Am I using it too much?

Pumptech

Forum Supporter
I recently developed a issue with my Equinox 800. The outer gray plastic sheathing is falling apart and it is continuing to getting worse. I seemed to have worn through the grip on the unit and it is getting larger. It is right at the point where my thumb rests and is annoying.

Am I over using? I put well over a thousand hours on it and love the machine using it every chance I get.

Anyone else having this issue? I am thinking of putting grip tape on it. Should I send it in? Do you think it is covered under the warranty?

Attachments

• grip3.JPG
    grip3.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 475
  • grip1.JPG
    grip1.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 395
  • grip2.JPG
    grip2.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 401
  • grip4.JPG
    grip4.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 402
My goodness ! You got a death grip on that thing ? How many hours you got on her ? Maybe trim your nails...

You leave it in the sun or heat a lot when not in use?

It probably is covered, send them an email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Send it in then cover new one with vet tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatall

Last edited:
With a grip like that I do not want to shake hands with you/ You would crush every bone in my hands.

I use 3M Vetrap on the handles of my machines. When it gets worn and skungy I replace it.

But ease up on the pressure you are putting on the handle. Since I think it is still under warranty I would contact Minelab USA and see if they will replace the worn cover.

I have used mine for more than two years, had it in April of 2018. I've not kept track of the hours but I am out almost every day when the weather allows so it must be more than a thousand hours. I don't wear gloves, and if the handle gets dirty, I clean it, not every day, but if it's muddy or cruddy I clean the grip to keep abrasion down. I don't know what caused the cracking on your handle unless some petroleum product weakened it. I would call Minelab and see if they will get you a handle.

attached photo of my grip with lots of hours on it.

Attachments

• EQ grip_3156.1500.jpg
    EQ grip_3156.1500.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 338
I use Sports wrap around the handle to help save on the wear and tear from the grit in the sand. As far as gripping it tight I have a thread and I started of an idea that sure has helped me out quite a bit. Sort of like a stirrup you can swing it without gripping.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=277493

Attachments

• IMG_20200407_172040.jpg
    IMG_20200407_172040.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 321
Seems to me that is just wear and tear and wouldn't be covered under warranty. A 1000 hours is a long time, you use something that much and it will wear down, can't expect it to last forever. Just my opinion, hopefully they cover it for you.

Thanks for the suggestions, problem solved for now. I used grip tape for fishing rods.

I am still going to contact and send the photos to the factory to see what they can do since it seems as if the rubber material is disintegrating and I found another spot under the display after removing the cover.

Attachments

• grip5.jpg
    grip5.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 266
  • new grip tape.jpg
    new grip tape.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 269
I have used it a few times now since the wrap was applied. I am liking the grip much better now. It actually fits my hands better, has no slip, and is more cushioned! I wish I had thought of this prior to the wear. I emailed Minelab support and sent pictures, still no response from them yet.

Back
Top Bottom