• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Best day ever! Christmas pile of silver

That’s crazy hunting Pulltab,the kind of day we try to replicate every time we go out! It only solidifies the notion of LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION! A 10x10 square ft area CAN produce like that....IF THEY ARE THERE! It’s up to us to scan enough of the CORRECT ground to find out. Research,and a healthy dose of “I ain’t giving up” are what separate the guys who find many and the guys who find some. No matter what,the numbers only drive me internally,because I measure my abilities by results. It feels good to know you’re on the right track,and YOU are on that track!:grin:
I did find a Walker recently like Mud said...it was in a hole along with 5 wheat pennies,hence the goofy 5-44 reading. It repeated solidly and was deep enough at that particular site to see what it was,I’m glad I did. Those huge coins are very few and far between anymore!
GREAT HUNT!!

Wowzers

Fantastic hunt. Santa was super nice to you, I'de say. I've never hit a dime Tri fecta before. Congratulations.
HH everyone
Well, Santa was nice to my daughter-in-law too. I gave her $20.00 in lotto scratch offs for Christmas, and she won a Thousand Dollars.

What an amazing hunt! Nothing like a pile of silver for Christmas. You'll remember that hunt for a long time! Congrats!

I went out for a couple hours on Christmas eve to a small empty lot I had never hunted and in the first 5 min along the sidewalk found a 1900 Barber quarter (my 5th),I was still pretty happy about it. last Christmas eve I found my 1st and 2nd mercury dimes. Then yesterday, on Christmas day I went back about 2 blocks from that spot where there is another city owned lot on a corner I have passed 100's of times over the years and for the last year or so thought about hunting it as a kind of last resort place. Because of where it is located I figured it would be a real trash pit. Boy was I wrong!! I started along the sidewalk working the curbstrip and found a few memorials, nothing exciting. Then I got into the yard and still was only finding a bit of clad. I got far enough in that i was almost where the house once stood and was just about to stop when I got a 12-47. It was a '48 GW quarter, very nice I thought. That was just the beginning...I went 3 ft and got a 1909O Barber dime next to a wheat. 3 feet past that a 1925 mercury dime. I couldn't believe it. 3 silvers in a row in a straight line! I then moved over and started another row and popped a 1956 rosie almost immediately. I was stunned. what are the odds? Then I realized i had just hit a dime trifecta in about the size of a small truck bed within 20 minutes.
WOW!! I thought to myself. how could it get any better that this? But it did. I got back close to where I found the quarter and about 5 feet from it got another signal. it was bouncing 12-46 down to 6-46 and 8-46. I dug it and my jaw dropped.. Out comes a big piece of silver. I was in shock and disbelief. I
stared at it for a minute and washed it off. I could't believe my eyes or my luck. It was gorgeous 1946D walking liberty half.(my 1st). As anyone who has done any amount of metal detecting knows, its not uncommon to hunt for days or even weeks between silvers. But I had just dug 5 silvers including a half dollar and a dime trifecta in under an hour. Hands down best hunt ever for me, and on Christmas day too..to top it off, I went back today for about 2 hours and got a 53' GW, 1935 mercury dime and a 1906 indian. I know in some parts of the country that's not a huge deal but where I'm at it's like hitting the lottery or seeing bigfoot riding a unicorn. I have since named that spot the Lyle ave. silver mine :grin: you can see in the pic where i dug. the ground was a bit too moist to make nice plugs but its a city lot not a nice lawn and the first time it rains it will make it look much better. the 1st 5 silvers came from that small area. The following 2 and Indian came from about where stood when I took the picture. Anyway, thanks for reading and Happy New year!

I had a hunt exactly like this. Then I woke up...

You are 100% correct about location, and the funny thing about this particular spot was I have passed it hundreds of times and since I started metal detecting dozens upon dozens of times and always thought it would be super trashy and there would be nothing there and only thought of it as a last resort.. I still don't know why I decided on it that day other than it was Short Grass, a city owned lot, and I didn't have much time. I honestly thought I'd be lucky to pull a Rosie or maybe a merc. Still blows my mind that there was that much there. It will probably help me find more because now I won't just dismiss a location because I "think" there won't be anything there.

Back
Top Bottom