curb hunting How to find out if legal in your city?

tomme boy

I was out hunting in a section of town that was torn down to make way for a factory. All that is left is the streets and sidewalks. I have been detecting these for about 2 weeks and doing really well. Tonite the security guards showed up being a real butt head. I tried to explain to him about the right of way and the light poles on the curb strips and the stop signs. He would not have any of it. So I left as he was calling the cops. He said they already trespassed 9 other guys doing this already.

So I need to get a hold of someone Monday to find out what the rule is here in my town. Who do I look up? I want something in writing if I can to shove it in the guys face. I tried looking it up but I can not find anything.

I'm in Clinton Iowa

Oh Hells Bells, go on the Cites website, download their logo.. Go into Word and Create something really official looking and go back and shove it in his face and as you do whip out one of those tiny little notebooks and blatantly ask for his Name and Badge number.. :p

Security guards? Are you sure it isn’t private property? Maybe it used to be city property, and it’s now privately owned, streets and all - sometimes that happens if the whole thing is going to become a mammoth factory. Otherwise, if it really is still city owned, just hang out until the police show up. A public right-of-way curb strip is never trespassing.

As far as determining whether a location is public right-of-way or not, usually the best resources are your local county auditor’s website or the onX Hunt app. Auditor websites often have GIS maps viewable online that will show property lines relative to the streets. OnX Hunt provides the same.

Please don’t call or email anyone at the city. No one will really know, so the safe answer will be “no, you can’t metal detect on curb strips”. Might even get someone who would suggest something ridiculous like needing to apply for excavation permits like some sort of utility contractor! :lol:

I had a challenge recently. He claimed I needed city hall’s permission to do anything in the easement area. I told him no and I can prove it. I said didn’t we just have an election and he agreed. I asked him if he had noticed all,of the political signs in the easement area. I said they didn’t have to have permission to use this area and neither do I.

He backed off.

The streets and sidewalks are still city owned. He admitted that. But all the property of where the houses were at they bought.

If you want to look. https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d41.8302055!4d-90.1924594

That pin is the sidewalk where I was at. All of that green there are no houses at all now. ADM is the factory that bought most of it. Thing of it I have been going there for a couple weeks and the security guards have stopped a few times and asked what I was doing and never had a problem. All have been great. This guy was a *ss right off the bat. His old lady must have caught him cheating on her or something. Or he had the typical badge syndrome.

You maybe be in for a uphill battle :?:
:digginahole::police::oldguy::worms:
Yep curb strips can be great places to hunt.
Some of my best finds have been there,
along with a lot of Lookie lous,
stern faced people, curious & ticked off people..
and a few conversations with police.
I have found it best to treat curb strip hunting "cautiously "
First, research it, residential...talk to the property owner,
that is in front of the house, apartment or business.
it may lead to another permission... their back yard or even neighbors ?
Don't call on the city to recite you the code/article/ ordinance
go on line, or check it for yourself,
by visiting the city hall, or the administrators' office.
A few years ago I made the mistake in one town of making a phone call...
I didn't get the answers I had hoped to hear.
I didn't receive any code numbers, or verification...
The city official I spoke with put me on hold a few minutes
then said he had talk with the utilities dept....
" With fiber optics, electric lines, etc, etc. we don't want people digging
anyone or making problems,
also saying that even the people living in the town
if that they want to plant a tree or even land scape in front of their homes
on the " curb strips or city property, they must present a written proposal that must be approved by the city council........
It maybe looked at as an nuisance call, by the cities eyes.
As that they don't want one department getting bothered by someone detecting and property owners making a call to the police or city departments.
Yeah, there are lots of people that don't like or understand this hobby.
Thinking we are digging down into water lines, or other utilities....
Just remember that there are plenty of other places to hunt.
I like to make my approach like this; ( My door knock)
My name, where I'm from, my hobby is looking for piece of history,
I'd like to try to detect in front of your house along the curb strip,
between the sidewalk and street. If that would be okay with you?
I know that you mow and maintain it, but that is the public right of way....
Most property owners, must maintain this area but don't pay property tax on these sections, depending where the property pins are....
Also, how I don't leave trash or any ankle twister holes.
If it is a problem, I can move along, and hunt elsewhere,
I thank them (yes or no answer and telling them to have a nice day)

Last edited:
I say go back and let the power tripping rent-a-cop call the real cops. If you're lucky, you'll get a professional officer of the law on scene that you can have a sensible discussion with. Good luck!

