NEWBIES: Swing speed and coil control

Dig-it-Man

I still consider myself a newbie, as I only started detecting about a year ago.
Last summer while detecting on a south Jersey beach with my Ace 250, another guy shows up with a CTX3030. I was hesitant to approach him as I had no idea what I was doing and was unsure of protocol when encountering another detector. I went about my business but kept an eye on him, hoping to learn a bit. He was running a grid pattern, as was I. However, he was walking at a pace equal to someone walking in the rain without an umbrella, and his swing speed matched a happy dog's tail. My grid overlapped his grid, and I figured I was just wasting my time, as the 3030 is a machine I can only dream of owning and there was no way my 250 would find something in an area he already swept. I was wrong. I found a couple quarters, pennies and a woman's small silver wedding band. I walk slow,swing slow and keep my coil as close, and even to the ground as possible. I slightly overlap my own pattern, especially when making a turn. I just wanted to remind the newbies of the importance of controlling your coil, as it applies to every and any detector you will ever own.
As a side note, I did approach the other detector and introduce myself. I showed him my finds and he especially liked the ring. I didn't mention that I found it in an area he already went over. He too was new to this hobby. I just assumed he was a veteran when I saw him with a 3030.
HAPPY HUNTING !

Excellent advice!!

And just goes to show you, it really IS the operator and not the machine in most cases!

it sounds to me like you've got it down pat! everything you describe that you do sounds really good to me. :yes:
from what you've said about the other dude having a high end machine, that doesn't mean anything. i know people who have very expensive cars....... but they still don't know how to drive worth a darn, lol. :lol:

Pete

Yep you were doing things right, he wasn't. His loss your gain. Well done on the finds you made.

I suppose if you are really picky about what you are willing to dig, maybe simply focused on finding the gold, going fast might work (doubts). The only way you are going to hear all the signals, is by going slow. On my machine, the sound only lasts as long as the target is in range of the coil, or until it hits on something else near it. The tone also describes the target. Deep targets aren't as loud. I just have a single tone, but Tesoro uses pretty much every possible aspect of that tone, to describe the target. I dig most everything, since I tend to revisit, but I get picky at times, and try to avoid wasting time on iron. Some places are target rich, and I don't want too many plugs close together, try for the better sounding targets. My Deleon has numbers and graphs, but I only watch those when I need to pick and choose.

I drive by my local honey hole at least twice a day in the course of my job. I see other detectorists there quite frequently and at first I got anxious that they were pulling out all the good stuff. Then I started paying attention to some of their methods. Coils being held six inches off the ground, lifting coils up at the ends of their sweep, grass flying everywhere cause they are swinging so fast they are doing the parks department a favor by mowing for them. Nothing more satisfying to me then going in behind another detector and pulling out goodies!

There are brand new detectorist that buy CTX3030 's as well. Most know the only down fall with fbs and bbs technology is the reduction in swing speed. You need to swing slower.

Back
Top Bottom