• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Double "D" Coil

bobm31

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a double "D" coil? Will it work with an Ace 250? :grin:

Bob... this is a post from the old forum I made:

--:It is an awesome coil, indeed... but it does take a bit of getting used to... considering how the machine is pre-programmed with it's "default" coil (the 9.5). Specifically the depth read-out, which is, to me, the most important thing we need to know. My little bit of experience with it says that a shallow target is deep.
I have it, but I haven't used it much myself. I guess I'm simply holdin' my breath for better programs that run with it... or better places to use it to it's fullest ability.
(Jus' my opinion, for sure. ):--

... and it is noticably heavier than the stock coil which made me take more frequent swinging breaks.
Hope this helps.

Krom

I used to have one Bob, but I didn't like the weight or the way it PPed so I sold it.. I use my stock coil and its fine... Someday if I ever dirt dig again ;) I will buy a 5.3 coil for trashy old spots.

Generally the DD coil will penetrate deeper and seperate targets better. Pinpointing is a problem as the magnetic field radiates straight up and down the length of the ceter of the coil. It does not pinpoint center like a concentric coil does. There are no DD coils available for the Ace from Garrett.

They say use it in highly mineralized soil. But how do you know when your soil is highly mineralized :?:

mega said:
.... But how do you know when your soil is highly mineralized :?:

I'm not sure about other detector types, but with the DFX there's a brief procedure that can be used to determine the relative strength of the ground's mineralization.

Angel

Hi Mega
As Angellionel says the DFX plus many of Whites other flagship machines will read the ground phase. Its not exactly true ground mineralisation but near enough.
With a machine with a ground balance knob you can mark a spot on the control box where its set to on low mineralisation ground (either because someone with a Whites has told you so or it just seems smooth to detect with good depth).
Then in the future when you ground balance you see where the mark on the knob ends up in comparison to the mark you made on the control box when you are able to raise and drop the coil without any or with little volume change.
With a switch on and go machine it will let you know when you have bad mineralisation as the machine will sound off really loud as the coil nears the ground. Only choice then is to reduce sensitivity (if you have a sensitivity control) or keep the coil a little higher than normal and concentrate on keeping it level at all times...or try a smaller coil or double D if you have one.

Back
Top Bottom