Back in the saddle - got a Nox 800 today!

yrekadude

Elite Member
Hey there,

I've been "detectorless" for almost two years now. I sold my Minelab E-Trac and all accessories during a rough period to pay the bills. Focused on paying off debts and lowering expense over the past two years and I am back in a decent situation.

I Wanted to share my joy at buying my first *new* metal detector supporting our local metal detecting shop "The Miner's Cache" in Redding CA. I've always bought used... not today! Got myself a Minelax Equinox 800, Lesche digger and a Pro-Find 35 pinpointer. Had to order a finds pouch off Amazon unfortunately but will get that by Friday..

Charged her up fully, upgraded the firmware to the latest, got the headphones paired and now reading the manual and watching videos. Been air testing coins and such in 50 tone mode and playing around.

I'm sure you all know that anticipation I'm feeling to get detecting again! Especially since I moved into a different home a few months back and I have a front and back yard that I got permission (from myself) to detect LOL

Been researching detectors for a while now and the Nox 800 was my choice due to the fact that it's waterproof, lighter that E-Trac and has a good gold mode.. Redding hills have gold so.. wish me luck!

Very happy and excited to be back in the fold again! - It's dark out.. maybe I should swing it in the front yard anyways..

Welcome back, if things seem off or weird with the Nox 800 with latest firmware, you can always roll it back to previous versions which seem to gel better with me anyway. Great work on the debt issue. It takes serious discipline and sounds like you deserve a new toy for the efforts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for you, very exciting!

Hope you find lots of gold in the nearby hills, start another rush!

Welcome back! Redding is a beautiful area, but a long drive from the Bay Area!

Due to Covid my employer gave me permission to relocate and work remotely. Redding is my hometown and the rent here is *much less*. Only have to drive to Santa Clara once every month or so which is fine.

I know a few spots out clear creek to search for nuggets and might rejoin Shasta Miners and Prospectors again too..

Welcome back, if things seem off or weird with the Nox 800 with latest firmware, you can always roll it back to previous versions which seem to gel better with me anyway. Great work on the debt issue. It takes serious discipline and sounds like you deserve a new toy for the efforts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't know if it is different since I updated right away :D so I'm sure I'll get used to it. If it does act weird thanks for letting me know I can downgrade

Enjoying the Nox 800 now that the weather is better and I've had a full weekend to start using it. Been going to Shasta Lake north of Redding and testing it since the lake is low.

Im so used to the tones of the E-Trac so it's taking time to get used to the tones of the Equinox. Even in 50 tones I still have to look at the screen more than I did with the E-trac.. really miss those sweet ass tones :(

Good to hear you’re getting a second go around YD! How long did you use your etrac? How many other machines have you had besides the etrac and now the 800? IMO you made as good a choice as possible for the range of things you’ll be doing. As long as you can get by the fact that the etrac and EQX are just two different animals, you’ll do great, it is VERY capable.

Hey there,

I've been "detectorless" for almost two years now. I sold my Minelab E-Trac and all accessories during a rough period to pay the bills. Focused on paying off debts and lowering expense over the past two years and I am back in a decent situation.

I Wanted to share my joy at buying my first *new* metal detector supporting our local metal detecting shop "The Miner's Cache" in Redding CA. I've always bought used... not today! Got myself a Minelax Equinox 800, Lesche digger and a Pro-Find 35 pinpointer. Had to order a finds pouch off Amazon unfortunately but will get that by Friday..

Charged her up fully, upgraded the firmware to the latest, got the headphones paired and now reading the manual and watching videos. Been air testing coins and such in 50 tone mode and playing around.

I'm sure you all know that anticipation I'm feeling to get detecting again! Especially since I moved into a different home a few months back and I have a front and back yard that I got permission (from myself) to detect LOL

Been researching detectors for a while now and the Nox 800 was my choice due to the fact that it's waterproof, lighter that E-Trac and has a good gold mode.. Redding hills have gold so.. wish me luck!

Very happy and excited to be back in the fold again! - It's dark out.. maybe I should swing it in the front yard anyways..

I'm in the same position as you. Just ordered the 800 . When I powered it up it was real chatty. All I did was turn the volume down and hooked it up to the computer for the upgrade. As soon as it was finished I powered it down then back up and noticed that it was noticeably quieter. It still chattered because it was inside the house but about 65% less noisy. I'm hoping that is a good sign.

Welcome and good luck with your hunts. I'd like to see some Gold nugget finds.

Congrats on your new 800 ! I grabbed one about a month ago and I like it a lot :detector:

Good to hear you’re getting a second go around YD! How long did you use your etrac? How many other machines have you had besides the etrac and now the 800? IMO you made as good a choice as possible for the range of things you’ll be doing. As long as you can get by the fact that the etrac and EQX are just two different animals, you’ll do great, it is VERY capable.

Hey there,

I've owned and used the following detectors starting about 2009 when I got my first metal detector:

White's older detector (forget model, black and 2 nobs)
White's Spectrum XLT (First few years of detecting)
White's DFX (With bigfoot coil - look at my avatar image)
White's MXT (Owned a few of these)
Whites VX3 (owned 2 at one time)
White's V3i (Used one for about a year)
White's TDI Pro (Used for few months)
Whites TDI SL (Used only a few months)
Tesoro PI detector (old one - Salvation army find)
Minelab Explorer II
Minelab Eureka Gold
Minelab E-trac (have owned 3 over the years)
Garrett AT Pro
Garret AT Gold
Garret Ace 350
Garret Sea Hunter
Garret ATX

That's all I remember off the top of my head :laughing:

Now.. Minelab Equinox 800!! :cool3:

I really loved the E-trac tones but the weight was causing me some problems. I am happy with the EQ800 but finding that older bottle caps are ringing like quarters, I just got to keep using it and get used to the tones as it's very different than the E-Trac.

Back
Top Bottom