• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New guy, I already have a Great Idea for Coil Protection

awsomeears

I was on this site before but forgot my screen name and it looks like the site changed.

Anwho im Brad 8)

Hvac installer/service tech for 6 months :lol:

Wisconsin is my home state.

Planing to buy the ACE 250 in the months to come :-)

And thats about it.

I was reading about the ACE 250 and the larger Coil (forgot what size) does not have a protectiive cover for it, or that its not released just yet.

Here is my idea :

Any hardware store carrys this stuff to coat your hand tools http://www.plastidip.com/consumer/products.html

There $8 a bottle so its not an arm and a leg.

This should be easy to apply and have no effect on the Coil doing its work.

Your Thoughts ?

Hi Brad. Welcome back!
Your idea is a great one, but it's a rubber coating. I would think it would wear off easier (and faster) than a coil cover would (which is no more than $10 each).

That stuff is tough enough to hold up a while. It is renewable if it gets in too bad shape. Think you may have hit on an economical idea! Nothing like good old fashion human ingenuity!!! If you're worried about it not coming off easily at a later date, Spray the coil with Pam first and then dip it in the liquid. If torn it should easily peel right off. :!:

Thx for the site awsomeears, the other products I can use on my waders and stuff if I ever get a leak...

Most guys who don't use coil covers go with epoxy which I think will stand up better... I had to epoxy my friends Ace250 when it developed a crack in a seam on the bottom of his coil.

The rubber dip liquid is very thin. Several coats are needed, and its "toughness leaves a lot to be desired. A better compound would be the liquid that is used to coat sawblades and cutters after they are sharpened. I cannot remember the name of it now, but contact any sharpening service and I'm sure they can help. The material is cheap, durable, and can be peeled off easily. Thickness is great.

Hello Brad and welcome back. I thinks Craigs idea about using the epoxy would hold up better but the coil cover is enexpensive and last for years. To me a easier solution. Which ever you use best of luck and post your finds. HH.

Hi guys as you know im new here might sound dumb but what is rhino skin also why do you need a coil cover its not as if u bashing it on the ground is it. as i said im new so is a coil cover nesescery

Paul, even if you're very careful it is enivitable that sooner or latter you will scuff the ground and when you do that you may be over rocks or other hard materials. Even sand will wear down a unprotected coil after a while. To me it is an essential accessory to have for you detector.

thank you terry for putting me straight on that one by the way does anyone know how i put pics on here i tried yesterday and it said the pic was to big (256 k)

brrttpaul said:
thank you terry for putting me straight on that one by the way does anyone know how i put pics on here i tried yesterday and it said the pic was to big (256 k)

Best way is to Set up and account to www.photobucket.com

Very very very simple and you can upload alot of pic's. I have about 10 pages worth of pic's :lol:

Back
Top Bottom