How do you feel about gravesite/cemetery Md'ing

critik

So there is a 1800's gravesite with maybe fifteen graves some are just rock some tombstones. But it was squared away with a rock wall so people can walk in and look. The history about the place is about a lady who use to teach her students under a oak tree back in the colonial days, there was a house nearby but it's all built up around the area with other new houses and a park. So eventually time goes on and the lady passed. And so they buried her under the oak tree and also buried a bunch of other family.

It's maybe 20x20 ft space. What on your thoughts on detecting inside and outside the rock wall?

It's generally looked down on, for some pretty good reasons. Maybe the out skirts of the cemetery yard itself would be ok, with permission. I've hunted some outside of a graveyard that had a rock wall around it, I wasn't or wouldn't hunt around or on the graves themselves . Even on the outskirts, some people may still think you're being disrespectful. My opinion for what it's worth.

Search here for the words digging, gravesite and cemetery.
One of the biggest things that cause the most heated arguments and reactions on the forum.

Bad Karma, disrespectful...Plenty of other dirt in this world to hunt that don't have dead people in the vicinity so look for those sites instead.

Here we go... :popcorn:

:laughing::laughing: Oh yeah! Well hey..lets think a little here!...Purely from a mercenary aspect...Back in the old timey days, folks had to go to the Cem on horseback...As we all know, thats a lotta work....hitching up a team and making the run...In that light., I'd look for the nearest shady watering hole, picnic spot off the main boneyard grounds and hunt that area...

A guy just didnt go out with the team for giggles, so chances are, it was a full day event...so yeah, off to the side of the main Cemetary is where I'd be hunting...nearest shade and water picnic spots and horse locations.....Folks didnt have nothing to do back then...there was no TV or Internet....Time lasted forever! Going to the boneyard and spending the day was a big festive deal!:laughing:

Just stand there for a moment and put yourself back in Time...look at the topography....guaranteed...all the lounging around drop zones are off to the side someplace...

Think about it a little...back in the 1800's, nobody had any money, but everyone had a horse, a knife, and a firearm of some sort....They made the trip to the local boneyard and would have hung out all day, drinking, gambling, smoking...doing things like that off to the side...there aint nothing in the boneyard proper....dont even dare swing it, and if you do, for your sake, do not make a post about it!..:laughing:.

Last edited:
Bring a good shouvel and chain saw just in case the tree needs to be removed !
,,,,,HH

It may be repetitive, but not for the poster asking for helpful information. Our society has become very nasty these past 8 years. Why can't we just give the poster our opinion without being so callous?

Personally, I've hunted cemeteries in the past with permission of the cemetery manager. I hunted the dirt roads, and the common areas, not over the graves themselves. I, also, helped to clean up the areas that were shoddy looking, and helped to reset markers that were out of place. Besides, the residents don't know you're doing it.

Ok bring it on, as I know you will...

It may be repetitive, but not for the poster asking for helpful information. Our society has become very nasty these past 8 years. Why can't we just give the poster our opinion without being so callous?

Personally, I've hunted cemeteries in the past with permission of the cemetery manager. I hunted the dirt roads, and the common areas, not over the graves themselves. I, also, helped to clean up the areas that were shoddy looking, and helped to reset markers that were out of place. Besides, the residents don't know you're doing it.

This is very intriguing! You know me Tex! I ask in all honesty...What are the hot BoneYard locations? Off to the side at the picnic groves and horse watering areas?

I bought my first detector in 2005. This older gent saw me - went to same church - and asked if I would find this lost item and I did. Then he told me about this old abandoned cemetery that was in bad shape. I drove by and yes it was in bad shape. I never could get comfortable with going there. Plus what would I do if I dug up ring with a hand attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NICELY SAID TEX! :hi5:

Search here for the words digging, gravesite and cemetery.

One of the biggest things that cause the most heated arguments and reactions on the forum.

Bad Karma, disrespectful...Plenty of other dirt in this world to hunt that don't have dead people in the vicinity so look for those sites instead.

I won't disagree with what you posted. Lots of other dirt. However we are seeing culture shifts given society and in America it is just getting started. Some cultures don't respect the dead others do. Even our American culture is shifting in a different direction and where it stops who knows. Not to get political but some in our country have no clue what is going to transpire from their choices and I am betting they aren't going to like the results. I for one will leave those who have gone on to their final resting place lay there undisturbed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty new here, but I would feel like it's a property that you could never ask the owner for permission. Plus I view it as sacred ground. Some people when they visit loved ones that have passed will leave personal items that end up in the ground. I know it's tempting due to the history, but I wouldn't want that karma.

Back
Top Bottom