Another unknown coin

Blueonceagain

Elite Member
Not of much significance apart from the fact that Im curious to know what it is.The size of a farthing it is dated 1757 George ll,but I cant find anything like it in my books except a William lll coin and theres nothing on the finds database.Help please.

Attachments

• Picture 157.jpg
    Picture 157.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 571
Theres not much more to see.I cant even make anything else out with a magnifying glass.Perhaps it isnt English.I just guessed George ll because of the year.

It appears to me as 1737 when looking at other coins or tokens to compare. I can easily see that it could be 1757 or 1737 due to how the 3 and 5 were. Good luck with it. I thumbed through all the known George II coins and tokens, but did not find anything remotely similar.

Right hand side possibly says T H A L E -.Cant see any more after this.

Well..it could mean 'Thaler'. A very common coin in central europe..and used in many countries. However it was a quite large denomination so Thalers were just about always silver..and bigger in size too. Your coin looks like copper?
Any chance of a bigger pic? If you have access to a scanner you could make a high dpi scan and then crop it to something smaller that forum accepts.
Is the other side totally blank? It sort of rings a bell but not quite yet...:roll:

Voriax

The shield says it could be from Austria.

As Voriax said, Thalers were usually made of silver. Yet it may be 1/48 or 1/24 Thaler, which were made of Billon. But can't find that design in 1757 either.

Just had a look at this and i think it is a unofficial farthing with the image if a tea canister.I have had a look in my book and the nearest i can see is one from Bilston Staffordshire issued by Beckett. That is if the 1757 is actually the ILST of Bilston under the bottom of the canister.Trouble is that would not make it very symetrical though.There are plenty of 19th c farthings that used an image of a tea canister so thats where i would begin to look for a full i.d. ......Mick

p.s if you look where the legend starts on the token it looks like it starts with "CO" which might be "coffee" which knocks out the Bilston theory..Will keep looking.Here is an image of a 19th c token of Hadduck of Birmingham

Attachments

• !B9lGl9gEWk~$(KGrHqQOKpoEy+jCyz12BM6RqJsJIw~~_12.jpg
    !B9lGl9gEWk~$(KGrHqQOKpoEy+jCyz12BM6RqJsJIw~~_12.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 305
Just had a look at this and i think it is a unofficial farthing with the image if a tea canister.I have had a look in my book and the nearest i can see is one from Bilston Staffordshire issued by Beckett. That is if the 1757 is actually the ILST of Bilston under the bottom of the canister.Trouble is that would not make it very symetrical though.There are plenty of 19th c farthings that used an image of a tea canister so thats where i would begin to look for a full i.d. ......Mick

p.s if you look where the legend starts on the token it looks like it starts with "CO" which might be "coffee" which knocks out the Bilston theory..Will keep looking.Here is an image of a 19th c token of Hadduck of Birmingham

I think that's a good guess and was leaning token too. There's very few, actually no 18th century coins that I've seen which have a squared edge like that over the date. I have no references for British tokens from that era (just 17th century) and not knowing it was possibly a tea canister I had no where to go. It's a neat find though, and there is definitely enough to ID it, just need to see a match.

Back
Top Bottom