First Detector: Garrett Ace 350 or Tesoro Silver Umax?

Glimflashy

I have quotes from two different sponsors here for these two detectors at the same price. Which would you suggest and why?
Seems like every time my mind is made up something else comes along that seems attractive:?:

Both good, capable machines...but different.

If you want a screen, go with the Ace.
If you want to go the audio only route, the Silver is the one.

I recommend the Silver, if you learn to hunt by sound, that would be a great and long lasting base for anything you would want to move to in the future.
The screen is easier if you're new, but don't rely on it 100%...your brain and ears have greater processing power than most electronics.

The bigger DD coil is a plus on the 350, but a silver works extremely well with a sniper coil for tot lots, or the clean sweep coil for large areas.
Plenty of other coils available....for both.

If you are into warranties, the Silver wins.

I have a Vaquero, and a F2 for fun, but I mostly listen to tones on both and the screen is there on the F2, but I think I would know a good signal when I hear one on almost any detector.
For me, it's more enjoyable that way.

HH

i was dead set on an Ace 250 to start off with,,,now as getting older and wiser has taught me I held off and read more about other brands and how people liked them. the Tesoro crowd was very down to earth and echoed the same positive points about their detectors. For reasons I will not go into here,,, I got less than desirable feelings about Garret products. I can't explain it,,, I just have no interest in them. I went with the Silver and am VERY happy about it. Knowing it will work for me for a lifetime and the fact that is does a great job, with lots of choices for coils ( I have a 5.75, 10x12 and CSC). I will say I have little to no Knowledge of the 350 and think the AT pro is pretty kewl, but I would not buy one,,,, I feel Garret is the Walmart of MD and Tesoro is more of a Calvin Klien (sp) JMHO have fun

I own a Silver U/max,I am still new to the hobby and still learning the machine,however in researching all the reviews and getting input from this board,not to mention the warranty....I am very satisfied with my purchase...very easy to use also. H.H.-d.d. aka-Nick

I have had a Silver Sabre uMax since they came out. Later I got a Silver uMax as a backup and it worked better than the Sabre. Then I picked up an Ace along the way somewhere. Don't have the Ace any longer but still have the Silvers... Often you spend more time trying to ID with the display than it takes to dig and also pass up many good things because of trusting a display. Even with the best TID machines, most of the experts say to not rely on the display and to go by sound. Lots of people start with Tesoro's and "upgrade" sometime to a TID machine with more features. Usually after many years of hunting they end up full circle back with a Tesoro. It is a tough decision. But fun. :D

The Ace is ok as long as you can tolerate the belltone sounds. The Silver µMax is great no matter how ya slice it :yes:.

Well, the choice has been made! I just got off the phone with Rich at Colonial Metal Detectors. Ordered the Tesoro Silver Umax. It should be here Tuesday, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! I feel like Christmas in May!
Thanks for the comments, everyone!

yo will have a blast with that machine,,, now just go learn how to use it and dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig,,, did I say dig?

Yup, Tesoro has a great line of machines. The tone method is the best way to learn all the secrets of IDing your finds......

Dusty

and use the Tesoro shake to help ID targets,,,, it works
It's called the twitch my man not the shake ;), the Ace 250 uses the shake... I mean after you hear the belltone on the Ace you want to shake the **** out of it :lol::lol::lol:. By the way Merry Christmas Glimflashy you are going to enjoy the Silver µMax, its a great little detector :yes:.

help

I have found a 3D Electronics model 3D-501 metal detector, manufactured by 3D Electronics Inc. Corvallis, Oregon. Has anyone ever used one of these ? Viewed one being used ? Purchased one / sold one any info would be appreciated Gerald

Great machine! If you want to dig the deep stuff, get some GOOD headphones and listen for those faint signals. I suggest the Killer B's WASP headphones. They're pricey but MAN are they worth every penny

I have found a 3D Electronics model 3D-501 metal detector, manufactured by 3D Electronics Inc. Corvallis, Oregon. Has anyone ever used one of these ? Viewed one being used ? Purchased one / sold one any info would be appreciated Gerald

It might be a 2 box machine used for deep targets not coins/jewelry. But I think if I remember correctly 3d electronics is old and been out of business for some time.

Contact a forum supporter for help. Dont buy that thing.

Both good, capable machines...but different.

If you want a screen, go with the Ace.
If you want to go the audio only route, the Silver is the one.

I recommend the Silver, if you learn to hunt by sound, that would be a great and long lasting base for anything you would want to move to in the future.
The screen is easier if you're new, but don't rely on it 100%...your brain and ears have greater processing power than most electronics.

The bigger DD coil is a plus on the 350, but a silver works extremely well with a sniper coil for tot lots, or the clean sweep coil for large areas.
Plenty of other coils available....for both.

If you are into warranties, the Silver wins.

HH

What he said!

Well, the choice has been made! I just got off the phone with Rich at Colonial Metal Detectors. Ordered the Tesoro Silver Umax. It should be here Tuesday, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! I feel like Christmas in May!
Thanks for the comments, everyone!
Congrats!!! You picked a great machine.

Happy Hunting!!!

I'm a newcomer...what is the Tesoro shake???? d.d.

if you get a solid hit on a target take the coil and "shake it" back and forth as fast as you can in short strokes, left to right right to left over the target ,,,,if the tone repeats itself EVERY TIME faithfully DIG!!!!! if it's not 100% then it's usually iron/ foil bottle top,,, try it you will see what I mean the signal WILL NOT break up on a good target, the Tesoro is THAT fast HH

that Tesoro is made on the reservation isn't Cheif
jackchief3.jpg

maybe get one here http://www.indiannationsdetectors.com/

Back
Top Bottom