Lmao Nc Toad and myself just went out on a strip hunt this morning. I was waiting on someone to call us on it. NOTHING, and we were right behind the Sheriffs Dept. :laughing::laughing:

So I need to get a hold of someone Monday to find out what the rule is here in my town. Who do I look up? I want something in writing if I can to shove it in the guys face. I tried looking it up but I can not find anything.

I'm in Clinton Iowa

The feeling of frustration can be very, hard to take with the answer "No"
but being spiteful, if you're in "the right" doesn't serve our hobby well.....
Try to conduct yourself in a friendly, courteous manner.
If one town starts a ban on metal detecting, it could spread like wildfire :?:

Better to leave and just come back later. Any object shoved, to any face, never is constructive.

Just my 2 cents.

Well it looks like mother nature has put an end to it for me for the year. 16"+ snow. So I will just have to try to do some research by the looks of it. One of the service stations I hang out at, one of the cities judges gets his car worked on their. I BS with him all the time. I may hit him up with a what if ??? and see what he says. I have asked him about a bunch of things in the past and he has never steered me wrong.

But for now, I am stuck indoors

I'm not convinced it's legal even on city owned property. Every city is going to have some kind of law about about digging, disturbing, or damaging plants. I think it's more a case of "does anyone care". I think the easiest way to find out would have been to stay and talk to the cops.

Better to leave and just come back later. ....

I like this answer.

You could "knock yourself silly" by going to city hall and trying to get this guy overturned. But why beat your brains out ? Just make note of when this guy booted you. If it was 8am, then you can safely assume he's not on shift at 8pm, etc...

I've given up thinking I can convert every last person on earth to love & adore my hobby. So if they don't see me, then .. presto: Problem solved.

Just find the dirtiest, most ragged clothes you can find. Wrap pieces of duct tape around your detector, mumble incoherently to yourself when drooling and hitting the curb strip. If anyone questions you just stare blankly at them and drool some more without answering them or completely ignore their existence. I'm willing to bet they will leave you alone :laughing:

I'm not convinced it's legal even on city owned property. Every city is going to have some kind of law about about digging, disturbing, or damaging plants. I think it's more a case of "does anyone care". I think the easiest way to find out would have been to stay and talk to the cops.

Good post.....:yes:

Just check with your County Assessor's office, they know everything about all the property in a particular county. NO NEED to tell them you plan on detecting, just ask who owns the boulevard or curb strip, that's all.

When detecting a big city, I check online to find and read ordinances, if nothing then you are good to go. I have also checked with the City Attorney's office as they know the law. Sometimes I will also check with the local Police. That might really be important in a small town where you may be a stranger.

In some states, the Property Owner does own the land to the center of the street. Where I detect, the city/town owns the curb strip. Like others have said, be courteous, do a great job and you won't end up damaging or defacing city property.

I was out hunting in a section of town that was torn down to make way for a factory. All that is left is the streets and sidewalks. I have been detecting these for about 2 weeks and doing really well. Tonite the security guards showed up being a real butt head. I tried to explain to him about the right of way and the light poles on the curb strips and the stop signs. He would not have any of it. So I left as he was calling the cops. He said they already trespassed 9 other guys doing this already.

I'm in Clinton Iowa

I was in Clinton just last week, I'm over in Dixon. Are you talking the area down by the dog food plant?

Well it looks like mother nature has put an end to it for me for the year. 16"+ snow. So I will just have to try to do some research by the looks of it. One of the service stations I hang out at, one of the cities judges gets his car worked on their. I BS with him all the time. I may hit him up with a what if ??? and see what he says. I have asked him about a bunch of things in the past and he has never steered me wrong.

But for now, I am stuck indoors

Yep, we got hammered over here too. Spent most of the day clearing the drive and sidewalks. Bent a blade on my snowblower.

I was in Clinton just last week, I'm over in Dixon. Are you talking the area down by the dog food plant?
No, South Clinton under the train tracks. Where they tore down all the houses. Where I grew up. By HyVee under the viaduct.

I searched though the city ordinances and there is nothing in there about the strips.Only thing about sidewalks is you have to maintain them. Nothing about the grass.

Back
Top Bottom