Waterproof Explorer II ??????

WThesing

Elite Member
I figured I'd start this thread to see how much info I could gather.
I am looking to do more beach and water hunting this comming season. I am left with the decision of getting a water machine, and from what I am told, the Minelab Excaliber is the only viable choice in my area. The Excal is really a waterproof Sovereign. I don't want to risk my Explorer II to a possible surf mishap, thus the 2nd machine. The other choice is to modify my Explorer. The thinking is that it would be a superior MD, just needs to be waterproof, and I think Minelab is staying away from this idea, as it would hurt some of their other products.
I am looking for any info on mods to accomplish this. The requirement would be to be able to reassemble my machine to stock condition for land use or possible although doubtfull resale. I have hit this hobby pretty intensly as far as learning, and research, but I have no clue as to where to get some of the component items such as shafts, housings, etc. Mechanically, I can handle almost anything, as well as design. I just need a little help as to what items are available to get me started.

Thanks all!!!

Bill

Hard call Bill given the makeup of your machine. Campmor sells clear Lexan waterproof cases that might work. But you would still have to cut out part of the case, and install flexable clear plastic to operate the controls. Just how waterproof are you talking? A brief dunk, or surf splash. Or are you talking about extended submersion(sp).

Bill,

I visit quite a few water detecting boards and I know because I have seen the pictures some hunters have converted the EXII with divers cases where they install the unit into a case and they look great... I'm sure Max can help you out here...

I remember from my diving days, Ikelite made waterproof camera housings. I am not going deep submersible with this mod. :D I want to be able to withstand a drop in the surf or the engulfment of the waves at a little deeper than waist level. A hinged and gasketed case would be OK, as I can change my settings out of the water. Machining the case and other components is not a problem. I own a complete cabinetmaking shop with lots of sexy machinery.

I'd be very careful about using any detector in sea water, other than just getting the coil wet.

Otherwise buy a dedicated submersible machine. Salt water is very corrosive.

Charles Upstate NY, Max, and Mike Virgina Beach have some outrageous mods... I have 3 years left on my warranty so I'm not about to try this at home :duh:

Hope it's OK to post a link to another forum... this is from Charles. Check the previous post from Mike. Max also has some great pics of his mod somewhere. He posted them on one of the forums.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,274529,274917#msg-274917

Joe,
I PM'd Max, and his suggestion was to get the Excaliber. He said that although his mod worked fine, he wouldn't do it again. I take this advice seriously, and will probably go with the Excal. I also was considering the 3 1/2 years remaining on my warranty.

Sorry I missed this thread . Anyone who wants to convert the Explorer can see Charles (UpState NY) posts on the Geotech forum as he worked through the job. (Modifications section I think).

exp II

no water can get in

waterproof lexan box with all waterproof connectors

Attachments

• sexp3_132.jpg
    sexp3_132.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 2,839
  • sexp4_162.jpg
    sexp4_162.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 2,937
  • sexp5_712.jpg
    sexp5_712.jpg