A Short guide to writing Metal Detector reviews.

Artur C.

I've been going through the reviews on metaldetectorreviews.net and other forums/review sites have found some atrocious "reviews" whether favorable or unfavorable towards a particular detector. I have to say that 90% of them are completely useless. So why the post? Because these reviews don't do anyone any good and confuse new users about what their choices really are when purchasing a new machine. A bad purchase can dissuade a new THer from ever becoming a seasoned detectorist.

So here is what you need and don't need to put into the review.

First and foremost when making a judgement about a piece of equipment, it is important to note your experience level with the hobby and with the machine. Reviews from veterans as well as newbies are important. A great way to gauge the worth of a piece of equipment is to see how all operator levels react to each machine. If I'm a newbie I want to know what a newbie think of a metal detector. If I want a sophisticated detector, I want to know what good operators think of it and vice versa.

Second, get down and explain each feature you think is important and whether it works or not. For example, if the coil is too small or pinpoints poorly, state this clearly. If you think the signagraph is a worthless feature, say so and say why. Same goes for build quality, etc etc etc. Be specific. Report your findings.

Third. Don't bash other reviewers for disagreeing with you. This is mostly due to bad reviews and people not being specific about their complaints. Reviews devolve to a bad forum post with bickering. A turnoff for potential new users and buyers.

Fourth. Don't use the review as a medium to bash a machine because you purchased it and don't like it, and to tout something different. Report your findings and state the shortcomings. To be sure, comparisons are great but don't make blanket statements.

Fifth. PLEASE don't start ranting about the finds you have made with the machine, as it tells nothing about the machine. Everyone's situation is different. Perhaps you have better or worse places to hunt. DO: Summarize what kind of hunting you do and what your expectations are and what type of area and conditions you are working in. If you work in really bad soil, tell us, so that those living in similar places can use what you have observed.

Six. Don't exagerate. This is BAD BAD BAD. I've seen outrageous claims made that can't be backed up by anyone. For seasoned hunters it's something we can overlook and scoff at, but to a newbie wanting to get into the hobby it will exaggerate expectations.

Finally. It's still your opinion so be yourself and have fun writing it... after all it's a hobby all of us enjoy. Be critical and praiseworthy when either is deserved. Make comparisons and judgements but make them accurate fair and useful. And don't do this --> "This machine just plain sucks, so go get brand Y, problem solved" ...

Thanks for reading, and hope this helps those wanting to write a review, remember that people read these things and spend their hard earned dollars based on your observations.

-Art

Some examples of worthless reviews (no authors mentioned)

----> I just want to say I love my E-Trac. These boys from Whales (although I think it is one person causing trouble) need to learn how to hunt. This machine beats the V3 and any other machine I have faced off against.
This "review" tells me nothing about the machine

---->I've had my machine for about 6 months now and what chris from north wales said is so true, their is a big problem with this machine, for £1400 I've dug up more rubbish than good, I would say about 70% of rubbish, so now am selling mine and going back to my fisher75. minelab your product is very poor for the price.
Why is it bad? Tell us your experience!!!

---->I started out with a xlt and found thousands of coins, rings and artifacts over the last several years. I just purchased a whites dfx and noticed more depth and easier detecting. Luck of the Irish with the dfx (gold escudo and several cobb pieces of eight) cape cod vacation 4-12-09. I will be a buyer of whites for the rest of my days.
Great, now tell as something about the actual detector we can use.
---->Simply put, you don't spend $1000 to play with programs in hopes of making your metal detector work. The DFX may in fact prove to be an ok machine someday for me. But, in the mean time, don't waste your money. Pick another model, like the XLT, or go to a different brand.

Borrow, steal, or rent the machine you hope to purchase, before you do, and try it in a known coin garden. If the machine dosn't work in a planted garden, why would it work in the field?

In this case, the DFX has not been able to find 9 coins, 4 clad at eight inches, and 4 more at six. Quarters, nickels, dimes, and pennies in that order. Except with one wheatie for giggles at six.

The soil in my test garden is clayish, and clean of iron. So, if a $99 radio shack knows where the coins are (doesn't know what though), then the DFX should at ten times the price right??? Errrrr, uh,, nope!!!!!

The $99 Radio Shack doesn't need to be tweeked, or a favorite program loaded.. Time spent farting around with programs could better be spent finding old coins with a good machine. And no, I am not trying to sell Rad Shack stuff either. But, that model that was on clearance for the past year outperforms the DFX , and also the more expensive Rad Shack models, and a couple from Fisher as well in my garden .

