Best soup I made this year!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
I make lots of soups for the wife because she loves soup as long as it isn't super hot in the summer.
Sometimes on the stove but since we got a pressure cooker that thing is my main choice for all kinds of recipes.
It gets a real workout around my house for making soups, boiled peanuts, stews, all kinds of chicken recipes and so much more.
I love this thing, (Cosori), can't believe we lived without it for so long.

I made this soup for the first time a few weeks ago, we were both immediately shocked at how great it tasted from the first spoonful.
This is the website I got it from.
https://www.thereciperebel.com/instant-pot-potato-soup-recipe/

Definitely going to be a legacy recipe we will be making for years.
Super easy to do and inexpensive, also.
I assume this can easily be adapted to a slow cooker but it will just take hours longer.

Lots of salt so cut back a bit if you like or use a substitute...you can always season to taste at the table.
You can use an immersion blender to smooth everything out but I think leaving it chunky is definitely the way to go.

I have tons of great recipes, most people do, but this one was so tasty and impressive and stood out so much I just had to share it with y'all!
If you make it...enjoy!

Ingredients
2 lbs red potatoes about 6 medium
3 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 large carrots peeled and sliced
1 rib celery chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 pinch black pepper
1 cup evaporated milk (or light cream)
2 tablespoons corn starch
cheese, green onions, and bacon for garnish

Instructions
Slice and cut potatoes into 1cm cubes and add to the Instant Pot.
Add broth, carrots, celery, salt, garlic, parsley, thyme, onion powder and pepper. Put the lid on, turn the valve to sealing and select Manual, high pressure, for 3 minutes.
It will take about 20 minutes total, including the time it takes to build pressure. Once the cook time is over, do a gradual quick release by slowly open the valve to release the pressure. You don't want to let it all release at once or it could sputter and foam.
When the lid is off, turn the Instant Pot to saute.
Whisk together the evaporated milk and corn starch and stir into the soup. Cook and stir until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.

Attachments

• photostudio_1545579271384.jpg
    photostudio_1545579271384.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 90
Yummy! Looks a bit like the last pot of soup I made, all yours is missing is the turtle - I made mine snappy! :cool:

Thanks...and eeeewww!
Hey Digger, I apologize if you are vegan as I notice your soup is meat-free. If you aren’t that’s ok too! Ya never had snapper? Wow it’s tasty and one of the cleanest meats out there...I’ve had it barbecued and fried, but after 40 years of eating turtle I’d never tried soup, it’s excellent!

My wife won’t touch turtle soup, she says she’ll stick with chicken. Well, I like chicken but I won’t go near store-bought or KFC, ya know what those birds eat?

That looks really good !!!! :eat3:

…..and a lot fancier than my cooking :lol:

I do all the cooking since I'm retired and my wife still wants to keep working part time for a while, fortunately she don't mind if my cooking doesn't look fancy as long as it tastes good :lol:

Hey Digger, I apologize if you are vegan as I notice your soup is meat-free. If you aren’t that’s ok too! Ya never had snapper? Wow it’s tasty and one of the cleanest meats out there...I’ve had it barbecued and fried, but after 40 years of eating turtle I’d never tried soup, it’s excellent!

My wife won’t touch turtle soup, she says she’ll stick with chicken. Well, I like chicken but I won’t go near store-bought or KFC, ya know what those birds eat?

No big deal.

I love meat....I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain just to become a vegetarian.

There is room for lots of great animal species in this world, many on my plate right next to some buttery mashed potatoes.

Turtles are just not one of them.

That looks really good !!!! :eat3:

…..and a lot fancier than my cooking :lol:

I do all the cooking since I'm retired and my wife still wants to keep working part time for a while, fortunately she don't mind if my cooking doesn't look fancy as long as it tastes good :lol:

This recipe is easy-peasy....add the Ingredients and just cook.
In a crock pot it will take longer, using a pressure cooker it takes about 1/2 hour total to cook and the veggies all come out perfectly tender.
You can add the cheese, scallions and bacon as a garnish but not really necessary, the basic soup without them will surprise you.

Pressure cookers rule!

This recipe is easy-peasy....add the Ingredients and just cook.
In a crock pot it will take longer, using a pressure cooker it takes about 1/2 hour total to cook and the veggies all come out perfectly tender.
You can add the cheese, scallions and bacon as a garnish but not really necessary, the basic soup without them will surprise you.

Pressure cookers rule!

