The New Garrett "APEX" Metal Detector

John-Edmonton

Elite Member

Attachments

• apex pic.jpg
    apex pic.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 733
Another mid level machine. Thanks Garrett. Big news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Nox 800, Etrac, and a Nokta Impact so I really don't need one. I do like the looks of it though. I think Garrett is at least moving in the right direction offering more than just one frequency, and I hope they sell a bunch of them. Who knows if it turns out to offer something my other detectors can't do well I wouldn't be against getting one. I'm not up for being a guinea pig though.

I do look forward to seeing some serious testing. Hopefully the Hoover Boys have some units already.

I find the unit interesting. I was considering getting a Vanquish as a way to check out multi-freq machines & comparing it to my F2 (also have an F70). Now I'll likely hold off and consider the Apex. Looks like it might be a good upgrade over the F2; more features while still being easy to use. Features that appeal to me most are the multi freq and proportional audio. Made in the USA is nice plus!

John, how does the Apex that Garrett gave you look in person? It looks better than I thought it would except they hung onto the godaweful yellow/orange color. Interesting though, but it's got a lot of comparable competition.

Here's the new product from Garrett Metal Detectors. It has great features, often requested by serious users.

https://garrett.com/sport/ace/apex

John the Apex certainly isn't an upgraded ACE line of yesteryear. It's all new tech and this is what we've been waiting for. More features than the Vanquish and Simplex. Can do a couple of things the Nox 600 can't do. Now we just have to see the depth test and see how Multi Flex compares to Multi IQ. If this is Garretts low line detector they have set the bar. I like where Garrett is headed. I think Garrett absolutely stunned the detecting world introducing their simultaneous multi frequency. Waterproof versions with a few more upgrades will be next.

From what has been posted the APEX is not waterproof but just water resistant in the rain. The multi frequency has been visited by minelab for years. It seems that Garret still has some serious work to catch up.

From what has been posted the APEX is not waterproof but just water resistant in the rain. The multi frequency has been visited by minelab for years. It seems that Garret still has some serious work to catch up.

From what I gather, Garrett was doing just fine in terms of metal detecting sales (overall). Now with multi-frequency, if it's even comparable to Multi-IQ, Minelab has just lost it's single biggest competitive advantage that it had over its competitors.

Minelab will be fine, I imagine. I have a feeling that Multi-IQ v2 is coming out sometime soon.

But Garrett is the master in marketing. They don't need something that's as good (or better) as anyone else. They just need someone that appears to be just as good, in order to sell plenty of units.

I have a feeling that Multi-Flex is close to as good (if not better) than Multi-IQ.

Good competition creates good products/price. It's a good things for us. I'm looking forward to see the comparison between the Apex and the Equinox 800

Way, way wait! A minute! It has hybrid audio???? Apex has the belltone did you hear it? No audio like atpro🤔
No sir I am not so sure about that!!

It can already do more than the Vanquish line and has an advantage over the Nox 600 with more selectable frequencies . Doesn't look too serious. $425.00. Looks like they're there.

.....the Apex certainly isn't an upgraded ACE line of yesteryear. It's all new tech and this is what we've been waiting for.

They've neither created any new technology nor priced their particular combination of features in a way that sets a new (lower) bar. They had to do something to keep the ACE series competitive with the Simplex and Vanquish. It's an overstatement to say the Apex is "all new tech" unless you mean new to the ACE series.

They pushed a few key features from the AT series down to the ACE:

-proportional audio
-5 digit range notch discrimination across all non-ferrous
-built in z link (fast, stable wireless, but limits truly wireless headphone choices)
-ground balancing

Then added features already available from other companies:

-multi freq and select-able single frequency
-five tones
-built in lithium battery
-modern large screen control box
-adjustable iron audio volume

And maintained some general Garrett ACE/AT design characteristics:

- 99 scale broken into segments of no less than 5, but now an even 20 segments of 5 across the entire range.
- S shaft
- Camlocks to adjust staft
- The general characteristic of the audio

What seems to be new?

