Way weird new settings for the F70/Patriot that seem to be working...GREAT!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
These are using the F70/Patriot, you can control the thresh in disc on these.
I have done some experimenting in high thresh and in my dirt it may be a bit more advantageous.
High thresh...something to this? Really long one.
Don't know how they would work on an F75 but I assume close to the same despite that fixed thresh level in disc.

Not sure why but doing it this way keeps my non-DST rig unusually quiet, I am able to bust up the gain to 95-99 and the thresh to +5 to +9 using that Sharpshooter coil which is a little more quiet anyway than my Fisher coils but this high disc, notched in lower area stuff seems to let me turn the thresh and gain a little higher even using the big DD coil and keep my rig unusually quiet with pretty stable signals as long as I don't notch in more than two lower sections.
I believe I am still hearing tones on everything despite that high disc while having all these areas notched in.

Those settings, disc at 65, notch in EVERY other section, DP tones but all other tone selections also work well.
DE speed.
Using DP tones you hear everything but using a fast sweep and decent overlapping all repeatable tones really seem to stand out...especially the high conductive ones.
Usually I go really slow, in the areas I am trying this lately, some woods with mostly better black dirt, this very fast sweep speed seems to give me better less jumpy signals just like most have experienced that hunt in better more normal dirt than I have.

Iron is a very low growl in the background in DP I can ignore effortlessly and any high falsing from iron is easily identifiable because it doesn't repeat much and from more than one direction definitely.
I can hunt efficiently and quickly covering large areas without looking at the screen listening for those more solid repeatable signals and they pick up all metal from big to small both shallow and deep.

Using these settings in some woods recently I have picked up two mercs, two V nickels, clad, and a bunch of bullets and casings.
I used both DP and multi tones, 4H, as I said those high tones really stand out in either mode but I like DP a bit better.
There are other reasons I have been switching to DP tones more and more off my usual monotone selection, also.
Tried something new with DP...it worked!

These woods have lots of iron, tons of cans from new to old including a bunch of rusting parts on some really old ones, bottle caps galore, beaver tail tabs up the kazoo, nails and a bunch of other junk.
That faster sweep speed in this site with some decent black dirt is working well, yesterday I found several small bullets despite the iron that us still in this site including some very tiny objects despite moving and swinging that coil fast including some small copper jacketed ones and even a tiny 22 bullet casing at several inches deep.
They all sounded off super clear like they were large targets sitting in the surface.
Also a shallow modern quarter that was standing up vertically on edge.
A few days ago I found a 1901 and 1902 V nickels stuck together that were INSIDE a very old steel rusting bottle cap.
The numbers jumped a bit too much but the tone was so solid sounding I had to dig it and I was shocked when I realized what I found.

These settings get deep, stay quiet and more stable at much higher gain and thresh settings than using low disc and I think might be finding me more.
Most targets seem to be identifiable easily, bottle caps and tabs jump more than better targets like coins.
For awhile I ventured away from those woods into a more open play area with about 90-100 years of normal park trash and kept these settings including DP.
A million really fast signals hit me from iron to high, I continued to use that much faster sweep here too, and surprisingly I was still able to ID most targets fairly accurately and pick out the better coin signals and other non ferrous targets.
I dug some screw on bottle caps and several beaver tail tabs but I guessed what these were on every one before I dug them.

Don't know why these settings work this way on this thing keeping it so quiet, deep, sensitive and fast...but you can't argue with success.

The pics below are what I have found using these settings...mostly.
The nice merc and the two buffs were in a coin spill using 4H tones, the worn 1917 merc, .my oldest, and the two V nickels I was using DP.
As I mentioned the V's were stuck together INSIDE and old rusted bottle cap...a jumpy signal I might have chosen to pass on but the tone was so unusually good, sharp and solid sounding in DP I had to dig it.

