Introducing myself

ottomatic1

Hello. I have been metal detecting with my Minelab Soveriegn GT for a couple years now. I look in old wild west wagon trails mostly of the mojave desert area as well as the sierra nevadas. No Gold watches yet. Just a lot of pull tops.:roll:

But I LOVE doing it. I hope to find out how to maximize my knowledge of how to use my detector in this forum.

Thanks for reading and happy hunting.

Welcome from Illinois! You've got some great history to hunt there. Best of luck!

Welcome to the Forum. Look forward to seeing some of your finds. Post lots and lots of pics.

Welcome aboard from NW Florida!!

10401988_10154204705420635_270724908735960456_n.jpg

welcome from Salinas, CA. My buddies and I have made treks down your way, tracing/travelling the old emigrant routes, trails, etc..... Found some reales, seateds, relics, etc... The trick is: you gotta figure out where they stopped and camped for the night. There would be recurring stopping spots, usually at a place that afforded water (hence springs or creek crossings, etc....), protection (the human nature tendency to stop at mountain edges, tree cover where woods meets valley floor bottoms, trail forks in the road,), etc.... Naturally some such stopping points gave way to stage stations. And those gave way to cities/towns. So of course, those will do you no good. But if you can find the recurring stop spots out in the middle-of-nowhere, that just fizzled and never became anything, THOSE are what you want. You don't just wander the old wagon ruts randomly. You gotta find where they stopped for the nights.

Back
Top Bottom