- coil shape?
- connector design maybe?

More features than the Vanquish and Simplex.

I would hope it has some more features than the Simplex considering the higher price tag. But, it's not a threat to the Simplex. Multifrquency is just not enough for most people to overlook Simplex's high end appearance, waterproof control box, wireless headphones, and significantly lower price tag. Simplex already has iron audio volume and similar notch descrimination. They can release other coils.

The Apex is a clear threat to the top two Vanquish models, partly due to the selectable single frequencies, but more due to Garrett's marketing and loyal made-in-USA following. People prioritizing multi-freq mode over all other features can get that for much less in the lower priced Vanquish models, and not worry about killing a 500-600 dollar machine if they accidentally dunk it.

Can do a couple of things the Nox 600 can't do.

Can you be specific?

Now we just have to see the depth test and see how Multi Flex compares to Multi IQ.

Indeed. The devil is in the details. The interplay between audio characteristics and detection technology is what serious hunters want to experience and learn. It's not as simple as saying "We've got multi-frequency!" It comes down to how the software weights, processes, and outputs signals from the multi frequency input, and whether the audio characteristics of the machine (and other options) make the most of it.

I concede up front that such subtle differences can be so situation specific that it's useless to debate. Most people won't dig enough targets to ever make a valid comparison, much less know if it ever would have mattered to their specific goals.

I like the idea of their viper coil, and think it could cover A LOT of situations. But, there are no free lunches. From a pure depth standpoint you can't get around the limitations of a 6" wide coil. Multi frequency should get the most out of it, and people with highly mineralized soil and/or poor "deep hunting" technique won't notice a difference anyway.

If this is Garrett's low line detector they have set the bar. I like where Garrett is headed. I think Garrett absolutely stunned the detecting world introducing their simultaneous multi frequency. Waterproof versions with a few more upgrades will be next.

Except, it's not Garrett's low line detector. They have multiple ACE models below it and have priced the Apex out of the entry level detector range. The only bar they've set is what they're willing to offer (and not offer) for 500 dollars.

I'm not shocked at all that it has multi frequency. I would have been shocked had they set the bar at 550 dollars for a waterproof multi freq machine with wireless headphones. That would have meant dropping the price on the AT Maxx, discontinuing the Pro and Gold. Then, challenging themselves to develop something within two years that's worthy of a 700-1000 dollar price tag.

Instead, if they can't come up with something extraordinary in the next year or so they can fall back on charging 750 for a waterproof version of the Apex with a few extra user adjustable parameters, call it the Apex AT and discontinue the rest of the AT series.

Just to be clear, I think it looks like a good detector for the price tag. I also think a used AT series detector is a great value. Either one will find tons of stuff and fit the needs of a lot of people depending on whether they want to prioritize waterproof or multi-frequency. They won't have to upgrade until they want both and/or want more user adjustable parameters.

Last edited:
They've neither created any new technology nor priced their particular combination of features in a way that sets a new (lower) bar. They had to do something to keep the ACE series competitive with the Simplex and Vanquish. It's an overstatement to say the Apex is "all new tech" unless you mean new to the ACE series.

They pushed a few key features from the AT series down to the ACE:

-proportional audio
-5 digit range notch discrimination across all non-ferrous
-built in z link (fast, stable wireless, but limits truly wireless headphone choices)
-ground balancing

Then added features already available from other companies:

-multi freq and select-able single frequency
-five tones
-built in lithium battery
-modern large screen control box
-adjustable iron audio volume

And maintained some general Garrett ACE/AT design characteristics:

- 99 scale broken into segments of no less than 5, but now an even 20 segments of 5 across the entire range.
- S shaft
- Camlocks to adjust staft
- The general characteristic of the audio (pseudo analog is how I think of it)

What seems to be new?

