Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Sunspot Scoops
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Stories and Pictures of Finds

Notices

Old 06-10-2012, 05:15 PM

Default Living History

Back in April, on of my buddies here (bb in maine) and I went hunting at one of his super-secret :Wink: spots in Mid-Coast Maine and I ended up digging this two-piece pocket spill. His account of the dig is in the coinshooters forum under "EPIC day!" so I won't get into the particulars here. Rest assured, it was, indeed, epic. The reason I'm bringing this up again after two months is because I wanted to share what I've found out since about the man who lost these two pieces.

My mother is a huge genealogy nut, and so I sent her the two sets of initials that were still very readable from the inside of the ring. The ring, by the way, is a 14K man's wedding band from Sears, Roebuck and Co. It turns out that the initials on the ring match with only one marriage in Maine's recorded history, and that the time period and location are a dead-on match. In other words, we found the man who lost the ring and coin.

He was a farmer who was married Saturday, 1 July 1905 in Belfast, Maine. He and his wife lived in Waldo, which is one town over, and had four children. This was incredible stuff to find out, of course, and I was over the moon to be able to immerse myself in the story of the man who lost his wedding ring and a half-dollar almost a century ago.

However, nothing about everything I'd found out was as exciting as the fact that I recently discovered that the youngest child of this man is still alive, living in a Mid-Coast nursing home. He is in his nineties, so I'm going to reach out to the family to see about getting this ring back to him/them, and maybe get a story of the day Dad lost his wedding ring. And maybe not. Regardless, I'm excited to start the next part of this adventure... :thumbs:
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Elite Member

Wonderful finds! Good luck on returning the ring to the family. I believe they will appreciate the offer.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:21 PM

Nice finds and amazing story! Let us know how it pans out, either way I think you (and your mother) are doing something really great to go through the work to unearth the details about the items and actually try to return them.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:58 PM

Posts like this remind me why I love MDing! Good job. Hope you get to talk to the son! Congratuations on your great finds

Old 06-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Elite Member

an awesome story and such a heart felt attempt to reuinite the son with his dad's lost ring and half dollar. hopefully he'll have a story to tell you about that day. congrats again on such a great find, and kudos to you and your mom for making the effort to do this for the son.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:42 PM

Thanks, folks. This is the second ring I've been able to track (the other being a Danvers, Massachusetts HS class ring from the sixties) and return to the owner/family. I've also tracked down the family of my buddy's silver and gold thimble find - it's always so cool when you can get stuff back. I'll definitely post a follow-up after I meet with the family.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Elite Member

Great story. Beautiful walking liberty.