The other pic is mostly what I found using these settings in those woods and a few other areas.
There are few coins in there from other hunts using different settings.
About 1/4 of this stuff and the two V nickels were found using that much faster, (for me), than normal sweep speed.
In that pic using the settings I am talking about here from those woods are all those bullets and casings, I think there is an old lead musket or buck and ball in there, that toy car, what I believe is an Alabama tax token but it is wasted, and a couple of wheats...one is a 1916d.
I wish that wheat was a dime.
Also that aluminum monkey pin and those head stamps all of which are pretty old.

I always thought slower speed works better here in my normal sites with huge amounts of iron garbage because some signals here can be ultra short and quick, but maybe not.
I will be going back to a couple other iron infested sites and try these settings and faster sweep speed and see.

Attachments

• photostudio_1510312995189_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    photostudio_1510312995189_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 858
  • user10659_pic76737_1510443380.jpg
    user10659_pic76737_1510443380.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 867
  • photostudio_1510929930535.jpg
    photostudio_1510929930535.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 849
  • photostudio_1510929997075.jpg
    photostudio_1510929997075.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 804
Hey D27! I'm gonna have to try this very strange set-up! Thank you for your unlimited amount of work fiddling around with the amazing F70! This rig and you are full of surprises!

Its contrary to conventional thought...So you say, disc out as high as you can go, (65) then notch out everything else, run a high positive thresh, as well as a high sens, Delta Pitch..DE mode, and swing like Billybedammed??

It makes NO sense at all to disc and notch out everything...but I aint gonna question your infield results! If it could really help me hammer clad in the trash, then yeah...I love DP tones and quick brooming park clad/jewelry...I may go out and give this a go today for practice before the weekend clad slamming festivities!...

I've never run a + thresh or sens any higher than 65, or the disc and notches. Consequently, in certain target rich environments, things do tend to get a bit noisy at times...This may help! Thanks for your commitment to try to figure out this rig over the years!..Outstanding effort and research!

So newbies don't get confused discrimination means to remove the target from detection

Notching means to insert the target back into the Discrimination field of detection.

So if I discriminate iron foil nickel and tab and I want to go back in and notch the Nickel back in while still rejecting the tab I can

On the Fisher teknetics machines think of threshold as an Open Door

The more positive threshold you have the smaller targets are going to be accepted

The least threshold you have the least small targets that will be accepted so if you run a thresh of -3 teeny tiny pieces of flakes of metal will not be detected

If you use a threh of + 5 + means the door is wider open and therefore you are accepting more targets and likely to hit on smaller flakes or targets

Think of threshold as opening the door The Wider the door the smaller targets accepted

or a positive thresh the smaller targets accepted

:)

So newbies don't get confused discrimination means to remove the target from detection

Notching means to insert the target back into the Discrimination field of detection.

So if I discriminate iron foil nickel and tab and I want to go back in and notch the Nickel back in while still rejecting the tab I can

On the Fisher teknetics machines think of threshold as an Open Door

The more positive threshold you have the smaller targets are going to be accepted

The least threshold you have the least small targets that will be accepted so if you run a thresh of -3 teeny tiny pieces of flakes of metal will not be detected

If you use a threh of + 5 + means the door is wider open and therefore you are accepting more targets and likely to hit on smaller flakes or targets

Think of threshold as opening the door The Wider the door the smaller targets accepted

or a positive thresh the smaller targets accepted

:)

Yes, thank you for that.
Many have been confused in the past about both notching and exactly how the thresh works.
Using high thresh like this I am finding tiny targets pretty deep.
For regular coin sized targets it might not matter because I have found coins at some decent depths even with that thresh at -5, 6 or more, but if I ever run across a tiny $1 gold coin deep these settings sure might make a difference.

On these using low disc any notching in areas above cuts out targets...with high disc and notching below you are adding targets back in.
In essence high disc and notching back in all areas from iron to zinc is accepting all targets, the same as if disc was at 0...but not exactly because the rig acts differently.
Better maybe, I think..much quieter for sure.

