Garrett Pro-Pointer vs. Detectorpro Pistol Probe

So which would most prefer? A hand held type or the sunray type that is attached to the detector?
Which is more user friendly?

I really like the inline probes and used the DX-1 on my MXT for a few years. It does add a little weight but for the most part is really insignificant for me. However, my wife did complain that after a few hours the extra weight was a noticeable to her.

What I like about the hand-held units is the freedom of operations and not being attached to a detector. And with hand-held probes there is no need worry about the selective placement of you detector while your eyeballing a target after pinpointing with your detector and laying it down to dig your hole. And if you have more them one detector you don’t have to worry about remounting from one detector to another or the added expense of buying a probe for each detector you own.

I like being able to pinpoint with my detector and then placing the tip of my hand-held pinpoint on the target area as I’m setting my detector down. It allows me to keep the exact spot of my target and if the target is shallow, I can pinpoint the exact location of my target and can get it out with minimal digging, some time no digging.

I’m myself really had no problem with the DX-1, like its performance. I decided to go back to a hand-held probe for the freedom of a hand-held some of the issue I touched on above, not because of performance.

The DX-1 will outperform many hand-held probes. However, when comparing the top of the line hand-held probes with the DX-1, it all comes down to personal preference.

“Which is more user friendly?” - That would depend on what you personal view of “User Friendly.” For me it’s the freedom of the hand-held units. Others may view the convenience of inline probes as more user friendly.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

Great report Silverhawk. I have the Detectorpro and the DX-1, also a couple of Bullseye probes. I use mainly the DX-1.... but the pistol probe has it's uses also. RickO

I Got To Play With My New Vibra Probe 580 Today!

I received my new Vibra Probe 580 Pinpointer on Friday night and I got to play with my new toy on Saturday doing some coin & jewelry hunting. And I’ll get to use it some more today for some relic hunting.

It’s a great probe and I’m really happy with my decision to go with this unit rather than the other hand-held units or another DX-1.

I love the freedom of the hand-held unit, it’s great not being tied to just one detector any more as I was with my DX-1! ... ;)

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

PS.

I gotta run, the sun is coming up! We creatures of the night don't like the sunlight!!! ... :shock:

Good night ... ;)

RIP looks like a stand up dude. So based on his posts I bought the 580. I'll let you all know in a week what I think. If the Detector Pro had vibration I probably would have went with it. If the 580 doesn't perform better than the Bullseye II it will be off to Ebay.

RIP looks like a stand up dude. So based on his posts I bought the 580. I'll let you all know in a week what I think. If the Detector Pro had vibration I probably would have went with it. If the 580 doesn't perform better than the Bullseye II it will be off to Ebay.

RIP is a stand up guy, and I think you going to really like your new Vibra Probe 580. It has some really key advantages over your Bullseye, the Pistol Probe and other hand-held as well as the DX-1.

It’s a pulse induction detector/pinpointer meaning it will perform much better than all frequency based pinpointers in difficult highly mineralized ground, can be used in the surf or wet saltwater sand and is completely waterproof.

The Pistol Probe is not waterproof and the gain really needs to be set very low for it to perform correctly during most tasks. We found that when we set the Pistol Probe to detect objects at greater then two inches in dept; it had a great tendency to see past the intended target, often locking onto other objects and even iron in the ground making it very difficult at time to lock onto the intended target.

The Vibra Probe will be able to detect small coins at 2 to 3 inches depending on ground conditions and ground moisture. Unlike the Bullseye, the Vibra Probe 580 is waterproof, it will not be effected (lose depth) because of ground mineralization, salt, black sand, etc.

And with it textured heavy duty rubber handle, the Vibra Probe is really comfortable to hold and a real pleasure to use in the field, whether your hands are warm and dry, cold & wet or hot & sweaty. And the Vibra-Probe 580 is also a very accurate and precise pinpointer with its tip-only detection.

Best of luck with it ... ;)

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

I think you will like it........now I'll sit down.;)

WARNING! - Regarding PI PinPointers

WARNING!

This morning I received two phone calls and just answered some e-mail messages regarding the Vibra Probe 580 and Air-testing.

Regarding this matter I thought I better post something here in regards to the Vibra Probe 580 and Detectorpro Pistol Probe and testing their performance.

Do “NOT” rely on the results of an Air-test to judge the performance of a Vibra Probe 580 as you would do with frequency based pinpointers such as the White's Bullseye II, Garrett ProPointer, Automax Precision V4, Treasuremate, Bounty Hunter Pin Pointer or inline probes such as the DX-1.

Pulse Induction (PI) Pinpointers such as the Vibra Probe 580 or the Detectorpro Pistol Probe work very differently.

A Pulse Induction (PI) detector/pinpointer has a single antenna that both transmits and receives. The PI pinpointer transmits an electromagnetic field into the matrix around the coil. The matrix in the ground causes eddy currents on both mineralization and metal targets encountered. The transmitter antenna then deactivates itself and waits. After a specified time the circuits activate, and the antenna becomes the receiver for any residual eddy currents.

