New Tires Online

Digger-Dave

Forum Supporter
Anyone ever order car tires online?

I was cruising the web and Walmart has some of the best prices going.
I would have to order them and get them installed there. My local stores carry nothing in stock.

I once ordered some tires and they were considered "Blems". The side walls had a lot of rubber flashing from the mold, but otherwise they were excellent.

Thanks!

Dave

Thanks for the idea, been a really long time since we bought tires for our 99 Astro van, need to get 2 new tires for the front (and put the best 2 of the old tires in the back) so Walmart.com will give me a comparison price to see if anyone has a better deal, if not then at least the tire I saw on Walmart for our 99 Astro van has very good reviews !

Discount tires direct. I order most of mine but I can have them mounted cheap. Sometimes have to take them to get balanced.

I have a local place that offers good price, mounting/balancing, warranty and free rotations. For me, good service is worth paying for.
Try and find a shop like that, anything but Waaal mart.

Even the best tire companies put out a bad one every once in a while. It's a lot easier to do a warranty if you buy tires from the same place that installs them. check the manufacture date on mail order tires. The last 4 of dot# is month and year made. If they are more than a year old don't take them without a discount. More than 2 years old I wouldn't take them without a huge discount. Tire mileage warranties are more about marketing than how many miles you will get. I've sold tires for a couple of different shops and have found Michellin to be the only company that hits the mileage warranty. Many times I have proven that the expensive Michellins were the cheapest tire when you figure cost per mile. I won't buy anything else, even my scooters are rolling Michellins.

I have a local place that offers good price, mounting/balancing, warranty and free rotations. For me, good service is worth paying for.

Walmarts Douglas tire is made by Goodyear and it is one of the best cheap tires out there. 4 little patches of rubber about the same size as your footprint is the only thing holding you on the road, I don't want cheap tires.
I worked at a shop like yours that was worried when a walmart opened up the road. They ended up doing pretty good fixing walmarts mistakes, they lost customers looking for the cheapest tires, but the owner said those weren't the customers he wanted. He would really sock it to wally world, even figuring an estimate was $80 an hour. It was the only time he wasn't yelling at us to hurry up.

A few notes about tires from an Auto repair tech.

Many people buy tires online for the vast selection and better pricing. If you consider doing this and have a regular shop that you use and trust, ask them if you can ship them there to have them mounted. We have tires show up weekly from customers who bought them online and we mount and balance them. I suspect many shops will do this as well.

Beware of buying tires and having them installed at places like wally mart, I mean places who do not do auto repair as a primary business. I have repaired many broken wheel studs, pressure sensors or corrected wheel balance on vehicles that just had tires put on at such a place. I have heard that many of the people doing the automotive work there lack experience.

This^^^^

Sorry just tired of seeing small business suffer do to the internet. I get it the internet is real it is here to stay, and a valid part of our economy; However, when we try to bypass all our service industry, to save $20.00 we can't complain when they are no longer there to offer any services. I grew up in a small town which had a main street which is now essentially half the size. I have to drive 15 miles to get a freaking bolt.

Secondly. If a large company like good year is making the tires for wally world, but not putting their name on it. I'd have serious concern that they made a tire to reach a price point by bypassing some of the quality.

Close to 30 years ago I quit trying to get the cheapest tire available, and I noticed they last longer and knock on wood don't recall any flats either.

I had a 2001 SS Camaro with 18" x 11 on the back and could not find anyone local that carried them , so I had to buy online.. was without a car for 3 days with a flat.. waiting for them and then had to pay a tire shop to install them.

….after reading the latest posts I guess I now have doubts about using Walmart for tires :shock:

I'll see what price/quality of tire my local mechanic can offer, I recently switched mechanic shops when my old mechanic kept putting me off week after week on when he could fit me in his busy schedule, my new mechanic had it fixed the very next day after I asked for an estimate and they are a lot closer, and the best part is they seem to be very honest because I thought my 99 Astro needed a new fuel pump and that is what I got an estimate for, when they called me to pick up the van I was expecting to pay for a new fuel pump, they said the fuel pump was fine, they just needed to reset the security system which was preventing the fuel pump from working, BIG difference in cost !

…..thanks guys, this forum is great for learning from other people's experiences as customers and even from those who have first hand knowledge from having actually worked in the business ! :thumbsup:

I bought 4 Hancook tires for my boat trailer from WM, mounted myself. Didn't bother having them balanced as it's a 5 minute ride to the lake ;)

$60/ea.

I had a 2001 SS Camaro with 18" x 11 on the back and could not find anyone local that carried them , so I had to buy online.. was without a car for 3 days with a flat.. waiting for them and then had to pay a tire shop to install them.
You can ask the shop to order them, they can possibly get them at a discount.

Tirebuyer-dot-com has always come out the best deal for me in the past. They'll ship to you or your garage free if you are getting a set of four.

Then, there is also .... .... ebay..... for tires from manufacturer's who nobody has ever heard of.

A few notes about tires from an Auto repair tech.

I have repaired many broken wheel studs, pressure sensors or corrected wheel balance on vehicles that just had tires put on at such a place. I have heard that many of the people doing the automotive work there lack experience.

I once had a broken stud replaced. They put on a nut a different size from the others. I never noticed it until I had a flat and my lug wrech didn't fit. I ended up having to remove it with a large set of vice grips.

Thanks for all of the comments.

I'm looking for good tires at a good price. These are for my daughter's car.

Looking at a lot of options.

Thanks for all of the comments.

I'm looking for good tires at a good price. These are for my daughter's car.

Looking at a lot of options.

I would order another set from WM, no problem. I would however, remove tires/wheels from vehicle, take them to service dept when the tires were shipped to the store, let WM mount/balance them, and put them back on the vehicle myself.

Back
Top Bottom