- coil shape?
- connector design maybe?

I would hope it has some more features than the Simplex considering the higher price tag. But, it's not a threat to the Simplex. Multifrquency is just not enough for most people to overlook Simplex's high end appearance, waterproof control box, wireless headphones, and significantly lower price tag. Simplex already has iron audio volume and similar notch descrimination. They can release other coils.

The Apex is a clear threat to the top two Vanquish models, partly due to the selectable single frequencies, but more due to Garrett's marketing and loyal made-in-USA following. People prioritizing multi-freq mode over all other features can get that for much less in the lower priced Vanquish models, and not worry about killing a 500-600 dollar machine if they accidentally dunk it.

Can you be specific?

Indeed. The devil is in the details. The interplay between audio characteristics and detection technology is what serious hunters want to experience and learn. It's not as simple as saying "We've got multi-frequency!" It comes down to how the software weights, processes, and outputs signals from the multi frequency input, and whether the audio characteristics of the machine (and other options) make the most of it.

I concede up front that such subtle differences can be so situation specific that it's useless to debate. Most people won't dig enough targets to ever make a valid comparison, much less know if it ever would have mattered to their specific goals.

I like the idea of their viper coil, and think it could cover A LOT of situations. But, there are no free lunches. From a pure depth standpoint you can't get around the limitations of a 6" wide coil. Multi frequency should get the most out of it, and people with highly mineralized soil and/or poor "deep hunting" technique won't notice a difference anyway.

Except, it's not Garrett's low line detector. They have multiple ACE models below it and have priced the Apex out of the entry level detector range. The only bar they've set is what they're willing to offer (and not offer) for 500 dollars.

I'm not shocked at all that it has multi frequency. I would have been shocked had they set the bar at 550 dollars for a waterproof multi freq machine with wireless headphones. That would have meant dropping the price on the AT Maxx, discontinuing the Pro and Gold. Then, challenging themselves to develop something within two years that's worthy of a 700-1000 dollar price tag.

Instead, if they can't come up with something extraordinary in the next year or so they can fall back on charging 750 for a waterproof version of the Apex with a few extra user adjustable parameters, call it the Apex AT and discontinue the rest of the AT series.

Just to be clear, I think it looks like a good detector for the price tag. I also think a used AT series detector is a great value. Either one will find tons of stuff and fit the needs of a lot of people depending on whether they want to prioritize waterproof or multi-frequency. They won't have to upgrade until they want both and/or want more user adjustable parameters.[/QUOTE

They've neither created any new technology
Wrong. Multi Flex is new technology. If it was Multi IQ then there would be a copyright infringement. There is a reason Garrett and Minelab have exclusive proprietary rights to their technology.

-built in z link (fast, stable wireless, but limits truly wireless headphone choices) Z Lynk is faster than Bluetooth. Don't see the issue here.

They can release other coils. (Simplex) Great. Buy another coil and how much does that increase the price ? The concept of the Viper coil is brilliant

People prioritizing multi-freq mode over all other features can get that for much less in the lower priced Vanquish models MF is a huge plus. There are times when single frequency is better. Having the ability to do both makes it a better value than the Vanquish.

Can you be specific?
Nox 600 has 3 selectable single frequencies. Apex has 4. Nox 600 doesn't have proportional audio. Apex does.

From a pure depth standpoint you can't get around the limitations of a 6" wide coil. How do you know until you've tried one. After all, it's a new coil with new technology. How much do you know about the Multi Flex ? How does it work ? How is it tuned with the coil ?

Good competition creates good products/price. It's a good things for us. I'm looking forward to see the comparison between the Apex and the Equinox 800

I believe Garrett had those two machines in mind to compete with this release. Much more "Bang" for the buck. And, Garrett can now build even better metal detectors, based on this new platform. It's nice to see a home grown company take risks, sink a lot of money into R&D and come out with yet another new product to stifle the competition.

