Excalibur II Maintenance

jadocs

Forum Supporter
I searched but I couldn't find any recent or consolidated information. Please forgive me if this is redundant.

I'd like to start ordering what I need so I have it on hand. From what I understand from various forums: (please confirm)

1. Lubricants
A. Dow Corning 111 (o-rings and battery seal & prongs) (edited to add battery prongs)
B. McNett Silicon Spray (coil cable)
C. Dielectric grease for battery prongs (edited to add that Dow Corning 111 appears to be dialectric- non conductive)

...other? or can any of the above be substituted for each other?

2. Parts
A. Minelab OEM knobs (maintaining breakaway capability)
B. Top o-ring for knobs

..... here is where I need help. Should I order this from McMaster Carr or these Nitrile ones off eBay?....and are these the correct sizes for the top o-ring?

c7a137322ed1a22db3e28e00e9937b3e.jpg
efe21f9b61b56a0ac0845568ecbd4d8b.jpg

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
You can blame the military for making me anal about my equipment. Lol

I think mine had maybe 10 shower baths in 6 years . :(
It's not a pretty sight and is on its last breathe, however it still works and has paid its dues and then some .
I'm sure I'll never get it fixed as I'm that kind of guy, but my old buddy from here suggested I mount it on the walk once it gasps its last breath.

Be gentle to your Excal and stopping F'ing with the knobs and it will last forever .. almost :)

Biggest issue is headphones, so you need someone like OBN that can Mod/fix them and make your machine last another ten years .

Peace and best of luck with your Excsl !!

Best machine on the market for the price of you are going to hunt mostybeach :)
CHEERS !!

Best advice is get another for back up. As far as repairs....... put back some money. EVERY machine used will need repairs.......add salt water and its never ending. Best solution ive found is used blues. You might want to grab a parts machine if you can do the work yourself. These machines pay for themselves..... period, so the repairs are just part of it. A years warranty on a new one...... well theres the problem. They should offer extended warranties like most companies. Ive got an 08 Buick i still get warranty stuff in the mail for.

Dew

Best advice is get another for back up. As far as repairs....... put back some money. EVERY machine used will need repairs.......add salt water and its never ending. Best solution ive found is used blues. You might want to grab a parts machine if you can do the work yourself. These machines pay for themselves..... period, so the repairs are just part of it. A years warranty on a new one...... well theres the problem. They should offer extended warranties like most companies. Ive got an 08 Buick i still get warranty stuff in the mail for.

Dew
:newidea:
How about WE ALL write a petition to Tesoro to make a salt water, multi-frequency machine. Doesn't have to have as many frequencies as an Excal, just a few. Heck they can even use the same control boxes as the TS & SS to save on costs. Then we'll have a lifetime warranty. :dingding:

Dew

Dew the main reason I rarely mention the blue is because we buy any one we can find. My GF is kicking my CTXs butt on gold with the blue. In fact I left the CTX home one day and pulled a gold ring with the 8" blue in the middle of nowhere. The blue is likely the best beach detector ever invented. Just keep it to yourself so we can still afford them barely:lol:

Dew the main reason I rarely mention the blue is because we buy any one we can find. My GF is kicking my CTXs butt on gold with the blue. In fact I left the CTX home one day and pulled a gold ring with the 8" blue in the middle of nowhere. The blue is likely the best beach detector ever invented. Just keep it to yourself so we can still afford them barely:lol:

I call bullkrap! You 'Labbers are always exaggerating! Theres NO way you have a GF!:laughing::laughing:

My buddy that did my complete overhaul on my Blue says he believes that my Blue is more sensitive than his Excal II.

I just got a blue 1000 in great shape I love it and I love my explorer se also but i would trade the both for a ctx i would even through in my duel field

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input fellas. A backup machine would be great, probably not in the budget for a little while though. When you say Excal Blue I assume you're talking about the 1000?

I love to tinker and I'm not intimidated with doing my own maintenance. Just want to make sure I have the right parts on hand. Unless I'm off base it's just making sure I keep it rinsed/lubed after salt water use, and checking the top o-ring every now and then? I assume the knobs are reusable (unless I break them).

Thanks for the input fellas. A backup machine would be great, probably not in the budget for a little while though. When you say Excal Blue I assume you're talking about the 1000?

I love to tinker and I'm not intimidated with doing my own maintenance. Just want to make sure I have the right parts on hand. Unless I'm off base it's just making sure I keep it rinsed/lubed after salt water use, and checking the top o-ring every now and then? I assume the knobs are reusable (unless I break them).

Well yeah..and even though 15 Orings might seem to be overkill for us..you just never know when you get a job on a hog farm during castration season..Neither the Farmer nor the hog puplet care if those are McMaster Minelab O rings...still, it shows you have and eye for detail! Well done!

Mud thanks. I've heard Nitrile rings are preferred due to the spinning action of the knobs. I'm just confused on the size difference between those two options. Might not even matter, but I don't know what I don't know yet.

Back
Top Bottom