The better an item conducts electricity, the longer it will hold the eddy currents, and therefore the more easily it can be picked up by the receiver antenna. Because of the characteristics of the Pulse Induction System, PI pinpointers actually get better depth in the ground then in an air test. And the more moisture (water is a conductor) in the ground, the better depth you’ll get. This is one reason why PI detectors greatly outperform frequency based detectors on the wet sand at the beach (Salt or Fresh Water).

Example:

Air testing a “Silver Quarter” with the Vibra Probe 580 you will get about the same depth as you would get using the very best frequency based hand-held pinpointers, about 2 inches. However, you will be able to detect that same “Silver Quarter” at 5 inches and a “Silver Dime" at over 3 inches in moderately moist soil.

The better the soil and its moister content, the better the conduction and detection depth you'll get from your Vibra Probe 580. Even in the driest or worse soils conditions the Vibra Probe 580 will at the very least equal the performance of the best Frequency Based Held-held Pinpointers.

I would like to apologize for not touching on this matter in my field test report. I have a habit of overlooking the fact that there are many who do not understand the working characteristics of the machines they us. This was a dumb oversight on my part and a point I should have explained. I should have realized the first thing someone does when getting their new pinpointer is to conduct an air-test to judge it performance or compare it to others. As did some new Vibra Probe 580 owners have just done. Boy did I hear some angry words ... :(

After explaining how PI Pinpointers works and then them testing it on a coin in the ground, they are now Proud & Happy new owners of the Vibra Probe 580 PI Pinpointer. And because they are happy, I'm now happy … :yes:

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

Last edited:
Thanks Silver Hawk I wondered about that myself. When I first got mine I air tested it and thought what the heck is this. But when I took it hunting, well thats when I knew it was the one for me.

Glad I read your post. I'm expecting the 580 in the mail tomorrow. I was thinking of air testing it right away. I am so glad you saved me from disappointment. I'll take it hunting for the real test.

Thanks Silver Hawk I wondered about that myself. When I first got mine I air tested it and thought what the heck is this. But when I took it hunting, well thats when I knew it was the one for me.

RIP,

Your welcome and this is something I should have explained in my Summery Report I posted here. I have no idea why I didn’t … :?: My bad … :no:

I thought I better explain as soon as possible. A few people bought these pinpointers and did the air-test, got disappointed and in no time at all there was an angry mob coming up the street with torches and pit forks! ... :shock:

One of the guys really got on my last nerve. The next time we head up into the mountains, I'll leave him way back in them woods ... :mad:

I'll leave his rings on and some coins in his pockets. Then in about 3 years have a contest to see who can find him with their metal detector ... :lol:

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

Glad I read your post. I'm expecting the 580 in the mail tomorrow. I was thinking of air testing it right away. I am so glad you saved me from disappointment. I'll take it hunting for the real test.

My pleasure goodmore. ... ;)

I think you'll be very happy with the Vibra Probe 580. I wish you the best of luck in your hunting and hope the new pinpointer proves it's worth to you.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

Well, did you have a chance to properly take your new pinpointer out for it's shake-down in the field yet? If so, how did you make out and what did you think of the Vibra-Probe 580?

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

Pistol Probe arrived

My Pistol Probe came today. I do ok on the beach, but have been having bad luck pinpointing and usually just dig caps and garbage. On grass, I never find anything, I had actually quit detecting last year until we went to Florida recently where I figured I could learn better in the sand.

Went out about 30 minutes really quick to a soccer field. Walked the line on each side. With 1 minute, I got my first ding, pinpointed with the Pistol Probe and pulled out a coin. I was so excited since my luck had been so bad that I cut myself digging the next plug I was in such a hurry to dig another. From there on with only one quick pass to both sides of the soccer field on all metal searching with my Ace 250, I found 2 quarters, a dime and 3 pennies as well as 3 junk targets.

Two stories on how this this helped me, I am digging small, 3-4 inch plugs:

One hole I dug, nothing showed up. I was determined to dig because the Pistol Probe said it was there. I needed to know. I was about 8-10 inches down and found a small piece of of can. Sure, it was nothing, but I knew dead on that something was there, and where it was. When your down 8 inches with a 3-4 inch plug, there is not much wiggle room.

Second example, I dug a few inches and found nothing. I had scraped the sod early on knowing it was a shallow target. In a last attempt I scanned the sod again and it beeped. I then realized this coin must have been barely in the dirt, flipped over to the grass side of the sod and removed the penny. I mean, I just knew exactly where it was thanks to the Pistol Probe detection.