1. Wrong. Multi Flex is new technology. If it was Multi IQ then there would be a copyright infringement. There is a reason Garrett and Minelab have exclusive proprietary rights to their technology.

2. built in z link (fast, stable wireless, but limits truly wireless headphone choices) Z Lynk is faster than Bluetooth. Don't see the issue here.

3. Buy another coil and how much does that increase the price ? The concept of the Viper coil is brilliant

4. There are times when single frequency is better. Having the ability to do both makes it a better value than the Vanquish.

5. Nox 600 has 3 selectable single frequencies. Apex has 4. Nox 600 doesn't have proportional audio. Apex does.

6. How do you know until you've tried one. After all, it's a new coil with new technology. How much do you know about the Multi Flex ? How does it work ? How is it tuned with the coil ?

Responses:

1. I can use your own reply and ask: How do you know Multi-Freq and Multi-Flex are different enough to call Multi-flex a "new technology". Based on the presentation and marketing they appear to be very similar. Whether they're technically similar enough to constitute infringement is up to engineers and the courts. If it's being done in a significantly different way by Garrett, then why not say so? The point is that it's a multiple simultaneous frequency feature. Not new.

2. Z Link is good, but it does limit headphone choices. Besides, I didn't list those features because they're bad. I listed them because they're not new. That was my point in response to your overall statement that the Apex is setting a bar for new tech. (As far as speed, on paper it's faster than Low Latency Bluetooth, but nobody can perceive the difference.)

3. I said the Viper coil was a nice idea, but it isn't going to be the deciding factor for anyone considering a Simplex.

4. I didn't say single frequency was a bad idea. In fact, I said the Apex presents a clear problem for the top two Vanquish models partly because they lack it and the Apex has it. But, single frequency modes aren't enough for somebody on a budget to buy an Apex over a lower level Vanquish. Minelab is offering a version of multi frequency in their entry level models. You have to buy an Apex to get it from Garrett.

5. OK, the Apex has a 20k single frequency mode for a total of four (5,10,15,20) while the Nox 600 has three (5,10,15). The Nox 600 also has 6 default multi freq modes while the Apex has 2. Ignoring the waterproof difference, the Nox 600 has adjustable recovery speed, adjustable iron bias, and more custom audio options. Also, the Equinox 600 does have proportional audio. (See page 17 of your manual.) I've successfully hunted for deep targets under trash by setting the Nox in a single tone and listening for the quieter tones. The effect is less pronounced than an AT series detector, but that's not a bad thing for deep silver hunting.

6. This isn't magic. There are physical relationships and limitations between coil dimensions and detection depth. I think Garrett would mention it if they made some breakthrough along those lines.

My main point stands. The Apex is not a groundbreaking detector full of "new tech". Garrett smartly pulled various technologies from their own detectors and other companies to create a model that's priced exactly where one would expect it to be priced.

I believe Garrett had those two machines in mind to compete with this release. Much more "Bang" for the buck. And, Garrett can now build even better metal detectors, based on this new platform. It's nice to see a home grown company take risks, sink a lot of money into R&D and come out with yet another new product to stifle the competition.

Its good to see Garrett step into the future with such a machine that's still affordable to many.................could very well be the start of a new beginning for Garrett in the way of hobby detectors.

Speaking strictly as a salt water hunter.

Garrett has the AT series that can take a dunk, but can not handle salt water detecting

Now they have a multi frequency machine in the Apex that can handle salt water detecting but can not take a dunk.

As a salt water hunter..
I'll stay with the Nox

Speaking strictly as a salt water hunter.

Garrett has the AT series that can take a dunk, but can not handle salt water detecting

Now they have a multi frequency machine in the Apex that can handle salt water detecting but can not take a dunk.

As a salt water hunter..
I'll stay with the Nox

I don't think this Garrett conundrum will exist one year from now.

Back
Top Bottom