Need help choosing my first detector.

17hunter00

I've recently became very interested in metal detecting and would like to join the hobby, I have been looking into buying one but I just cant decide which one to get. My budget is anything $350 and under. I plan on searching fields and in woods for just about anything I can find that's old. My #1 choice so far is the Ace 350 on Kellyco cause of its ease of use and good performance.

So please leave a comment of which one I should get and maybe a why. A link would be appreciated too. Thanks,

Seems like you made a good choice, pm all the sponsors here on the top right,
Personally if you like Garrett id get a 250 bundle with upgraded coil pouch etc since you probablybneed that as well... Just want you to make sure your able to get everything you need in your budget.. F2 bundle and eurotrek are strong competitors, all depends on your personal preference.

Don't PM the sponsors, CALL them

I have the 250 with a DD coil. It's a fine machine, paid for itself and 2 more machines. 250 OR 350, you can't go wrong.

Whatever you do, give a sponsor a call. I bet you'll find your budget can stretch quite a bit farther than it would at kellyco. Jeff at QualityMetalDetectors is great.

Check out the Fisher F2. Great machine. It was my wifes first detector and she did outstanding with it. You can get it for less than $300 too.

I Recently returned to the hobby and set a $300-$350 budget. After research on YouTube, and the great folks on this forum I decided the ace 350 was best for the buck JMO, however after checking out my local MD shop, handling several machines and talking with the owner I lost my head and put a x terra 705 in layaway. Definitely not in my budget but hopefully I'll have it out by warm weather. GL and HH

I would look into a detector that has a numerical digital ID . The more discrimination segments the better. The icon type display on the Garrett is good but the numerical display gives you more information about your target.

Whatever you do, give a sponsor a call. I bet you'll find your budget can stretch quite a bit farther than it would at kellyco. Jeff at QualityMetalDetectors is great.

Agree with this. Kellyco wouldn't work with me on price at all but all of the forum sponsors did and they helped me a lot on price. I personally ended up going with Bart at Big Boys Hobbies. A phone call to one of them saves $$$ which means more detector for you to start out with.

ace 250, a propointer, and a lesche digging tool and you'll be up and running...
I found plenty of good stuff with my ace when i had it.

Agree with zeemang have heard 6-8" on quarters isn't much of a problem on a stock 250.. you won't gain much if any depth with the 350, its one thing if the 350 had proaudio or jewelry setting but it doesnt

Ace250 with the stock coil or fisher f2 with stock coil. Learn how to use one of those with the stock coil , then determine what other coil you need.

I have a Garrett Ace 350. It's a great machine, but if I had to do it all over again I probably would have shelled out the extra $ for an AT Pro. I will almost certainly upgrade at some point, but I don't regret the Ace; I have found some great stuff with it. :D

Welcome to the hobby!

Back
Top Bottom