Thanks, I'll have to add to my seasoning collection, it's pretty basic right now :lol:

We got an "Instant Pot" (Ultra 8 Qt version) a few months ago and have been very pleased with it, unlike a regular stovetop pressure cooker this one turns itself off at the right time by itself which is great when you get busy with other chores.

We also have a large countertop convection oven great for when you don't have an extra large item to bake like a turkey or ham, also have a slow cooker, a hot air cooker that uses a large glass bowl. We were thinking about maybe getting one of those hot air fryers where you don't need oil because we stopped frying stuff years ago, we bake or broil instead to avoid all that grease in trying to eat more healthy, so if the hot air fryer gives the effect of frying without having to use oil to fry that would ne neat.

With all the good cooks on here maybe there needs to be a "Favorite Recipes" thread to gather them recipes all in one place :lol:

Maybe get enough recipes and the forum could publish a cook book "The Metal Detectorist Cookbook" :laughing:

Thanks, I'll have to add to my seasoning collection, it's pretty basic right now :lol:

We got an "Instant Pot" (Ultra 8 Qt version) a few months ago and have been very pleased with it, unlike a regular stovetop pressure cooker this one turns itself off at the right time by itself which is great when you get busy with other chores.

We also have a large countertop convection oven great for when you don't have an extra large item to bake like a turkey or ham, also have a slow cooker, a hot air cooker that uses a large glass bowl. We were thinking about maybe getting one of those hot air fryers where you don't need oil because we stopped frying stuff years ago, we bake or broil instead to avoid all that grease in trying to eat more healthy, so if the hot air fryer gives the effect of frying without having to use oil to fry that would ne neat.

With all the good cooks on here maybe there needs to be a "Favorite Recipes" thread to gather them recipes all in one place :lol:

Maybe get enough recipes and the forum could publish a cook book "The Metal Detectorist Cookbook" :laughing:

Tons of pressure cooker sites and recipes out there...This is one of my favorites.
https://pressureluckcooking.com

I have done several recipes off of this site...they work.
I have cooked a lot of batches of boiled peanuts using his recipe, Cajun flavored is my wife's favorite.
Too hard to get fresh raw peanuts easily here even though we live in the south so I just use raw peanuts in a bag from the grocery store.
Yumm!

I make lots of soups for the wife because she loves soup as long as it isn't super hot in the summer.
Sometimes on the stove but since we got a pressure cooker that thing is my main choice for all kinds of recipes.
It gets a real workout around my house for making soups, boiled peanuts, stews, all kinds of chicken recipes and so much more.
I love this thing, (Cosori), can't believe we lived without it for so long.

I made this soup for the first time a few weeks ago, we were both immediately shocked at how great it tasted from the first spoonful.
This is the website I got it from.
https://www.thereciperebel.com/instant-pot-potato-soup-recipe/

Definitely going to be a legacy recipe we will be making for years.
Super easy to do and inexpensive, also.
I assume this can easily be adapted to a slow cooker but it will just take hours longer.

Lots of salt so cut back a bit if you like or use a substitute...you can always season to taste at the table.
You can use an immersion blender to smooth everything out but I think leaving it chunky is definitely the way to go.

I have tons of great recipes, most people do, but this one was so tasty and impressive and stood out so much I just had to share it with y'all!
If you make it...enjoy!

Ingredients
2 lbs red potatoes about 6 medium
3 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 large carrots peeled and sliced
1 rib celery chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 pinch black pepper
1 cup evaporated milk (or light cream)
2 tablespoons corn starch
cheese, green onions, and bacon for garnish

Instructions
Slice and cut potatoes into 1cm cubes and add to the Instant Pot.
Add broth, carrots, celery, salt, garlic, parsley, thyme, onion powder and pepper. Put the lid on, turn the valve to sealing and select Manual, high pressure, for 3 minutes.
It will take about 20 minutes total, including the time it takes to build pressure. Once the cook time is over, do a gradual quick release by slowly open the valve to release the pressure. You don't want to let it all release at once or it could sputter and foam.
When the lid is off, turn the Instant Pot to saute.
Whisk together the evaporated milk and corn starch and stir into the soup. Cook and stir until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.

my wife would love having you in her kitchen. She absolutely loves to make big batches of soups and freezes them in small plastic bowl size containers. She then takes them to work for lunch.

Me? It is Cambells soup or nothing. So she has long given up on me. When she cooks anything she is always experimenting with the forumula. Me? I like certain recipes and don't like to vary one iota in the method, spices or ingredients. Little wonder she says I am no fun to cook for and a lot of nights we eat out or it is Stouffer time for me.

The exception being when I grill steaks or chicken. Love that grilled meat.

Back
Top Bottom