Frustration trying to gain permission to detect

mattyshore

Pending Member
I moved to Delaware about two years ago and recently started metal detecting. I have spoken with the state and they informed me of their rules. Basically I am only allowed to search on the beaches as the rest of their rules are outdated and have not been updated in some time. I have been trying to gain permission from local towns since little town in Delaware seems to have their own little rules. As an Eagle Scout and a History enthusiast I thought Delaware would yield some pretty cool finds. So far that has not even been close to the case. Its getting really frustrating since I know Im not rude Im very polite, I am a card carrying Eagle scout with years of out door knowledge and I respect the land. I always take my trash I dig with me to dispose of properly but it seems I keep running into a wall. Private land, state land any where I go to look for permission people see to be uptight and always say no. So far all my great finds have been on Long Island where I am originally from. New York by far is easier to get permission and permits and there are soooo many place to hunt legally with out a permit. I didnt think a state like Delaware with all the history it has would refuse and shut me out time after time. I am able to detect parks that are maintained by the city of Dover since the beaches are over an hour from me but half the city parks are chained or locked up when they should be open. I got no reason as to why this is when I called the city of Dover. Im starting to get frustrated and I dont want to be because I love metal detecting but Im not happy.

Do some door knocking... Its always a no if you dont ask. The first knock is nerve racking butit gets real easy after that. Be polite and if they say ges dont make a mess.

Don't let it get to you. Your area is probably much like mine, people are sick to death of solicitors coming to the door. When they come to the door with a 'no' attitude ready to go (I do) you're already at a disadvantage.

They way to go, IMO, is from friends and co-workers. Talk to them about the hobby, show some neat stuff you have found. Show a couple youtube videos if you want. Then ask if they know anyone who has some land that you might be able to detect on and go from there.

Go do some work with a local cub pack or troop, as an Eagle you might be doing so already. That's a great way to meet people from all over (I'm an Asst Cubmaster myself).

Im not a shy person so Im not afraid to knock on a persons door, its just I do a lot of research and places that I know have history I keep getting denied. When I call the State or Parks departments they are just plain rude as well. I go home to New York they are so nice and polite and explain how I need a permit for State parks and they even tell me where I can go with out a permit. You would think with all the history in Delaware they would be a little more willing, but they are just jerks about it. So the only place I can detect is the beaches and its not so easy for me to get there. I know I can do the city parks maintained by the city of dover and that where I have been going since Im always around that area but even so some of the parks are locked up and gated shut and when I ask the city about it they have no answer. plus dover is absolutly filthy. NYC parks are cleaner. Im starting to think other than friends backyards I have to only detect in NY where its seems to be more accepted. This went from hobby to obsession with each find and Im not as excited living in delaware to even go out anymore. I know there are incredible finds just waiting to be found here but not being able to look is the worst park. Of course the oldest area of Dover, just became a national park which is not off limits as well.

I have found two situations to be good ice breakers:
1-- go around to yard sales, ask the people holding the sales at older houses if you can hunt
2--get a local map, stop and ask directions to a nearby older location or park. You'll be less threatening and they will want to help; you won't look as much like a salesperson, either. If they are friendly, turn the conversation to metal detecting and let them know you are looking for old/historic places.
These 2 ways are how I got over being afraid to ask for permission.

Oh-- another tip-- check for local geocaches in your area (geocaching.com). I've found that many times parks or other places that allow someone to place a cache will also allow metal detecting.

Networking! Join a club of some kind, kiwanas, ruritan, build a relationship with people hang out. Get to know them and let them learn that you're serious minded and trustworthy. Either they or someone they know will have good locations. Once you let people know what kind of places your looking for, they usually enjoy helping you get on to other places. I told my boss about what kind of places I've been trying to find to detect on and he says " you're welcome to detect around my house and the church across the street from me was built in the 1800s after the one before burned down which was built in the late 1700s. I'll see if I can get permission for you." Just talk to everyone you know about it, but be tactful in how you bring it up-
You should genuinely be interested in what other people enjoy before you can hope to get their attention and get them to focus on your desires.

Catch them already out in the yard. SMILE a lot.

Dress nice, polo, and khakis might help neutralize any intimidating modern youthful appearances.

1124_mario_jay_majorski_ex-1.jpg
geezer%2B%25236.jpg

120310-bank-robber.gif
attachment.php

The one below is the scariest!

attachment.php

If all else fails take Bamadigtab with you, he gets a lot of yeses!

The guy behind the stainless steel isolation door seems fine.
Just a lovable old scamp who didn't know he was committing heinous felonies. It happens.

They're numerous places I want to hunt, but I know it's futile to ask, so I try the end around. It's more finding someone you know that knows the owner of the land. Course, I'm in a small town and bout everyone knows everyone.

1-- go around to yard sales, ask the people holding the sales at older houses if you can hunt
2--get a local map, stop and ask directions to a nearby older location or park. You'll be less threatening and they will want to help; you won't look as much like a salesperson, either. If they are friendly, turn the conversation to metal detecting and let them know you are looking for old/historic places.
These 2 ways are how I got over being afraid to ask for permission.

Awesome ideas! I need to get over the fear of rejection and the awkwardness of asking permission. Leading into it after the ice has been broken is a great idea. Thanks

Also watch for local Facebook sites, such as

"I'm from -----
Welcome to ---------

Not to be confused with your city sites. Usually done by private people or some society. I know of two FB sites for my small town and people post non stop about history, old pictures, etc. I've gotten permission from numerous people simply posting and asking.

So I have not given up here in Delaware. I may have to wait a few months for events to be over on the grounds I want to hunt but to me thats ok because that might mean fresh drops. I am in contact with the State about getting permission on one piece of property and I am still waiting to hear back but they have a lot of events on the grounds right now. I also am asking about permission on the State fairgrounds. I wrote to them on their facebook page and they were very enthusiastic in their response and gave me a lot of ways to contact the landowners. I was told that I have a great chance of being able to detect but just to make sure it was not around the time of the fair and or concerts that were going on. Im totally cool with that. In the mean time since Im headed back to Long Island this weekend, I am able to detect on a spot where I have been geocaching in the past. Geocaching got me started with finding things and seemed to progress into metal detecting. The site I am detecting is the former grandstands and press box for the Vanderbuilt Cup races. These were the very first international car races in the United States. There were six races held and this area is one of the few places left that developers have been denied building. The county on Long Island (Nassau) has three towns and the town I am in is amazing and do not require permits and have granted me permission in so many places. So far all my great finds have been on Long Island, from a lead soilder from the 1930s to my first silver coin 1939 Merc Dime. In Delaware I have found nothing but trash but with all the history I refuse to give up. Hey a clad day is still a good day to me.

Im hoping since the Vanderbilt Cup races were held between 1904 to 1910 that I have a good chance at finding some silver coins and maybe even a gold coin if lucky. This event drew a few thousand people each time and of course where I am detecting is where the largest crowds would have been.

Back
Top Bottom