Fisher F2 EXTENSIVE ''TID'' chart and depth test

HullGuitars

Forum Supporter
Decide to test the f2 and get to know it a bit better. DONT GET ME WRONG..... I LOVE MY CTX3030's... but theres just something about this f2 with the sniper coil and cant put it down!!
The test was done with iron and foil descriminated, and the sensitivity baked off one notch from the top.
The TID number is very stable until you get to 75% of the max then it goes wacky on some targets. I will gladly test anything else you guys are curious about.
Here you go

COMMON JUNK
Beaver Pull Tab-39--8inches
Normal pull tab-42--7inches
Coke screw cap-54--8.5inches

CLAD
Quarter-82--7inches
Dime-71--6inches
Copper penny-73--6.5inches
Zinc penny-62--7inches
Nickel-34--6.5inches

Indian Head penny-61--6.5inches

SILVER
Peace dollar-96--7inches
Walking half dollar-89--7inches
Washington quarter-86--6.5inches
Rosie & Murc dimes-76--6inches
Worn Barber dime-68--6inches
Worn Seated dime-68--6inches
Half dime-62--5.75inches
SILVER war nickel-34--6.5inches

GOLD
10k 1.6gram yellow gold ring-34--6inches
10k 5.7gram yellow gold ring-38--6inches
10k 7.6gram yellow gold pin-28--6inches

14k 1.6 gram yellow gold ring-29--5inches
14k 5.2 gram yellow gold ring-29--5.5inches
14k 5.1 gram WHITE gold ring-29--6.5inches

18k 2.8 gram yellow gold ring-39--6inches

Last edited:
Interesting numbers, but from using a meter in the past I recall that a nickel reads same as gold, and many items are to close to call. I would also think the ground composition will varie the numbers. I don't know if those numbers will give us an advantage since many metals have the same" conductivity"
which still
gives us guesswork what the targets are. Usually pulltabs, silver and copper are very reliable to predict the rest is pretty well a guess. Sounds as you know also are great indicaters of possible targets, many hunters just go by sound especially on Minelabs.

Great chart though and liked looking at the numbers.

hard work

sounds like you put a lot of effort into that. Thank You. I appreciate it. I'm an old guy who bought an f 2 to simply learn the new type of detectors. I have three tesoros that all perform well but I'm enjoying the f 2 . Thanks for posting.

I don't really know how advanced a metal detector can be now or in the futhure, as many metals have
the same" conductivity" not sure how a display number will separate most targets?
Does not seem possible ? though we have seen high end electronics that can
id metals but that has not been practical on detectors so far.

But I do admit the numbers are an excellent general tool in target recovery.

Thank you for the chart. So the f2 being a lower price model, how much deeper do you think your minelabs would go? And no, I am not trying to start a detector depth war!

Thanks for this info!
My son (10 yrs. old) just took his new F2 out for the first time yesterday. I'm having him dig everything for the time being to help him hone his pinpointing skills, but these statistics will be a great help once he gains some experience.

I remember back in the day, I found a huge 14 K wedding band with a Compadre, that paid for my Fisher F2 package. :lol:

Good chart!

Thank you for the chart. So the f2 being a lower price model, how much deeper do you think your minelabs would go? And no, I am not trying to start a detector depth war!

I only own a Minelab at present all I can generalize is it does go slightly deeper but every
detector has their pro's and con's, anyone who owns a Sov knows
they are mainly good for silver coins...and hardly any good at clad coins but I

may have a biased opinion.

I will be testing both ctx machines tonight. Both with the sniper coil on the coin setting. I will use the same targets and post the chart. It is deeper with an air test and in the ground.... but where the ctx really shines is in trashy/iron areas. its hard to beat the target separation. The fisher f2 comes closer than any other machine I have tried in target separation. $200 that's amazing

Back
Top Bottom