Joined the equinox club

Dflan83

Elite Member
Hey guys My buddy convinced me to finally take the plunge on an equinox 600. I bought it along with a pair of the grey ghost headphones to make as my main water machine since my ctx is now out of warranty. I don't see myself using the 600 on land that much but I figured the 600 would be a good backup and great gold machine.

So out of the box what are the best beach settings or what would you recommend? I am looking forward to hopefully finding some gold this summer and giving my ctx a run for its money :cool3:

I believe to be effective on thin chains and small gold you would want 20khz and 40khz, which the 600 doesn’t have. Someone correct me if I’m wrong....

Beach 1 for dry and wet saltwater sand. If it gets too noisy switch to beach 2. Beach 2 in saltwater. Park 1 in freshwater. Depending on trash levels I hunt in 2 tones (ferrous/nonferrous), 5 or 50 tones. The saltwater Beach modes can only be used in multi frequency which is the whole point in saltwater. I usually hunt with no discrimination unless the beach has a lot of black iron sand. I might discriminate -9, -8 and -7 if the iron sand creates ground noise. Adjust sensitivity for the conditions and enjoy. Personally I like the 11” coil on the beach and the 6” coil in the shallow surf. Coiltek just released three new coils also.

I believe to be effective on thin chains and small gold you would want 20khz and 40khz, which the 600 doesn’t have. Someone correct me if I’m wrong....

For saltwater beach and surf hunting with the Equinox 600 or 800, the factory preset frequencies used for the Beach modes are exactly the same. You just have no control over them since you can only use multi frequency. Single frequencies are not available in the Beach modes. That would defeat the whole purpose which is multi frequency detectors work better than single frequency detectors in salt mineralization. 20 kHz and 40 kHz are included in the preset frequency mixture for Park, Field and Beach modes as long as you have those modes set on Multi using the 600. You just can't access 20 and 40 kHz as single frequencies in Park or Field mode on the 600. You can select the single frequencies 4kHz, 5 kHz, 10 kHz and 15 kHz for use in the Park and Field modes if you need them for EMI mitigation or for checking target responses.

For saltwater beach and surf hunting with the Equinox 600 or 800 using the Beach modes is exactly the same. You can only use multi frequency. Single frequencies are not available in the Beach modes. That would defeat the whole point which is multi frequency detectors work better than single frequency detectors in salt mineralization. 20 kHz and 40 kHz are included in Park, Field and Beach modes if you have them set on Multi. You just can't access them as single frequencies in any mode on the 600. You can select single frequency 4kHz, 5 kHz, 10 kHz and 15 kHz for use in the Park and Field modes if you need them.

Oh oh oh!! I forgot all about that, thanks Jeff. I forgot it HAD those freaks in the modes, you just couldn’t access them individually. DuH!:lol:

I do a lot of saltwater beach hunting and in particular I get in the water up to my chest. The large majority of the time, I use Beach 2, and 2-tones. With 2-tones, you will learn how a "good" signal sounds. Also, for me, I'm looking for jewelry, hopefully gold, so with 2-tones, I ignore the low/iron tone and dig the other tone regardless of the VDI. Oh and another tip is that if you plan on going in the water deep enough to cover the control pod, you will need waterproof wired headphones as Bluetooth doesn't travel through the water. Good luck!

I do a lot of saltwater beach hunting and in particular I get in the water up to my chest. The large majority of the time, I use Beach 2, and 2-tones. With 2-tones, you will learn how a "good" signal sounds. Also, for me, I'm looking for jewelry, hopefully gold, so with 2-tones, I ignore the low/iron tone and dig the other tone regardless of the VDI. Oh and another tip is that if you plan on going in the water deep enough to cover the control pod, you will need waterproof wired headphones as Bluetooth doesn't travel through the water. Good luck!

Yep I bought the gray ghost headphones with the machine :cool3:

I like your suggestion for the two tones, I think I will give this a shot

Back
Top Bottom