I am a fair weather digger...

I just turned 71 today and I'll still hunt until I can't walk. Last year was the first year the heat got to me a couple of times so this year I'm not going out there if it's more than 85 degrees and my hunt duration will be shorter than it used to be. I'll still go out if the temp is 40 or more with no wind. Cold winds are a no go now.

done with this
thanks

I dont blame you one bit! Horrible conditions! Understandable! Please turn in the keys! Take that full pitchure of marguaritas off your head and leave it on the buffet table...I'm surprised you lasted this long!...You were a good Butler, you did better than most, I will miss you...you made it through until noon!:laughing::laughing: As your severance pay, Take a bag of shrimp on your way out...I know you like them...

I kinda look at detecting like this, relates to the adage about exercizing, "You get the most gain when you go those times when you don't feel like it."

I'm not radical though yet I went Sunday to hunt at 8am. Temp at 39, wind whipping to 15mph, and felt miserable with my thin digging gloves. Two hours later it was in the 50s, wind slowed, and we hunted the day out.

The very first thing I personally learned about detecting is that it's WORK! If you're looking for jewelry and silvers, there's a price to paiy for it. If you're just a weekend hobbiest, thats fine but, the more you discriminate against the conditions of Mother Nature, the less surprises you will be rewarded, which will lead to slowing down until you seldom even get out.

It's strange that this topic came up because I was just talking with my buddy Sunday about friends who have slowed way down, saying, "It's geting cold, it's supposed to rain" etc. It's 60 that day instead of 82 like precious days. Rain is scheduled for one hour outta the day, and showers only.

It gets "slow down addictive" if you start letting yourself get "too soft." jm2c

done with this
thanks

Wow... that's some pretty thin skin. Hope you have good gloves for digging. The Mudpup is a literary genius with some of the most enteraining reads on here. See plenty of jest but never any type of personal insults on his behalf. Personally I'd have some shrimp with him and his butler anyday, Not to mention those maid of his are pretty hot, even if thier outfits don't quite fit their size 36 bodies and a few of thier teeth are either missing or in double rows. It's all good. :lol:

His humor might not be seen by me. For now I'll just chose to ignore him and his directed comments.
As for thin skin, call it as you see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His humor might not be seen by me.

Don't feel bad... It's like morel mushrooms, they can be right in front of your left shoe and you can't see it .. But, once you manage to find the first one, it's like instant calibration.. You see em everywhere now...

Good luck!

<°)))>{

::::hangs head in shame:::::
Don't think I'm able to associate with most here anymore.
My new threshold is 50* and no precipitation.
I've turned into mush as I've aged I suppose.
But if I'm not having fun with it, I ain't doing it :(

Apparently my threshold is 41 deg and windy. I had about an hour to hunt yesterday but only managed 30 minutes before I went running for the truck.

BCD

Fly Fishing

It happens. I remember when I first got into fly fishing, I was on the water in any weather. I had to break the ice off of my rod fishing in the winter. Now, I'm not out there unless the temps are at least somewhat livable. Do what you do when you want. As others said it is a hobby and it is meant to be enjoyed.

BCD

Yep, been there and done that!!!!!!!!! I loved it when the snow started flying and the guides started freezing up, and the fish were hitting dryflies like mad. It was snowing, and I was all warm inside because I just released a 22 inch brown. I was in Montana Heaven, and when the sun broke through, I popped open another beer, this was the life. Now I dirt fish, and I'm a little older, 71, and still hunt in over a hundred degrees, and when it's freezing, I'm not about to let up, and get old.
HH everyone

I dont blame you one bit! Horrible conditions! Understandable! Please turn in the keys! Take that full pitchure of marguaritas off your head and leave it on the buffet table...I'm surprised you lasted this long!...You were a good Butler, you did better than most, I will miss you...you made it through until noon!:laughing::laughing: As your severance pay, Take a bag of shrimp on your way out...I know you like them...

You know Mud, I can't help but think if you had tried to avoid a few of those piles of dog poo none of this would have happened. You know in your heart you aimed for a couple and that big one you mashed the coil into was just uncalled for. Would you work in those conditions? Ok, not a fair question. You try not to work in any conditions. But seriously, let the next butler swing a coil once in a while. Or at least pat the diggers on the butt and tell them "good job". :laughing:

Wow, this post went south really quick! All because someone can't "lighten up". C'mon, everyone knows Mud is a clown, here to amuse us! :lol:

Like most of you other poor btards, ..I have an assistant arrange all of my hunts..She reserves the entire park for a "Private Party".. A rental company comes in ahead of time and sets up a big tent over the entire place...its all climate controlled of course.

Theres an open bar set up, a violin group of fiddlers from the Symphony playing softly in the background...a nice comfy "Nap area" with Sealy Posturepedics even....some real high end portacrappers downwind, the big ones! Not the little County Fair cheapos! Theres a catered buffet table, with fine cuts of cheeses, fruits, shrimp, etc...sometimes I have it stocked with KFC, or BuffaloWildWings...depending on my mood...pretty much standard for the average detectorist..

Then, I simply hunt the place! Under the tent! I dress in a tuxedo!...I hit a target, and one of my nubile female attendants, dressed as a French maid does the digging! "OhhLaLa Mr MudPuppy! Its anozer penny!" "Well Blankety friggin Blank!" I holler, and we all laugh!!

I have a butler to light my smokes, and I give him all sorts of hell just for giggles...for instance, I balance a can of beer on top of his head when I'm pinpointing! Hilarious! I'm always bussing his balz about something or another! He is supposed to be wiping off my coil with a wet wipe after every few swings for instance...Or, I send him out to chase away any flies that might be hovering around the crapper...

The rest of the time, he follows along meekly behind, shaking a plastic coffee can full of dirty clad and gravel like its a martini! ....All the digging girls think I'm a riot! Its hard to tell what he thinks...just a deadpan glare like normal...Especially when I say, "I dont hear that damned clad shaker running? WTH are you even here for?" Every weekend, same deal! Different park, different food, but over and over, I force myself to get out and hunt in these deplorable conditions!

Then, back at the mansion, another assistant writes my posts for me even...So I hear you about NO Fun....Some Forum Members here are rich enough to travel with the seasons and not have to put up with these kinds of problems like the rest of us...Damn butlers nowadays! Cant hardly balance a can of beer on their head, shake load of clad or chase off flies even! I dont know what I'm paying this guy for! He cant wipe dog poop off a coil without rolling his eyes and making a big production out of it either! I'm like Hell, go have some shrimp and get yourself a drink...run that clad load over to the Coinstar or something? Take the Bentley! Bring me and the digging maids back a pitchure of margaritas balanced on top of your head, and some BK broilers, Then you can take a nap!!
If I could bring along a bottle of Jack Daniels Single barrel to share would you allow me to dig clad with you?

Well.....I just spent 45 years in Alaska.....so there isn't anything that will keep me from a good detecting trip except below zero temperatures.....lol Rain or shine.....when I can go.....I'm going! As an example I recently got back from a trip to the gold country in California....visiting my son. We each have Whites GMTs & headed out as soon as I got there. Rain, rain, rain!!! Flooded streams, soaked clothes.....but I still managed to pull out a Mercury dime & a nice quarter ounce gold nugget from the bedrock along the swollen banks. I'm 66 years old and Lord willing I can keep going for another few years! Don't let the weather get ya down....keep on rolling & you'll last a long time more!

Back
Top Bottom