$8 shovel

maddy

I narrowed up, from 6" to 4.75", and serrated the edge of a HF shovel. I think it'll work good for me.

Attachments

• WIN_20150226_182504.jpg
    WIN_20150226_182504.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 340
  • WIN_20150226_182519.jpg
    WIN_20150226_182519.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 320
Maddy may I please offer some advice. I design, produce and sell metal detecting tools for a living. I applaud you for making your own that's how I got started. My advice is this..plz run your hand down the "serrated" side and see that it doesn't grab your skin so it wont grab/cut dirt roots etc. A chainsaw has an opening before each cutting tooth allowing material to be cut by the tooth. If you were to cut an angled piece out in front of the tooth it would help..also after doing that, sharpen the tooth.

For those in my club who cant afford higher end shovels I grab a D handle shovel from WalMart and make 1" x 1" teeth with a .5" opening on front of each tooth. Even though they aren't the badger blade shovels I sell they do the job very well. I hope what I've written is of help to you and if you would like to see the design im referring to just PM me and I will send you pictures or a link to my site so you can get a good idea.

Maddy may I please offer some advice. I design, produce and sell metal detecting tools for a living. I applaud you for making your own that's how I got started. My advice is this..plz run your hand down the "serrated" side and see that it doesn't grab your skin so it wont grab/cut dirt roots etc. A chainsaw has an opening before each cutting tooth allowing material to be cut by the tooth. If you were to cut an angled piece out in front of the tooth it would help..also after doing that, sharpen the tooth.

For those in my club who cant afford higher end shovels I grab a D handle shovel from WalMart and make 1" x 1" teeth with a .5" opening on front of each tooth. Even though they aren't the badger blade shovels I sell they do the job very well. I hope what I've written is of help to you and if you would like to see the design im referring to just PM me and I will send you pictures or a link to my site so you can get a good idea.

I wanna see! :yes:

Thanks for the input BZ. If I run my hand down the edge I'll need crazy glue as the edge is sharp. I do plan to open the slots up, maybe every other one, to be able to get more bite.

Glad you are Maddy. The only thing I didn't like about the metal of some was they wouldn't hold an edge long. Think about it, we are digging in some rough stuff and the harder metal you would think holds up but it actually is sometimes more brittle and chips. I went with s certain gauge stainless steel which has strength and durability and my first SS shovel I've now had for 3+ years and I've yet to re-sharpen it. I'd like to know how many holes I've dug with it.

That should be a post..how many holes do you think you've dug?

Newbie question here...is this type of shovel used along with the smaller hand held, garden type spade or is this shovel used instead of the small spade?

Is that the Mini Shovel from Harbor Freight? I bought 2 of them and love them. It will handle dirt, sand, grass, roots, gravel and mud with ease. 27" long it's a good length but still lightweight. I dig beautiful plugs with it but it can pry a chunk of metal out of the ground without breaking.

Newbie question here...is this type of shovel used along with the smaller hand held, garden type spade or is this shovel used instead of the small spade?

I'll use a small spade in lawns, even with this narrower blade I wouldn't want people to see me carrying it in a park.. The shovel is for fields and forests.

Is that the Mini Shovel from Harbor Freight? I bought 2 of them and love them. It will handle dirt, sand, grass, roots, gravel and mud with ease. 27" long it's a good length but still lightweight. I dig beautiful plugs with it but it can pry a chunk of metal out of the ground without breaking.

Yep, same shovel. I'm going for smaller plugs and just wanted to do it. I was happy with it as it was.

I ALWAYS use the Mini Shovel. Not only is it a great digger but it helps my tired old body down to the ground a bit easier. It also helps me clean up better too.

Nobody has challenged me over it. I've carried and used it in front of cops and security officers countless times. They see I'm very careful digging and more so in filling and setting things right. I think if you act like its no big thing they won't either.

Back
Top Bottom