Last edited:
Hey D27! I'm gonna have to try this very strange set-up! Thank you for your unlimited amount of work fiddling around with the amazing F70! This rig and you are full of surprises!

Its contrary to conventional thought...So you say, disc out as high as you can go, (65) then notch out everything else, run a high positive thresh, as well as a high sens, Delta Pitch..DE mode, and swing like Billybedammed??

It makes NO sense at all to disc and notch out everything...but I aint gonna question your infield results! If it could really help me hammer clad in the trash, then yeah...I love DP tones and quick brooming park clad/jewelry...I may go out and give this a go today for practice before the weekend clad slamming festivities!...

I've never run a + thresh or sens any higher than 65, or the disc and notches. Consequently, in certain target rich environments, things do tend to get a bit noisy at times...This may help! Thanks for your commitment to try to figure out this rig over the years!..Outstanding effort and research!

Sure it makes no sense to disc out to max and then notch everything back in...but I have never heard or read about anyone doing it before and nobody ever said I had sense plus if I don't try it, who will?
Look at what I am finding this way...either I am smart to try it or just real lucky, or a bit of both.

Still have more to observe but so far my initial impressions doing it this way it seems to let me use higher gain and thresh while keeping the rig surprisingly quiet and giving me some nice tight and maybe a bit more solid and stable signals than using normal ways with low disc.

What might happen with lower gain down to say 80, 70, 60 or less and even down to 30 I can't say because I haven't tried it...maybe even tighter and better ID's with great unmasking ability in iron and trash?
Will less areas notched in make it even more quiet and stable, I have tried that with great success but not with a fast sweep speed.
And then there are 19 steps on the thresh that can be set that might change things up for better or worse, also.

So little time...so many different combinations to experiment with.

Theres no top end to this rig.....One of those 'sleepers' a guy comes across every once in a while in Life... A Solid in field performer that snuck out of the factory past the Marketing dept before they knew what they had...An immense pleasure to run...

Cool

I really enjoy my patriot. I will be trying this set up in my back yard. Which has turned up some great coin,relics. I have pounded it the last 4 years with 5 differant detectors. Thank you Digger27.

Ive seen the Fisher video explaining fast sweep,Congrats on sticking with your F70! Your write ups make me wonder why I sold mine.:no:

(Gasp!) You're still experimenting?! Don't you know you're supposed to sit back in your recliner and foam at the mouth over the next detector you must buy. Keeps your hands from getting dirty!:D

Ive seen the Fisher video explaining fast sweep,Congrats on sticking with your F70! Your write ups make me wonder why I sold mine.:no:

On page 28 of the owner's manual it says: "When you have located a target and continue sweeping back and forth for verification, use broad, deliberate sweeps across the target for the most accurate target ID. Do not use short sweeps as you might with other metal detectors."

I assume by "deliberate" they mean fast sweeps. You do get better, more consistent ID #'s doing this.

Theres no top end to this rig.....One of those 'sleepers' a guy comes across every once in a while in Life... A Solid in field performer that snuck out of the factory past the Marketing dept before they knew what they had...An immense pleasure to run...

Well said Mud-puppy. Sure is a hell of a machine to use. I was actually frustrated with mine at first until Digger calmed me down with his essays.

(Gasp!) You're still experimenting?! Don't you know you're supposed to sit back in your recliner and foam at the mouth over the next detector you must buy. Keeps your hands from getting dirty!:D

The dude is like a machine right? He needs a steak dinner as much as he has put into all of us learning it. Much of his knowledge applies to the T2 and F75 as well.

A true credit to the hobby this guy. Glad to call him a friend.

Well said Mud-puppy. Sure is a hell of a machine to use. I was actually frustrated with mine at first until Digger calmed me down with his essays.

The dude is like a machine right? He needs a steak dinner as much as he has put into all of us learning it. Much of his knowledge applies to the T2 and F75 as well.

A true credit to the hobby this guy. Glad to call him a friend.

Shucks....twern't nuthin.
It's all just fun to me.

Back
Top Bottom