Checklist for first water hunt...

BBsGal

Forum Supporter
Okay, so far I've got the equipment lined out, got my first site chosen, got my better o-ring kit on the way to make this CTX (I sure hope!) waterproof...
Here's my list, am I forgetting anything? I'm planning to do my first water hunt as soon as the o-ring kit gets here and want to be sure I have my ducks in a row.

Scoop
Floating sifter
Pouch
Water clothes & sneakers

Maybe Suntan lotion, Sunglasses and mosquito protection?

You may or may not need compression shorts. When we use our scoops some sand in the water gets in your swimwear and a rash sends you home quick. I bought some made by under armour. Some use a camelback for water so you don't have to carry bottles or quit hunting for a drink. Make sure you got a zipper pouch. If I dig gold rings and don't want to walk to the car I have some paracord tied to my car keys and belt loop. I untie the loop and slide the ring on, Even if it breaks it falls in my pocket:lol: Also if you got a bunch of people bothering you its best to have a buff to cover your face. It reduces the people who want to talk by 90%:lol:

Attachments

• SAM_2592.jpg
    SAM_2592.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 279
Can't believe everyone missed the DETECTOR and extra battery!
Nitrile covered gloves give a better grip on the scoop and if you wear a wedding band, they may save you from having to search for it.
I usually carry an extra detector - just in case.

Is it a long handled scoop? I recommend that. Maybe a snorkel and mask too.

I'm a novice to deeper water and froze my rear off in a high mountain pond. Had a hard time with a hand scoop, and non-waterproof ear bud.

It was fun tho!

Gluck!

You may or may not need compression shorts. When we use our scoops some sand in the water gets in your swimwear and a rash sends you home quick. I bought some made by under armour. Some use a camelback for water so you don't have to carry bottles or quit hunting for a drink. Make sure you got a zipper pouch. If I dig gold rings and don't want to walk to the car I have some paracord tied to my car keys and belt loop. I untie the loop and slide the ring on, Even if it breaks it falls in my pocket:lol: Also if you got a bunch of people bothering you its best to have a buff to cover your face. It reduces the people who want to talk by 90%:lol:

Good points, lots to think about there. Never thought about compression shorts, but not sure it will be all that sandy in our lakes. If it turns out to be, I'll know what to do! Zipper pouch, check. I'll throw in a bandana just in case I'm feeling unsociable (I usually am when I hunt :lol: )

Get a cheap steel cut copy of your car keys, leave the good ones in the car...

If I didn't have push button door access I would do that. I just lock them in normally.

Can't believe everyone missed the DETECTOR and extra battery!
Nitrile covered gloves give a better grip on the scoop and if you wear a wedding band, they may save you from having to search for it.
I usually carry an extra detector - just in case.

Heh, I was thinking about the detector for sure, but def did not think of extra batteries, so good call! I don't wear my rings when I hunt as I don't want them ending up in some other pirate's pouch if they fall off me :lol:

cooler with beer and ice.:cool:camera so you can show us your finds.:D

Yes, and yes :yes:

Is it a long handled scoop? I recommend that. Maybe a snorkel and mask too.

I'm a novice to deeper water and froze my rear off in a high mountain pond. Had a hard time with a hand scoop, and non-waterproof ear bud.

It was fun tho!

Gluck!

Definitely got myself a long handled scoop, I'm not thinking I'd like going under water in these lakes to scoop when I'm just planning on wading in. :nah:

Not too much danger of me freeing my tail off here in this warm water climate, probably more danger of getting too hot, so I'm going to hope for a not too hot cloudy day for my first outing and see how it goes.

I used polarized sunglasses (fishing glasses) if water is clear you can eyeball targets. Gloves and a wide brimmed hat (depending on what headphones I'm going to use).
Have fun I hope you score some gold!

I used polarized sunglasses (fishing glasses) if water is clear you can eyeball targets. Gloves and a wide brimmed hat (depending on what headphones I'm going to use).
Have fun I hope you score some gold!

Oh yeah, definitely a hat! Thanks, I hope so too.

So... whatsa BBSGal doing with an FBS detector?

Sacrilege!

R5

waterproof pouch for your cell phone....cuz ya never know when you might need it. Also, something to secure that floating sifter so it doesn't float away. Have a great hunt!!!

SHARK repellent..........:laughing::laughing::laughing: (hey we have to keep the new people out of the water some how.)

Dew

Take an aspirin BEFORE hand...and dont fight the water, it may take a little time for you to settle down and swing easy so as not to put any stress on your elbow....instead of an arc, you can try a 'herringbone' pattern sweep, push and pull your rig out and back instead of a side to side sweep like normal...use your legs and your upper body instead of your arm..You can really reach and cover some ground by rocking your torso side to side like this...

Let your finds tell you whats going on here...how deep, age, etc...If you find old sinkers or older pulltabs, focus up and work that area...dig everything at first to let you know whats going on in this specific area..you gotta think about what the area is telling you, and set your rig/hunting style up accordingly...Work the places off to the side of the established swim area...think like a late night drunken skinnydipper, and target those kinds of locations....

set a goal of finding 50 targets lets say...this way, you wont be dinking around wasting time...come up with a productive and fairly efficient time sensitive style...on sweeping, pinpointing and scooping, letting your feet, ears, and eyes tell you if you are on the correct pay streak...Its just practice with all this in mind..theres a lot to it...,

So... whatsa BBSGal doing with an FBS detector?

Sacrilege!

R5

:laughing::laughing: I never thought of it that way, it means BB's gal as in my husband BB, not the BBS detectors but what a hoot!

Utterly smooth for all the body parts that rub together

Gotcha, don't need no chafing...

Good luck

Thanks!

waterproof pouch for your cell phone....cuz ya never know when you might need it. Also, something to secure that floating sifter so it doesn't float away. Have a great hunt!!!

Ooh, I didn't even think of the phone thing, and yes, have a leash for the sifter to keep it from deserting me. Thanks!

SHARK repellent..........:laughing::laughing::laughing: (hey we have to keep the new people out of the water some how.)

Dew

:lol::lol: Them Oklahoma lake sharks are vicious too, nothing to mess around with! :laughing: Now, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a little gator, but I hope they all stay farther south...

Take an aspirin BEFORE hand...and dont fight the water, it may take a little time for you to settle down and swing easy so as not to put any stress on your elbow....instead of an arc, you can try a 'herringbone' pattern sweep, push and pull your rig out and back instead of a side to side sweep like normal...use your legs and your upper body instead of your arm..You can really reach and cover some ground by rocking your torso side to side like this...

Let your finds tell you whats going on here...how deep, age, etc...If you find old sinkers or older pulltabs, focus up and work that area...dig everything at first to let you know whats going on in this specific area..you gotta think about what the area is telling you, and set your rig/hunting style up accordingly...Work the places off to the side of the established swim area...think like a late night drunken skinnydipper, and target those kinds of locations....

set a goal of finding 50 targets lets say...this way, you wont be dinking around wasting time...come up with a productive and fairly efficient time sensitive style...on sweeping, pinpointing and scooping, letting your feet, ears, and eyes tell you if you are on the correct pay streak...Its just practice with all this in mind..theres a lot to it...,

Man, lots to think about there! Thanks, it will take me a while just to digest all that :yes:

Back
Top Bottom