Leave the DFX to those who also like the Whites Bullseye pinpointer.. Another cute little black box that doesn't work too well either. They should give one away to every sucker who buys a DFX. ALSO,, TELL WHITES TO KEEP THEIR 14" DD Eclipse coil. It doens't work, and is not stable.. SEE HOW MANY HAVE SOLD ALREADY ON EBAY??? Proof for you.. If the "new" coil and DFX are so great, why are they being sold in such numbers??? Caveat Emptor. Also, Whites should tripple the warranty cause it may take that long to learn how to use the DFX effectively

I know you're mad but please at least tell us something about the test before you bash...

Interesting Art, but I think you're making it sound too complicated.

Most reviews I take with a pinch of salt. Especially those published in magazines.
I don't recall ever hearing a reviewer saying a particular detector, was a piece of c**p.

People giving personal reviews or opinions on forums, are usually comparing a detector
to others they have owned, which again can be misleading.

All I need to know is:
How much it costs, and is it value for money ?
Do you need a degree in Physics to be able to understand how it works ?
What is the typical depth you can expect in the field ?
Will it work on the beach ?
What is the build quality ?
How long do batteries last ?
What is the discrimination like ?

well

thanks for the insight......i dont know what they are crying about in the first place. i love my dfx and its performed well for me. learning it has been tricky especially being my first real detector. but i dont seem to have too much trouble bringing home the goods........change silver gold or otherwise the machine is great but i also cant compare to anything other then the $180 bounty hunter in which case the dfx opend a whole new door of knowledge and learning too. i turned it on and found alot more then rubbish my first time out.:lol:

Review sites are just that...

I see nothing wrong with the reviews on the site you mentioned... its helps lots of people....

If you don't like something you read... ignore it and move on :D

People are going to post whatever they feel... who are we to judge them?

Most people are not technical writers (yes, that IS a profession), and mostly record their emotions (love it, hate it, etc). I agree, reviews written as you describe, would be helpful. However, many reviews of the same nature, become empirical evidence. For example, a hundred reviews and 83 say a product is lousy - very likely that product is lousy and I do not really need any further detail - although more detail would be informative. I just read the reviews with a view to facts I can use. Then, if really interested, I go after some professional advice. RickO

Review sites are just that...

I see nothing wrong with the reviews on the site you mentioned... its helps lots of people....

If you don't like something you read... ignore it and move on :D

People are going to post whatever they feel... who are we to judge them?

I must disagree. There are in fact "reviews" that have the author admitting they've never even tried the product. Some of the review pages might as well not even exist.

I must disagree. There are in fact "reviews" that have the author admitting they've never even tried the product. Some of the review pages might as well not even exist.

Would you rather have a lackey or person who is paid to review a detector? Not me I want a raw down to earth review and those sites give just that like it or not...

For the most part the metaldetectorreviews site is very good... every site can and will have some bad reviews...

Why don't you go to that site you mentioned and put a review up... show others how it should be done to your standards ;)

I agree with your points Artur, but reviews are always subjective. There are too many variables. I find it entertaining to sometimes check on restaurants I enjoy and find out how absolutely horrible they are. I'm surprised that I'm alive considering I ate the same food as the reviewers! Same goes with lodging, cars, electronics, whatever. People can be so absolute biased, incompetent or just trollish, so I don't put a lot of stock most reviews. When I do actually try to glean any info from a review, I try to use the "bell curve" method and throw out the top and bottom ones and hope the ones in the middle are mildly accurate.

you just wrote a review on how to write reviews. Bout like fishing.........Whatever works on a given day under different conditions................

Artur, I thought you were spot on. Agree with your thoughts completely. Especially where tester/reviewers happen to find something nice and credit the machine. This is an indication of a good location, not a good machine. They always get this backwards.

In time, if you read a forum long enough, you will read certain experienced members whose findings most closely match your own. I tend to take their opinions more seriously. I guess this is human nature but read (for example) our own moderator Detector and tell me where he ever goes way off course. Never happens. Same with many other older detector operators. The stuff they write has more weight. In my mind, Artur, you are in that same savvy group.

OT

Several things to keep in mind:

• You will never see a negative review in a magazine or other commercial piece.
  • Don't be swayed by the "finds" made during the testing. That has more to do with the location, unless the find is extraordinarily deep.
  • A detector that performed well for the tester may perform badly for you simply because of the different locations (e.g. the BeachHunter ID performance on US East coast vs. West coast salt beaches).
  • Your mileage will vary.

Back
Top Bottom