What dime? SOLVED

Foragist

Forum Supporter
I found this dime in my back yard this summer. No other silver or older coins in this yard. It was white and bumpy when I dug it. I cleaned it as good as it gets. Most of the white is gone, but it's all bumpy; like molten, on both sides. Absolutely no obverse/reverse features left. Exact size of a dime. Still has the reeded edge. Can I call it scrap silver? Can I call it a 1916 D Mercury; Heavily circulated? :lol: Never saw one like it. If it was clad, it should have been dark, instead of white.

Last edited:
OOPS! Forgot the pics. Here's a pic of each side, and an edge shot.

Attachments

• DSCN3968.jpg
    DSCN3968.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 489
  • DSCN3971.jpg
    DSCN3971.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 467
  • DSCN3977.jpg
    DSCN3977.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 468
Ya see, Long time ago, folks swept their floors with brooms instead of vacuum cleaners, then, they simply dumped the dust pan into the fireplace or woodstove along with all the other garbage, or burned it outside in a barrel...Then, they would occasionally dump the ashes out of doors so thats what happened here I am thinking! You found A Fire Dime! Not really that common a find, but we do see them show up throughout the year on the Forum...Nice!

Thanks guys. Pretty confident it was, in fact, a US dime, but still not certain it's a silver dime. I once found several dollars worth of somebody's poker change all burnt in an old campfire spot. Some was still good, but most coins were in various states of meltedness. None of it looked like this. The burning barrel or woodstove theory makes sense, though. This condition could have resulted from it being 90% silver, in an even heat source.
...but I like ChipK's answer!

You can weigh it and see if the weight is correct for a silver dime.

If it is silver it should weigh 2.5 grams or very close to it.

If it is way underweight it is not silver. It does look like it has been very hot due to the surface bubble-like condition. "Mud" is probably right that it's a "fire dime. He's seen a lot of unusual stuff out there.

You can weigh it and see if the weight is correct for a silver dime.

If it is silver it should weigh 2.5 grams or very close to it.

If it is way underweight it is not silver. It does look like it has been very hot due to the surface bubble-like condition. "Mud" is probably right that it's a "fire dime. He's seen a lot of unusual stuff out there.

Will do that when I get the time. I did do a drop test, to hear if it rings like a silver dime. Unfortunately, the acoustics have been altered. It has a duller thud than a normal clad or silver dime.

Will do that when I get the time. I did do a drop test, to hear if it rings like a silver dime. Unfortunately, the acoustics have been altered. It has a duller thud than a normal clad or silver dime.

just file the edge a little...with a finger nail file even...I Dont think you have to worry about hurting its Numismatic value...you will see right away if its silver...

just file the edge a little...with a finger nail file even...I Dont think you have to worry about hurting its Numismatic value...you will see right away if its silver...
Oh yeah. I forgot that I thought of that last night. I just now did that, and I scratched a clad dime for side by side comparison. My fire dime has the unmistakeable shine of silver. Cool beans! It is a 1916 D!
Thanks, Mud, for yet another quick, easy, simple solution.

You can try the tissue test with a white single-ply Kleenex. Lay a clad dime next to a silver dime under the tissue. The clad shows up dark, the silver appears white. Works with all silver coin, even 40% silver.

Back
Top Bottom