I now realize I have literally flipped and tossed back targets as well as pinpointing poorly all this time. Although 3 targets were junk, every hole I dug had something for me. It used to be the other way around. If I had bought this sooner, I bet I would have more find stories :) I would bet you that someday I will no longer need it as I realize better where the target is when the Ace 250 finds it and Pistol Probe pinpoints it. Downside is the price of many of these seem ridiculous, but I have to admit, I am born again in metal detecting! Too bad it just started raining :(

Attachments

• coins.jpg
    coins.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 970
Went back briefly to the soccer field up the road, followed the path from a couple nights ago, found all 6 plugs I dug and missed and came up with 4 more coins (too dirty to read yet) and 2 pieces of junk I previously missed. Impressive!

I just bought the pistol probe, this thing is extremely powerful. It will pick up coins at 7 plus inches in the ground. It sounds as you point at the coin as opposed to sounding in proximity of metal. You can pinpoint coins on top of the ground from 6 inches away, this is an awesome tool to have.

I just bought the pistol probe, this thing is extremely powerful. It will pick up coins at 7 plus inches in the ground. It sounds as you point at the coin as opposed to sounding in proximity of metal. You can pinpoint coins on top of the ground from 6 inches away, this is an awesome tool to have.

leemardo,

It is a very powerful probe. I found it to be the most powerful probe I've ever used. In fact for most general pinpointing task you’ll need to reduce the gain a bit. When running the gain too high this probe is too powerful for most pinpointing needs, actually looking past the intended target and signaling unintended targets in the same area or below the intended target.

I found on a number of targets, the probe looked past my target and was signaling on deep iron at 9 and 10 inches while the coin was on the side wall of the hold at just 4 inches in depth. And because the probe was signaling on deep iron or junk the probe was not pinpointing the coin.

Also we found that after recovering a coin the probe would often signal another target in the same hole, only to turn out to be Iron-rich rocks, deposited iron or near-by junk targets.

I found that adjusting the pistol probe to signal a quarter at 2 to 3 inches with an air-test gave the best performance with this probe. Give it a try and experiment a bit to see what works best for you.

You can pinpoint coins on top of the ground from 6 inches away, this is an awesome tool to have.

Keep in mind if you try to pinpoint from a few inches above the soil, you pistol probe will detect any metal object in ground within the general area causing it to signaling on targets other then the intended target. Not a very good way to pinpoint.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

I own a Garrett Pro-pointer but just purchased a Vibra-Probe 580. The accuracy{tip-only} and the -waterproof- features are my main deciding factors..The depth will be a benefit,!?,but not the most important feature to me....Thanks for the thread here with the Tests SilverHawk...Great info!:cool:

It really makes me wonder...

I've owned about every brand of Pinpointer and I find your reviews bias. I've had Whites BullsEyes (both types) and they fall short for there price.
I've owned every pinpointer under $100 and all are cheaply made and need more "Tweaking" to get 2" on a quarter. That being said after doing some EZ and CHEAP mods the Cen - Tec wins for bang for the buck. I base this on owning two and moding both and testing them against ALL the under $100 pinpointers available. And I do mean ALL.
The Cen- Tec without mods costs $15.00 at Harbor Freight. With $9 and one hour the Cen-Tec beat ALL the others...even when "Tweaked". And at a total of $25 (tax included) the EZ moded Cen-Tec wins for preformance and total cost. Sure it's made in China but so are the rest..or China parts assembled in Mexico. I was suprised to see that the new Bullseye was circuts were "glued in" no screwed...suprisingly CHEAPLY made for a Whites product.
In the over $100 range I have tried 2 Vibraprobes and each one was well made and waterproof but lacked in any range weither it was air tests or real field tests.
I've had 2 Detector Pro Pistol Probes and there fine and have nice range BUT for $189 they damn well better be. Alot of people can't afford a pinpointer that costs as much as a standard detector.
I've had a TreasureMate and it was awesome and I would by another before a DP Pistol Probe.
Now I wait for a Garrett Probe and from what I have seen since it came out and the new tuning method I expect that to be as good or better that the DP but it'll be hard pressed to beat the TreasureMate.
In conclusion, if you moneys tight and you have a extra hour to do some EZ mods and I mean so EZ even a CAVEMAN can do it the HP Cen-Tec wins hands down at under $25! And REMEMBER there not made to pry or be a trowel. Use it with that in mind and you will be very pleased and have enough change to buy a burger & fries at Mickey D's!
But if your inthe market for a "Rolls Royce" then I think TreasureMate takes first place follow closely by the DP Pistol Probe and trailing way behind is the Vibra Probe. Why do you think so many are sold on Feebay and all the Forums?
This is only based on my tests and opinion and likes Butts we all ahve one.
And this comparision is subject to change after I test the Garrett.
And before you ask.."No I don't have all of these probes sitting around anymore to compare againts but I still have three and have kept records on the others that are now gone to new owners.
I hope these comparisions will help anyone who needs another opinion. I'll try them all as they come out and weither or not the other comparisions are Bias or not isn't important as preformance based evaluations based on cost.
e'nuff about that!
Woodstock

Back
Top Bottom