Different Detectors for different terrains?

crappyone

Hello. We are very new to Metal Detecting and have actually never done it.
We are moving to Idaho (around Boise) and are looking for something to help get us all outside. This seems like a fun hobby to get outside and enjoy the outdoors while treasure hunting and getting a thrill of finding items.
Idaho is considered a high desert with mountains just to our north.
So would we need a certain type of Detector for that terrain?
I've been looking at the Fisher F2, seems like it gets positive reviews and seems like a good starter Detector for a decent price. Would that detector work well in that sort of terrain?

Also do any of the sponsors do mix match combo's or give discounts if you don't want all the extras that come with them, or any sort of deals to forum members?

We have 3 kids and we're hoping something like this will get them away from the video games and into the great outdoors. I'm sure once one of them brings home something he found the others will follow suit and want to check it out.

Also any tips or advice would be appreciated. Would like to order before we move, which is in a month.

Thank you

Coil size is a big factor. Smaller is easier to use around rocks, bushes, esp if you are looking for gold. It really depends on the type of hunting you will be doing the most....

Dusty

You might need a detector with manual ground balance. The fisher f4 has it. Try sendind BigBoys hobbies a PM he is a sponsor on here and will give you a discount.

There's no way I could afford a F4. F2 is more my price, but would like to get a bundle with the 2 extra coils, but I don't want all the other extras, well maybe a bag.
So I was hoping members get a discount and you could adjust your bundle & price.
We'll be hunting for whatever the detector picks up, probably coins, jewelery and whatnot. Not sure what we'll be hunting since we're new to this and I have no idea.

Welcome to the forum, you can get agreat detector without spending tons of money, check out the Tesoro Compadre and the Tesoro Silver µMax. Two very good detectors that can do it and do it better than most costing lots more.

http://metaldetectorreviews.net/detectors/6-1-silverumax.html Tesoro Silver µMax 5 out of 5 rating (prefect score)

http://metaldetectorreviews.net/detectors/31-1-tesorocompadre.html Tesoro Compadre 5 out of 5 perfect score

http://metaldetectorreviews.net/detectors/105-1-garrettace250.html Garrett Ace 250 4.2 score

Fisher F2 http://metaldetectorreviews.net/detectors/201-1-fisherf2.html (4.0 score)

If you anticipate buying detectors for both of you and several kids too, then you should get a variety...a couple you consider in your upper price range, and for the kids each a good starter...I recommend Bounty Hunter, at least the Tracker IV, which is what I run as my regular machine. For kids, finding coins is the biggest thrill. For adults, if you are in the right area, then finding gold is the big thing! Different strokes for different folks tho.

If the kids do a good job learning their machines and don't lose interest, then in a few years, you can pass them your better machines and get yourself some even better ones!

Just my two cents!

There's no way I could afford a F4. F2 is more my price, but would like to get a bundle with the 2 extra coils, but I don't want all the other extras, well maybe a bag.
So I was hoping members get a discount and you could adjust your bundle & price.
We'll be hunting for whatever the detector picks up, probably coins, jewelery and whatnot. Not sure what we'll be hunting since we're new to this and I have no idea.

Ther is a bundle package for the fisher f2 that comes with two extra coils, Free pinpointer and a free fisher bag.

I have about $250 (MAX) I can spend and that's it. I can't spend any more, but I can definitely spend less. :grin: And I mean I can't even go $10 more.

Was just looking at the F2 since you could get the extra coils bundle, but I can't do the $275. I know there's the 1 extra coil bundle for $215, but no bag comes with.
I wrote one of the sponsors, but he didn't give me a deal at all really.

Maybe I'll just look at yard sales or ebay or craiglist or something for a used one.
Thank you all for the advice and help.

Or maybe I'll just get a compadre and keep it basic and simple at first. I was looking at those, but saw for only about $40 more I could get the F2.
I also don't mind buying used or refurbished. Actually most of my electronics I do buy are refurbished and I've never had an issue with anything.

Last edited:
I have about $250 (MAX) I can spend and that's it. I can't spend any more, but I can definitely spend less. :grin: And I mean I can't even go $10 more.

Was just looking at the F2 since you could get the extra coils bundle, but I can't do the $275. I know there's the 1 extra coil bundle for $215, but no bag comes with.
I wrote one of the sponsors, but he didn't give me a deal at all really.

Maybe I'll just look at yard sales or ebay or craiglist or something for a used one.
Thank you all for the advice and help.

Or maybe I'll just get a compadre and keep it basic and simple at first. I was looking at those, but saw for only about $40 more I could get the F2.
I also don't mind buying used or refurbished. Actually most of my electronics I do buy are refurbished and I've never had an issue with anything.

Go with the compadre, its higher frequency will hit on small gold in tot lots and its got a lifetime warranty.

Yeah I'm thinking I might just do that.
Those seem to get good reviews for the price.
Seems Cheap, Simple and effective. Works for me.
Now if I could only find a good one used or refurbished.

Back
Top Bottom