• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Metal Detecting Beaches at Night

PastHunter

Hello fellow buried metal enthusiasts :grin:, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or interesting experiences/advice at beach hunting during the dark hours. I live in Southern California where the beaches aren't too far, and was recently inspired by Predecimal's
http://metaldetectingchallenge.blogspot.com/ to take better advantage of the opportunities near me.

Here's the general thought process...

PROS:

Traffic absolutely sucks my car of gas navigating to and from the beaches during the daytime (and i'm scraping by looking for a new job) , but at night i could get there in a quarter of the time, and save huge on gas.

No people.

CONS:

Cops.
There are signs on alot of the beaches near me with posted hours. Some are well regulated and gated, charge entry fees, etc. Instead of those, i'd go for the smaller, neighborhood beaches, or public beaches well accessible by discreet foot travel. I have arrived at some of these well before posted opening time, and have never been bothered. Although, I imagine if any authority ever showed up in the pre-dawn hours I normally would hunt they wouldn't give me too hard a time... but just hunting straight into the night?

Has anyone ever had any problems hunting the beach between 9pm-4am?
How many have tried?

Thanks Everyone!

Beaches are generally closed at night due to the unsavory characters that hoover around the sands in the dark. If you are going to do this then be prepared to get wacked over the head and your equipment stolen.......it's hard to hear someone approaching when you have headphones on and you are concentrating on sounds coming from your metal detector.

Up here on the Monterey Bay it is pretty common practice though I have not done it myself as I am not much a Night Owl!:roll: If you go, take a buddy and a good light! Strange folks out at night!!:shock:

Hi there PastHunter
Just my two cents worth. I go by the name of Night Hawk because I love to hunt the beaches here on the east coast at night when ever I can. I have been detecting at night off and on for 5 years and never had a problem.Our beaches are not off limit at night and the last couple of years I have seen the police on both horse back and 4 wheelers on the beach at night keeping an eye out for any trouble. Beach is never crowded at night; traffic and parking are a lot easier. I just enjoy the solitude of hunting at night.

Sounds like a great time to MD, although I have never tried night hunting. I would be careful and bring a buddy as well as an airhorn (They are light and loud) in case of trouble. RickO

Hello

I always do overnight hunts on the beaches (UK beaches though!). Very peaceful and more profitable. Rather than watching out for people it gives you a clear mind to focus on getting to know your beach. I never see a sole - only rabbits, foxes and a stag.

Head light is a must and its better to have a red LED - gives you a low light so you can see your immediate detecting area but others from a distance wouldn't see the light or you. A flask of piping hot English Tea is also a must - but I know from my times in America that you may prefer coffee....:roll:

The only thing I find more difficult is detecting a grid pattern to get proper coverage, its pitch black where I go and trying to walk up and down in a straight line is almost impossible.

The night does provide more opportunities - two weeks ago a discarded sweater, you know its discarded because its in the middle of the beach and there no people for miles around, a quick check of the pockets and there is a £10 note inside. Now if that was the daytime I would have assumed it was someone's close by and left it..... it had probably been there for a few days...

Another advantage would be if the beach is cleaned by machine then this is usually done in the morning, by which time you have taken all the good stuff out.

Go for it........

Night time is the right time!!

I LOVE NIGHT HUNTING!! ALOT OF TIMES MY BUDDY BOSTON BOB JOINS ME AND WE WATCH OUT FOR EACHOTHER...SEEN SOME REALLY STRANGE STUFF...AND DURING SUMMER NIGHTS..NAKED DRUNKEN SKINNY DIPPERS ARE COMMON ON HAMPTON BEACH BETWEEN 2AM AND 4AM!! :lol::lol: NEVER HAD ANY REAL PROBLEMS..HAD COUPLE ODD PEOPLE COME UP TO ME FROM BEHIND...I SPUN AROUND WITH MY SCOOP AND SAID MAN YOU SHOULD NO SNEAK UP ON ME IN THE DARK..I ALMOST CLUBBED YOU WITH THIS!! HE TOOK A LOOK AT ME AND MY SCOOP..AND LEFT THE AREA!! I FIND NIGHT HUNTING TO BE VERY RELAXING AND PEACEFUL.. HUNTING UNDER THE STARS AND IN THE MOONLIGHT..JUST BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS..CARRY SOME PEPPER SPRAY! PICK YOUR BEACHES WISELY ALSO..AVOID HIGH CRIME AREAS.

I had my first beach hunt on August 29th, and it gave me my first silver ring so I was hooked after that. I love it, I've gone another 10 to 15 times since then. It's nice and quiet, you have it all to yourself, and it's good to enjoy the night outdoors if you can't sleep. The beach I go to is not necessarily in the nicest of areas. It's probably not a good idea for some to go there alone, but I don't worry too much about these things. I used the street lights across from the beach as a light source at first because it was a spur of the moment thing but after going a few times, I brought a flash light with me, it makes life easier. The other good reason to go at night is if there was a storm right before you go out, you'll most likely be the first to hit the beach and if there was any shifting in the sand than you'll benefit from it. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, and hopefully you'll find lots of good stuff.

I pretty much only hunt at night now, unless I am doing a job recovering someones lost jewellery. I have never had a problem night hunting, it is quiet and peaceful, and you can hunt longer without feeling the effects from the sun. People mention it is a little to risky or dangerous hunting at night, but I am sure more assaults take place at day when there are thousands of people all competing for a patch of sand. I rarely hunt on a Friday or Saturday night, not because I have ever had a problem on these nights, but I know these are the nights there is more likely to be drunks about.

Have fun, and keep safe!

Predecimal

Night Beaching It

Hey PastHunter!

Caution and safety first!

Be aware of your surroundings at all times and if you "get wet" at night AND by yourself...well, not recommeneded.

Every beach is unique!

I may feel safer if I was with some of the fellow Poster's on THEIR beach.:yes::yes::yes:

I personally tried it once on the South Carolina coast, a little unnerving.

Be cautious of sea turtles nest's, etc. they are attracted by lights including flashlight's.

We have a large homeless population on the Grand Strand, especially in the summer, they love the beach at night.

I plan on daylight hunting only. IF low tide is just before sunrise, say an hour or so, I will go, otherwise no way.

Sam

i only night hunted 1 time at myrtle beach. i had trouble because i didnt have a flashlight that worked. i wasnt allowed to go by myself to the beach and my family doesn't care for metaldetecting with me.

I appreciate all of the advice and ideas! Since my last post I've been able to hit the beaches a few times, no gold yet, but a few bucks in clad!:grin: I went each time about an hour and a half before dawn, and I didn't have any problems. I like the idea about the red LED- I have a pretty powerful LED now, but you can't beat the low-key red spectrum for nightime.

I haven't ever had much trouble with bums, I just give them space, and try not to wake up the sleeping ones with my detector noise. Park, beach, wherever- if i'm alone, I wear my headphones behind my ears, instead of on them. :grin:

As for going in the dead of night, I think i'll be bringing my roomate and picking small beaches that don't have strict rules.

Back
Top Bottom