Caught a guy

Isn’t that like **** where you eat?
Yes. That's the downside if you plan on hunting that same area for a week or two. Another thing is make sure you have a magnet in your scoop. And vandalising a car will never happen if one is cunning. Also , as I mentioned once before : there is a "ringfinder" local out here who was caught and admitted to painstakingly drilling holes in zincs and releasing them back into the wild. His thought ? " I'm studying how they behave during tidal conditions". Which we all knew was BS. His page portrays him as a public hero or savior to those who use his services , like most ringfinders. But for those other hunters who encounter him know otherwise.

Follow him back to his car so you know which one is his. Keep an eye out for the car next time he hunts. While he's out, pour a half a bottle of fish fertilizer (available at any big box store) in the vent openings at the base of his windshield. Tape a Zincoln to his drivers window so he understands why nobody will ever drive his car again. Ever.

I get what he did being stupid, but touching another mans vehicle? Be prepared to get thoroughly messed up at best if caught. Do it twice and someone may be waiting for you the next time. Maybe just have a talk or just leave it be. I would not condone sabotage.

I get what he did being stupid, but touching another mans vehicle? Be prepared to get thoroughly messed up at best if caught. Do it twice and someone may be waiting for you the next time. Maybe just have a talk or just leave it be. I would not condone sabotage.
It's not worth getting in trouble with the law but I understand the feeling. Unfortunately, those that do these kinds of things usually get away with it.

Cliff

Vandalizing someone's car because they seed junk targets is definitely a terrible idea. Seeded targets used to be "holed" zincolns but are now short pieces of stainless steel wire at my beaches. Now I laugh it off and, sarcastically, say to myself, "thank you ____" every time I dig one up. I dig it all and a few more pieces of trash are not going to discourage me so the person is just wasting their time.
I know the guy that KOB is referring to and I've talked with him a few times. I don't think that he is a bad person. Since he looks for specific lost items that people ask him to find I believe that he feels justified in trying to discourage some of the competition. When I'm finding lots of "seeds" that actually tells me that there must have been something good lost there! :yes:

Last edited:
First of all mount a magnet or two in your scoop. They will trap BBs, Bobby pins, etc so they don’t fal through the holes.

Second I was beach hunting and while returning to my Jeep I started finding pennies placed in strange patterns around my vehicle. I spied a friend’s truck parked nearby and blamed him for planting the coins. However I called him that night to learn he was on a business trip out of state for the last week. Never did find the jokester.

Exactly the reason why I would never want to metal detect at a beach. Too many people and frankly, random willy-nilly detecting would be very boring. I don't care how much gold you find.

Steve

Last edited:
Exactly the reason why I would never want to metal detect at a beach. Too many people and frankly, random willy-nilly detecting would be very boring. I don't care how much gold you find.

Steve

I only go when no one is there, but what do you mean by "random willy-nilly detecting"? You can grid a beach just like anywhere else....

I only go when no one is there, but what do you mean by "random willy-nilly detecting"? You can grid a beach just like anywhere else....

For me, gridding a flat sandy beach to find the ring Karen lost while putting on suntan lotion would be like watching paint dry. In the dirt you can target historical sites where people congregated and activities happened 200+ years ago. You can find cool old artifacts that you won't get at the beach.

For me, gridding a flat sandy beach to find the ring Karen lost while putting on suntan lotion would be like watching paint dry. In the dirt you can target historical sites where people congregated and activities happened 200+ years ago. You can find cool old artifacts that you won't get at the beach.

It helps if you like the beach and the waves and the pelicans and the dolphins and the sun rising or setting over the ocean and the sounds and the breezes. I go when it's still dark in the early morning and the stars are pretty cool too. Also, I just like to find stuff. I'm not really in it for the research and the artifacts. I WILL NOT BE BEACH METAL DETECTORIST SHAMED ! Also the occasional crazy people are fun to watch too.....so many things....so many things. I won't say you're missing out....'cause it isn't your thing.....and that's cool.... (that's called a beach vibe attitude). The beach movement is pretty cool too....though I still have lots to learn about that. This site has definitely helped with that.

I've encountered this several times before, but never caught the guy in the act.

My personal experience is that its more prevalent on California beaches. Been a few years but near Delmar California, I found the ground seeded with dozens of aluminum discs, about size of penny, along with unusual amount of Zincolns. Also found lots of wire and aluminum tubing cut in 1/2 - 1 inch lengths. I dug about 25 and moved on.

Florida panhandle I've found an excessive amount of washers and Zincolns. This has been my experience up and down Panama City Beach. Destin, Navarre seem to have less.

Just my observations.

It helps if you like the beach and the waves and the pelicans and the dolphins and the sun rising or setting over the ocean and the sounds and the breezes. I go when it's still dark in the early morning and the stars are pretty cool too. Also, I just like to find stuff. I'm not really in it for the research and the artifacts. I WILL NOT BE BEACH METAL DETECTORIST SHAMED ! Also the occasional crazy people are fun to watch too.....so many things....so many things. I won't say you're missing out....'cause it isn't your thing.....and that's cool.... (that's called a beach vibe attitude). The beach movement is pretty cool too....though I still have lots to learn about that. This site has definitely helped with that.

Yeah, I'm not a beach person so your right. Enjoy your hunting and good luck!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom