Should I liquidate/trade my detectors to buy my dream detector?

PokerShark

I have been talking to my friends privately here and I am getting good advice but conflicting advice. Here is the situation:

I got back in the detecting hobby a couple months back, but I have had a prospecting detector for the last 5 years - an original Fisher Gold Bug which aggressively finds anything metal and I swear would target a bird flying over with a tag on it's leg. That thing is sensitive!!

To get back into general purpose detecting I bought a used Garrett GTI 2500 and I truly love it. It does a good job, but I still want to do more. I am honestly a hopeless techie and I crave more and more tech.

I got a good deal on a used Whites XLT thinking I would have a second detector to use when my wife or older kids wanted to go out with me. And I admit the XLT kicked my butt - at first, but we have declared a truce and I am getting results with it as well. Turns out my wife and kids would rather go out an let me operate the only machine and they help dig. Not a bad deal really. :lol:

But I find myself craving a Whites V3i and the boss (my wife) has said no more detector purchasing because I spent my budget. The V3i is the detector I wanted from the start until I found the deal on the GTI 2500 that was too good to pass up. So I am thinking about selling or trading off all my detectors for a Whites V3i. My question is; should I go ahead and do this, or will I just be getting something that I already have between the 3 detectors??? :?:

Thanks
The Shark

Well, I found that my wife now Xwife really could not justify my purchase of the V3, then again my Excal. After I put a few rings on her hand and my finds started paying for my detectors she said no more.

My first V3 small park conected to my inlaws land, I mean small. I did pull a french and indian war head insig with my DFX and that was it. Considering my inlaws and I never really hit it off I spent a lot of time in this park.

My V3 pulled a large cent, a standing liberty, and a gold ring in the very same park.. I hit a lot of good things with my V3 and will again someday up grade. I had just got the V3 and was fooling around knowone was happy with the purchase and in 10 min three great finds, they kind of shut up after that......

Sounds like you have most of your options covered, kinda like me. I'm not planning on any more purchases until some tech breakthrough comes along that changes the playing field......

Dusty

Do It man I am telling you, you will never look back my buddy has the Garrett 2500 and is selling it to get the V3i. Not to knock his detector because in it's own right it is great but it doesn't do near as well as my V3i

I am in the same boat..have 5 detectors and am thinking about selling a few..I have an M6, Ace 250, an XLT, a Wislon Coin select, and a Whites PI...am thinking I will sell the Ace, and the M6 and start to save..I will always want to keep my XLT and my water PI...and also the Wilson..that one is kinda old...yes I am in the same boat...Buster......:D

If you can get away with it, financially and wife wise, go for it! You'll just be thinking about it every time you go out otherwise....

Back
Top Bottom