Electroloysis on iron relics

Jressman

Elite Member
Heres a common iron relic find at an old farm site. An iron buckle. I usually toss these, but I chose to preserve this one. Process also works exceptionally well on square nails. I'm starting to love the iron relics most people pass on, or toss out.

Here's the buckle after a wire brush scrub. Actually looks decent this way.

cf36b09c7bfd2c3a38524177b03e3ca3_zps6cecd602.jpg

Homemade setup using a cell phone charger and my lady's flower vase :lol: See that rust melting off!

c320ef5ea2e6f339a301f629b89d9978_zps3e205dd4.jpg

End result: this is after a hot wax coating to prevent further rust.

04bd7c76f409a3b5581a38b9726471a4_zpsaae62672.jpg

Was just today getting the tools needed to set up a system like that...question..for heavier finds, I read where a car battery charger can be used. Two part question: Can you hook up the wires to a car battery and get the same results? And if so, should you just hook up the cables to the battery or should you have the car running? Or is that not recommended? Some insight would be appreciated.

Can you hook up the wires to a car battery and get the same results?

Just get a couple of nice junk power supplies from the thrift store (DC only)

If not careful it is common to get shorting out in this process.... that would not be good if direct to car battery.

I've used old cell phone chargers for small stuff...was figuring to clean a rather heavy piece of yet still unknown "what is it" category, I'd need more power. So a car battery charger is the recommended way to go? I'll need to hit the garage sales, junk shops etc...local pawn shop had a almost new in the box charger but didn't feel like spending $60 for something I'd only use here and there...

Can you do a demo or tutorial of your hot wax method?? I have some items that I need to wax.

Back
Top Bottom