Silver in disguise-- and what's up with Rhodium?

TK-421

So I found a couple junk rings during one of my earlier hunts and the other day I was cleaning them up a bit to add them to the junk-jewelry box. One was a big ugly clunker, the other really small (almost too small for my pinky, and I have really thin fingers!) with a some obviously glass or cz stones and some plating chipping off of it.

Now the TK4 has no opinion about which metal is which, but I had figured the small ring must be junk-- heavily corroded, sand and shell bits stuck to it, obvious plating, right?

But as I'm chipping sand out of the inside I uncover a mark- "925"

Was this ring somebody's scam? You don't put the 925 on stuff that's just silver plated, right?

So I painstakingly grind through the layers of corrosion and polish it up. Sure enough-- silver. Huh. Then what was up with the plating? I'd never heard of somebody plating silver. I mean, it's already silver, right?

So since the ring has words on it I do some quick googling in Japanese and find the original ring.

Yep- Rhodium Plated silver with CZ and rose quartz.

I freely admit I didn't even remember Rhodium was an element on the periodic table, so I had to do a little more research.

Apparently it's very shiny, very valuable en masse (though only a negligible amount is used in plating), and very brittle. It's most commonly used on low K gold to give it a pure-white shine.

Thing is- it can't take a beating. It will crack and chip off pretty easily. Putting it on silver seems like a really bad idea since silver is pretty soft and, ya know, already shines pretty white on its own.

So I'm curious-- have the rest of you jewelry-hunters run into Rhodium plated stuff before? Is it at all common? Have you ever seen it survive the ocean? Would the folks at ARA (or another refinery) have any problem taking rhodium plated PM items (not sending my silver in, but wondering for future reference)?

Attachments

• File_001 (3).jpg
    File_001 (3).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 655
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 10.04.45 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 10.04.45 AM.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 622
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 9.50.58 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 9.50.58 AM.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 583
  • File_000 (4) copy.jpg
    File_000 (4) copy.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 742
White gold is rhodium plated as you stated that's what makes it white. I love finding white gold rings as for me they're usually 14K. I also like seeing when the white is wearing off and the yellow shows - always a good sign for me! Maybe your ring was rhodium plated to prevent tarnish?

There is another post about the same thing, I just commented on...

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=245022

<°)))>{

Ooo, I see. Interesting. That plated cross-ring you found was huge! Even if silver isn't worth that much, must have been satisfying to find out it wasn't junk!

White gold is rhodium plated as you stated that's what makes it white. I love finding white gold rings as for me they're usually 14K. I also like seeing when the white is wearing off and the yellow shows - always a good sign for me! Maybe your ring was rhodium plated to prevent tarnish?

Cool! That's good to know! I sure hope I get to see some rhodium flaking off of yellow soon!

Yeah, maybe it was to prevent tarnish. More likely to make it look fancy so it could be sold for more. The price for that $2 worth of silver and fake stones was originally $50. Crazy!

Ooo, I see. Interesting. That plated cross-ring you found was huge! Even if silver isn't worth that much, must have been satisfying to find out it wasn't junk!

Thanks, I've actually found gold worth less than than that silver ring a couple times...

<°)))>{

Rhodium is used as a plating to make the ring shiny and to prevent tarnish. As previously stated a lot of "White Gold" is just yellow gold with a rhodium plating.

Rhodium

I had a similar situation with a heavy figaro chain I found a couple years ago. It looked silver in spots, but in other spots it was extra shiny and flaking off. It rang up as silver, but it was slightly attracted to a strong magnet. It was stamped 925. I was really confused. I alternated between excited I found it and ready to chuck it, thinking it was junk. :?:

Google eventually set me straight.

Back
Top Bottom