Ghost beeps

seagullplayer

I have found in a heavy trash area that right at the end of my swing either right or left, it is not uncommon to get a high tone beep. But there is nothing there when I re-scan.

When I say heavy trash area, I mean there might be low tones in the swing, but nothing that "should" ring high.

If I am in a clean area, like woods this never happens. And it is always at the end of my swing.

I never hear anyone ask about this. And I have never seen it in any videos.

Can I be doing something in my swing pattern to cause this? Too fast, too slow, lifting the coil at the end? I try to make sure and keep the coil as level with the ground as I can...

Ghost beeps for me have mostly been just incorrect item detection, meaning I might be trying to discriminate iron or tabs and get a high silver beep then goes away, when it really was a rivet, nail trash of some kind giving a false reading before it corrected itself on the next swing. Whats tough is ignoring the possibility it's a silver coin on it's side deep and might do the same thing.
To check to see if its a real reading before it gnaws at you to death or dig 6 feet down, switch over to iron and re-sweep, then double check with whatever previous setting you used, and if still not satisfied, do like most old timers do...dig everything!

If not happening in clean areas then most likely it is a combination of trash (as coin_pirate suggested) and the coil changing direction. The direction change does change the internal signal a small amount due to the Earth's Magnetic field producing a Voltage in the coil during movement. Most detector circuit have a means to cancel the EF effect but sometimes is a little slow when the coil changes dirction. That combined with small trash could cause a weak beep.
Next time it happens turn OFF all discrimination and see (hear) if there is a trash target causing this.

Just a thought here.
When you have a target of a clump of smaller targets and you break it up and separated them when digging so your target just got smaller.

Doug

Last edited:
I have the same issue with my Nox 800. It may be due to being right-handed, but I often get that Ghost Beep at the end of the furthest part of the right swing of the coil. And it is loudest if at the end of that swing if the coil bumps a twig or blade of tall grass.

I have checked those spots, and on many occasions, pulled out good targets. Other times, I have found nothing. Even in all-metal mode.

This may not help you, but I have used the Nox a lot over the past year, and for some reason, I can kinda tell if there is something more to check, should I hear a beep at the end of a swing.

More often than not, if I hear the Ghost Beep, and think that it is going to be a nothing beep, but I check it anyway, it turns out to be nothing. And vice versa... If I hear what could be a Ghost Beep, I can kinda tell that it could be something to look into. I'm usually right.

It can be annoying for sure. There are times and locations that I get the Ghost Beep at both ends of my swing on every swing. Then I just listen for what is in the middle.

I have the same issue with my Nox 800. It may be due to being right-handed, but I often get that Ghost Beep at the end of the furthest part of the right swing of the coil. And it is loudest if at the end of that swing if the coil bumps a twig or blade of tall grass.

I have checked those spots, and on many occasions, pulled out good targets. Other times, I have found nothing. Even in all-metal mode.

This may not help you, but I have used the Nox a lot over the past year, and for some reason, I can kinda tell if there is something more to check, should I hear a beep at the end of a swing.

More often than not, if I hear the Ghost Beep, and think that it is going to be a nothing beep, but I check it anyway, it turns out to be nothing. And vice versa... If I hear what could be a Ghost Beep, I can kinda tell that it could be something to look into. I'm usually right.

It can be annoying for sure. There are times and locations that I get the Ghost Beep at both ends of my swing on every swing. Then I just listen for what is in the middle.

That pretty much nails what I am talking about. I'm glad it's not just me!

I will check the floppy cable idea. I could see where that could happen, but I would think it would also happen in clean areas. But I am thinking that more than not there is a low bell tone in the swing that gives me the high tone at the end. I could see a loose cable maybe effecting the signal just enough to change the tone, but maybe not enough to create one.

I know my ACE 250 is prone to the same thing.

Iron that has broken down to just a mess of rusty sand/dirt, will do some weird stuff. That said, I had a similar issue with a NOX 800. Could it be (Oak Island narrator) that the sensitivity is too high (if adjustable)? A lot of good possibilities have been posted.....Good Luck!

Ghost beeps at the end of your swing are generally dues to swinging too fast. Slow your swing down and those ghost beeps should disappear.

Thank you for asking this question. I have an ACE 300 and get the exact same thing and it drives me batty!! I either find nothing or I could start a hardware store with the nails I have found. LOL Thanks for the answers to what it could be. I'm a newbie so all tips help. I get a little better with each swing, but this is definitely aggravating.

Could it be (Oak Island narrator) that the sensitivity is too high (if adjustable)?

Yup :thumbsup:. If ever you detector is to nervous (giving falsings) then turn back the sens until it is acceptable.
If it is to nervous by to much actual beeps on rubbish then try to adjust your disc.

Tilting your coil at the end of your swing can cause that Beep as can having sensitivity set too high.

I run my AT Pro at max sensitivity, and I do get the occasional "ghost beep" at the end of the swing, if there is another conductor present there.

As a follow up, I didn't find any issues with my cable.

Dropping sensitivity and slowing my swing seems to make it happen less often.

Just knowing that it happens to others makes me far less concerned. It's easy to recheck and move on, I just feared I was messing something I should have known.

I knowingly dig a lot of trash. Mostly double checking myself. I have yet (this year) to be surprised with a good find from such a hole.
I have on the other hand been fooled with trash when I thought it might be something many times. :lol:

Last edited:
If you notice ghosting on the end of your swings, your coil isn’t parallel to the ground. Shorten your swing up a bit and it will stop. Keep the coil face level to the ground the entire swing.

My brother had an old Minelab that really had the ghost beep at the end of every swing. The solution was to pause for a second at the end of each swing. I hope that you find the solution.

I had similar problem years ago with one of my detectors. Tried just about what everyone else said here mentioned above to no avail. Turns out it was a bad coil. Don't forget that possibility.

Same detector, same issue , same conditions , same everything. I have learned to live with it.

Back
Top Bottom