it seems to work fine,it was freezing last night and when i turned it on this morning i got the red ring error and it all locked up but i re booted it and it was fine. when i was shopping for a console i had my mind set on a PS3 but was talked into the xbox elite by the dork at game stop he assured me mine was out of a good batch,i bought it in april of this year so in 3months it already has problems. im still going to contact microsucks and see about sending it in but i hear you dont get your console back? will i get my hard drive back or would i even have to send that in?

if i were you i would eviscerate the m****s**t os it ships with and install a linux workstation distro. onto it.

if i were you i would eviscerate the m****s**t os it ships with and install a linux workstation distro. onto it.

i dont care for microsoft but linux is all confusing for me...my wife uses linux on her puter..but shes the puter person...i just push buttons and hope i dont mess stuff up.

i dont care for microsoft but linux is all confusing for me...my wife uses linux on her puter..but shes the puter person...i just push buttons and hope i dont mess stuff up.

turning an xbox into a linux workstation is andvanced. i never done it myself but have read about it and always wanted to.

i have university b.s. in computer science. i am not working in computers anymore but turning out unusual linux machines is something i toyed with on my own. one of my thangs is to apple computers running linux.
always a crowd pleaser.

this linux distro support xbox...
http://dynebolic.org/
it's 100% open source gnu linux which i recomend...

RH, you can keep your hard drive at home, but when you get your replacement console, you might have to configure the hard drive with the serial number to the system. If you send them the hard drive, several scenarios could play out, including: it could get formatted; it could get switched with another hard drive; you could get the console back with no hard drive (all these scenarios have happened to us, but keep in mind we send anywhere from 5 to 12 back at a time ... and just think of how many 360s they have to keep track of.. :shock: )

I'da sold you the PS3.

RH, you can keep your hard drive at home, but when you get your replacement console, you might have to configure the hard drive with the serial number to the system. If you send them the hard drive, several scenarios could play out, including: it could get formatted; it could get switched with another hard drive; you could get the console back with no hard drive (all these scenarios have happened to us, but keep in mind we send anywhere from 5 to 12 back at a time ... and just think of how many 360s they have to keep track of.. :shock: )

I'da sold you the PS3.

well i think ima get my 360 fixed and sell it at a lose and buy a PS3 tleast then ill have a blue ray and a cheap blue ray at that

Actually now

Newer 360s come with the new chip set which is 65 microns so less overheating and better heat sinks to. I bought my Halo 360 console around 7 months ago and havnt had one problem with it. I know a 20gb hd is small but I dont need anything bigger but I can always buy a 120gb if I want.

ive got the xbox elite and according to the fellas at game stop it was made the same month i bought it. but seems to be working ok for now. my wife wants a blu ray for our new TV and id like a PS3 but she says no more game systems...so ima go buy a PS3 :lol: i dont think she understands the ps3 has a blu ray player in it.

anyone here that owns an xbox with issues? mine randomly freezes up and gets hot. if i send it back how long does it take to get back?

I had my XBox 360 for about a year and a half. I bought it Dec. 06. It started freezing up a couple of months ago and then I got the "red ring of death" where 3 sections will light up red on your console. I called the store where I bought it and my 1 year warranty had already passed by. Luckily, I spoke with the manager of this game store and she just had the same problem. She told me how to get it fixed for free! It took 2 phone calls to Microsoft, but they sent me a pre-paid box for shipping the XBox 360 and they fixed it, for free, within 2 weeks. Microsoft has extended their warranty to 2 or 3 years and will pay for shipping (both ways) and fix it for free. The older model XBox 360's have a bad chip or something in them. Usually, what happens is your 360 will start freezing up and then eventually you won't be able to use it at all. I would call 1-800-4MY-XBOX to see if they will fix it for free. Hope this helps! GL and HH

Back
Top Bottom